Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

AFAIK lenses have international warranties but bodies don't.

I bought my US 7D from Ian Kerr (Kerso) and he provides a full UK warranty but if you're buying it yourself have a look at Mack warranties.

The charger works fine BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

The lovely miss raptor has just bought me an Olympus E-450 I have the chance of getting a 800mm canon lens at a knock down price can anyone tell me is there an adaptor that will allow me use a canon lens on my new camera? if so where would I get it and roughly how much

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

i'm looking for a really good simple digital camera BUT am looking to pay as little as possible, a camera thats very user friendly and gives a good sharp picture... any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Kassie, at low prices probably stick to a well known name like Nikon/Canon/Olympus/Sony. I bought my Mum a Nikon camera for Christmas, cost €99 in argos

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

800mm?!
    800mm-f56-600.jpg
    Is it 80mm by any chance?
    You can get lens adaptors alright but you won't be able to autofocus and if it's a newer canon lens with electronic aperture control you won't be able to control that either. The small extension due to the adaptor will most likely cause you to lose infinity focus also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Undercover_

Hi guys,

Unfortunately my trust Nikon d70 has died a death so in the market for an upgrade. Unfortunately my budget is only €500. I'm looking at either getting the 3100 body only from Conns or looking at a used D200 for a similiar price.

I've looked at various comparisons online, but still struggling to make a decision. Obviously either is a significant upgrade from the d70. I like the 3100 as I can get it new with a guarantee but from looking through flickr so far I prefer the quality of the images I've seen from the d200. Any advice? :)

ps- video isn't important at all. I have to stick with Nikon as all my lenses were used with the d70

cheers

edit: Have just discovered the D3100 doesn't have an autofocus motor built in, this could be a dealbreaker as the d70 did and none of my lenses are AF-S. I've the d70 kit lens, a Sigma 10-20mm & nifty 50. Would I be right in saying that I wouldn't be able to use the autofocus feature on the d3100 (body only) with any of my existing lenses? For my budget is the d200 now the best option or would any other Nikon dSLRs be advisable?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Think I have decided on the Panasonic Lumix FZ38/35.

Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭shazza07

I'm new to photography & would love to do try out macro photography without having to fork out for a decent macro lens, yet anyway. I have a 18-55mm kit lens & 50mm f1.8 would either of the following suit better or could anyone recommend better option. Also I've heard they can get stuck :(

Wide angle lens
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/58MM-WideAngle-Lens-CANON-350D-400D-450D-500D-1000D-/170449131490?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item27af8f57e2

Macro extension tube
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Macro-Extension-Tube-3-Ring-Canon-EF-50mm-f-1-8-II-Lens-/270476210985?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item3ef9a37329

Thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

shazza07 wrote: »
    I'm new to photography & would love to do try out macro photography without having to fork out for a decent macro lens, yet anyway. I have a 18-55mm kit lens & 50mm f1.8 would either of the following suit better or could anyone recommend better option. Also I've heard they can get stuck :(

Wide angle lens
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/58MM-WideAngle-Lens-CANON-350D-400D-450D-500D-1000D-/170449131490?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item27af8f57e2

Macro extension tube
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Macro-Extension-Tube-3-Ring-Canon-EF-50mm-f-1-8-II-Lens-/270476210985?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item3ef9a37329

Thankyou
    Hello Shazza, macro isn't my thing but the wide-angle adapter isn't going to help you but the extenstion tube would be a good option. Another option is the reversing ring. Don't ask me which is better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The D200 is a fine camera, I used one right up until recently, only sold it to get a D90 as I wanted something a little lighter with Live view for now, as I've a back injury. I actually think the D200 produced nicer contrast in images from the CCD sensor than the more pale, and only slightly sharper Cmos D90 images. Though I do find I don't need to process as much now as the D90 has slightly better IQ overall.

It's a great camera for handling and control, you will rarely need to use the LCD screen, apart from reviewing images/formatting/mirror lock up for cleaning and a couple of other minor things that can't be controlled by buttons or switches on the body itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hi all,

Friend was offered one of these with an 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens with a Camera bag and a 1 day camera course in Cork City for 800 euro.

Neither of us are sure if it's a good deal or not. Can anyone inform us if it is, or whether there is a better deal out there, and where.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

You could use this to make a comparison.

Canon EOS 500D Twin Lens Premium Bundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Dave147 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Friend was offered one of these with an 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens with a Camera bag and a 1 day camera course in Cork City for 800 euro.

Neither of us are sure if it's a good deal or not. Can anyone inform us if it is, or whether there is a better deal out there, and where.

Thanks in advance.

The camera is good. The 18-55mm kit lens is quite good. The 75-300mm
    is not such a good lens. You would be better off getting the standard 500D
    + 18-55mm IS kit at round €620 from Argos or Pissy World. You can use
    this figure as a starting point for haggling in the smaller camera shops.
    MacSweeneys in Oliver Plunkett St. are usually up for a bit of haggling.

You can always buy a longer/better zoom lens later.

If you have €800 burning a hole in your pocket, you might also consider
    the Eos 550D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Hi,

I will be heading off to Asia in a few months for a long trip and apart from my Nikon D80 Slr, I want to take a decent compact camera so as i can bring hold in my pocket for the occasions when the Slr would be of no use.

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix S52c which I like, but I feel there's better in the €200 range?

Can ye please give me a few of your expert recommendations on possible compacts that I should look up?

