Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I think they discontinued the 800 after the SB900 was introduced, I could be wrong.

Ah, I think you are right. My mistake. Know a good reliable place to buy second hand so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Right, I'm feeling like a right tool because I have not a clue about specifics with camera's...

Basicly, I'm fed up with the Sony and the Olympus Pen has been tempting me for quite a while now, but I don't understand what the technicalities mean :( "half frame" "micro 4/3 camera"

Also, was looking at it in the airport, t is only a tiny wee thing and the BF asked me "why is it so expensive" and again I couldn't answer it... And then there are people saying it's nothing but a hipster camera, so I'm wondering, am I going completely mental for wanting the bloody thing?

Hellup!

Stephen Fry has one you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Hi all,

I know point-and-clicks are practically sinful on this forum, but I can't afford anything better and I feel like I could use one to gauge my interest in photography.

I know from the link on the first page that, apparently, most point-and-clicks are useless and choosing between them is pointless.

But still... I'm looking for a point-and-click for about €100 or less, and surely there are features that are more important than others when deciding between models? I want a decent camera that can take a few nice scenery/people shots. Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Phantasos wrote: »
    Hi all, I know point-and-clicks are practically sinful on this forum,

You've answered your own question in fact. P&S generally will do landscape and scenes reasonably well, but people are horrible.

Quite honestly the camera on the iPone 4, Samsung Tacco and the likes are better so I'd recommend you look in this direction at a modern smart phone instead of a cheap P&S.

Buy disposable cameras and get a disk and prints, fantastic, you'd get ten for your €100 P&S and some can even be underwater versions too. How bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Someone might laugh at the old fart here, but if you've got 100bucks and want to get into photography take decent pictures buying a second hand film camera would be a good option. Canon AE-1 on eBay for 30/40 quid (great cameras! Cool too!) spend the rest on film and processing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

gbee wrote: »
    Quite honestly the camera on the iPone 4, Samsung Tacco and the likes are better so I'd recommend you look in this direction at a modern smart phone instead of a cheap P&S.

Buy disposable cameras and get a disk and prints, fantastic, you'd get ten for your €100 P&S and some can even be underwater versions too. How bad!

Have you seen the images from camera phones? Even shots the expensive phones don't compare well to a basic point and shoot.

You also don't have optical zoom, sometimes no flash or a weak one at best and functionality is generally slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

RichyX wrote: »
    Have you seen the images from camera phones? Even shots the expensive phones don't compare well to a basic point and shoot..

I'd return the question to you.

My iPhone camera is great and I know it's not the best available and it has fantastic video too. We do have sensor limitations and the P&S "SHOULD" be better but in reality too many are not as good or as fast.

My arsenal includes the Fuji F50D: Pentax W30: Canon G5 and few DSLRs. I can print 8x6" from the iPhone or Tocco Ultra and they are fab with good tonality and dynamic range, especially the Tocco U.

I've no hesitation in leaving my high end P&S at home with my phone in my pocket.

gbee wrote: »
    I'd return the question to you.

My iPhone camera is great and I know it's not the best available and it has fantastic video too. We do have sensor limitations and the P&S "SHOULD" be better but in reality too many are not as good or as fast.

My arsenal includes the Fuji F50D: Pentax W30: Canon G5 and few DSLRs. I can print 8x6" from the iPhone or Tocco Ultra and they are fab with good tonality and dynamic range, especially the Tocco U.

I've no hesitation in leaving my high end P&S at home with my phone in my pocket.

A camera phone still won't have optical zoom or image stabilisation, and only an LED flash, all of which limit what it can do.
    Most P&S cameras has all of those features.

The iPhone camera is very good for what it is, but still very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Looking to buy a SLR soon, seeing what the options are

Looking for something to begin with..

Option 1

Canon EOS 1000D + 18-55mm Kit

Option 2

Sony Alpha a290 with 18-55mm Lens

Option 3

Sony Alpha a390 with 18-70mm Lens

Anyone with any experiences with any of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Heebie wrote: »
    The S7000 is a pretty early bridge camera. (the S6900z being the only one I remember earlier in the Fuji line.) .....

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Hey Condra,

I have an S7000 as Heebie said, and it's a great camera for starting off with, and learning the essentials.

Thanks both for the replies regarding the Fuji cameras. In the end though, I ended up spending a bit more (160) and getting a used Canon 300D. Only 6MP but I thought it would be best for me to get stuck into an SLR sooner rather than later. So far so good.

• Advertisement

DMG_49 wrote: »

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

I didn't even know Canon made the 1000D anymore. It's a pretty old camera at this stage.