Thanks in advance folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Can you explain why the 75-300mm lens isn't good? The camera will be used for plane spotting amongst other things, I'll suggest the 550 and see what he says. I know Ray and Stephen in MacSweeneys so maybe they can do a deal for us.

What lens would you recommend besides the one on it. (Camera newb)

whats your opinions on the PENTAX OPTIO W90 and the Panasonic Linux FT2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Dave147 wrote: »
    Can you explain why the 75-300mm lens isn't good?

There are several 70(ish) to 300mm zoom lenses available for the Canon.
    The most popular of the cheap lenses are the Canon 75-300mm, Tamron 70-300mm
    and the two variants of the Sigma 70-300mm. The Canon lens is arguably the worst
    lens in this price range. You could forgive the cheap build quality because of the
    low price, but the optical quality if this lens is also quite poor. This lens
    tends to be soft (lacking sharpness) and has very slow autofocus. The
    Sigma 70-300mm APO or the Tamron 70-300mm would be a better buy.
    These aren't great lenses either, but they are a little better than the Canon.
    The going rate for a used Sigma or Tamron is around €100.

The camera will be used for plane spotting amongst other things

You really would need a faster and sharper lens for plane spotting. The
    70-300mm IS USM would be a better choice. Unfortunately it is quite a
    bit more expensive. You will find used ones on adverts.ie. from time to
    time.

I'll suggest the 550 and see what he says. I know Ray and Stephen in MacSweeneys so maybe they can do a deal for us.

The 500D is a fine camera. I have one myself. I would probably
    buy the 550D if I was buying now. The new 60D looks nice, but it
    is a bit more expensive.
    What lens would you recommend besides the one on it. (Camera newb)

There is no good answer to that question. The best lens for your stated
    purpose of aircraft spotting would probably be a high quality and very
    large prime lens costing several thousand euro. The 70-300mm IS USM
    is very good. If you can live with a focal length of 200mm, the Canon
    70-200 f/4L is a very good lens. These often come up for sale when users
    are upgrading to the more expensive f/2.8 IS version.

The only 300mm lens I have is the Sigma 70-300mm APO. This isn't a
    great lens, but it is a little better than the other lenses in the same price
    range. Some pictures here:
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1628566/size/800
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1630411/size/800
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1638189/size/800

Hi,

I will be heading off to Asia in a few months for a long trip and apart from my Nikon D80 Slr, I want to take a decent compact camera so as i can bring hold in my pocket for the occasions when the Slr would be of no use.

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix S52c which I like, but want something a little more powerful!

Can ye please give me a few of your expert recommendations on possible compacts that I should look up?

Thanks in advance folks.

I've been looking at the following three:

1. Canon s95
    2. PENTAX OPTIO W90
    3. Panasonic Linux FT2

Which would be overall the best choice for my above question?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix S52c which I like, but I feel there's better in the €200 range?
    Thanks in advance folks.

you want a travel zoom camera- read here.
    A top end quality but shorter zoom read http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/page18.asp.
    they don't include the Samsung EX1/TL500 (thinking of getting this one myself).

dinneenp wrote: »
    you want a travel zoom camera- read here.
    A top end quality but shorter zoom read http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/page18.asp.
    they don't include the Samsung EX1/TL500 (thinking of getting this one myself).

Thanks for that.

My budget is around €400 for a compact. I'm looking for something that will give me the best photos possible in that range. I like the look of the S95 so far.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

My budget is around €400 for a compact. I'm looking for something that will give me the best photos possible in that range. I like the look of the S95 so far.

I used to own the S90, very nice, extremelly pocketable.
    I played with the Samsung in shop in London for a few minutes and was very impressed. Pic quality on the screen is by far the best, it has shorter zoom but is a faster lens. it can take an EVF as well if you want...
    If you can get your hands on one to try out do. not as small but seems very good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Hi all!

Just before xmas i got myself a lovely Pentax K-x at argos for €410 couldn't beat that price anywhere.

I particularly like its low light performance and high speed shooting.

The low price allows me to get a budget zoom lens too, which i'm looking onto right now.
    I'm leaning towards something like the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro APO €196 from pixmania.

One thing i'd be looking for (again) is low light performance, as time and time again i find myself taking photographs on very dull or overcast days, or at dusk/night. I know this lens isn't renowned for its low light performance, but I dont want to give up the macro and zoom capability.
    What are the alternatives for around this price? or are there any??

dinneenp wrote: »
    I used to own the S90, very nice, extremelly pocketable.
    I played with the Samsung in shop in London for a few minutes and was very impressed. Pic quality on the screen is by far the best, it has shorter zoom but is a faster lens. it can take an EVF as well if you want...
    If you can get your hands on one to try out do. not as small but seems very good to me.

Are you referring to the Samsung EX1/TL500?

No HD video though on that model?

Are you referring to the Samsung EX1/TL500?

No HD video though on that model?

True, it's only VGA I think and short zoom.

Hi all!

Just before xmas i got myself a lovely Pentax K-x at argos for €410 couldn't beat that price anywhere.

I particularly like its low light performance and high speed shooting.

The low price allows me to get a budget zoom lens too, which i'm looking onto right now.
    I'm leaning towards something like the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro APO €196 from pixmania.

One thing i'd be looking for (again) is low light performance, as time and time again i find myself taking photographs on very dull or overcast days, or at dusk/night. I know this lens isn't renowned for its low light performance, but I dont want to give up the macro and zoom capability.
    What