The Pentax Kx would be a good alternative to those. Great camera in low light and it has video recording too.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

DMG_49 wrote: »

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Looks like you were on the Jessops website :-)

I bought the A390 +18-70 kit before Christmas with the Tamron 70-300. So far so good with the camera and kit lens, not yet convinced by the Tamron (budget?) lens although I haven't had much of a chance to explore wither the kit lens or the Tamron. I changed from a Sony H7 Bridge camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Looks like you were on the Jessops website :-)

I bought the A390 +18-70 kit before Christmas with the Tamron 70-300. So far so good with the camera and kit lens, not yet convinced by the Tamron (budget?) lens although I haven't had much of a chance to explore wither the kit lens or the Tamron. I changed from a Sony H7 Bridge camera.

Yeah was on that website, can you recommend any more good website for buying?

What something to start off with that decent, so I can get practice with it.

P.S: Mods thanks for moving this didn't realise it had to go here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

im trying to buy the nikon d3000 but everywhere is out of stock.....
    i tried pc world and they said they where reduced and they wouldnt be getting more in. does that mean they are possibly realseing a new one?

Possibly they are not making this model anymore as they have the D5000 and have just recently released the D3100.

Some of the more knowledgable folk on here might confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

aww i wanted one around that price and i also got told that was an entry level camera :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pinky99

Which camera did you get? Im thinking of getting the Nikon 3100 is it a good camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Hi,

I am looking for camera for backpacking RTW. (central/south america, NZ/OZ)
    I'm just getting in to photography and plan to read and try different setups as i travel on photography.
    My dad has a Nikon D90 but i dont want to bring something that big/expensive
    was looking along the lines of one of the "Super Zooms" i think there called (15-30x zoom and wide angle in one)

Maybe one that allows manual setting and auto?

Any recommendations around the 300 mark or second hand?
    HD Video would be great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kevinw07

I ended up going for the D3100 i think its a great camera but i am only a beginner, i just collected some prints for the first time today and the results are brilliant. I found the nikon to feel better in my hand compared to the cannon. If you need any more info you can contact me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pinky99

kevinw07 wrote: »
    I ended up going for the D3100 i think its a great camera but i am only a beginner, i just collected some prints for the first time today and the results are brilliant. I found the nikon to feel better in my hand compared to the cannon. If you need any more info you can contact me.

Thats the one that I want to get, what is it like? I looked at the nikon the other day and really liked it, is it easy to use? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me a little. My dad is looking for a new camera. I advised him on an ixus before which he happily used for years, and using an S3IS myself I have always leaned towards the canons as point and shoot camera's. Not so sure anymore though.

As he travels a lot his requirements have changed a bit too. He's look for a camera that:

Is compact so it can be pocketed.
    Has a decent zoom (as far as can be expected)
    Records video in HD.
    Can take a good panoramic pic. (I have an Olympus too which stitches very well within the camera)
    It will mostly be used for scenery but also indoors at times.
    Good battery life.
    He has no interest in adjusting any ISO/Tv/Av etc. Must be pretty much automatic with good scene selections.

Thanks a million in advance for your replies ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Buzzfish- have a look here. It's DPreview.com Compact Camera Group Test: Travel Zooms.
    And here for their conclusions and ratings.

...the Samsung HZ35W offers the most versatile lens. Covering an astonishing 24-360mm (equivalent) the Samsung truly is a jack of all trades, as comfortable picking out distant details as it is with sweeping landscapes or interiors. The Samsung also delivers excellent image quality,

Thanks a million, that Samsung looks like it's do the job nicely alright.

I'm struggling to see it for sale anywhere here though? Does it have a different model no in Ireland ? (WB650)

Have you any suggestions as to where I'd find it at the best prices?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Thanks a million, that Samsung looks like it's do the job nicely alright.

I'm struggling to see it for sale anywhere here though? Does it have a different model no in Ireland ? (WB650)

Have you any suggestions as to where I'd find it at the best prices?

Thanks again!

It's the WB650 in Europe alright.
    I'd say Ebay or online. The older model is £140 (add delivery etc) here. Difference is EB650 has a GPS and AMOLED screen and other than that they’re pretty much the same.

dinneenp wrote: »
    It's the WB650 in Europe alright.
    I'd say Ebay or online. The older model is £140 (add delivery etc) here. Difference is EB650 has a GPS and AMOLED screen and other than that they’re pretty much the same.

Dinneenp, Thanks a million for your guidance. I have found the wb650 on amazon. Even though the reviews of the gps don't look particularly encouraging I went for this model. As my folks travel around a lot in their motor home, I'm sure that if we can get the feature working, it'll be a great way to catalog their journeys.

I'm having the camera delivered to me so I'll let you know my thoughts once it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Is there any difference between a Irish canon 450d and its American equivliant the eos rebel xsi.

Is there anything one should be aware if buying one in the states and using it back here?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The plug on the charger is different. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

5uspect wrote: »
    The plug on the charger is different. That's about it.

Cheers so if i buy a irish plug it should work grand, it wont explode or anything? does the voltage difference effect the battery or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

What about warranty? Is that covered too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement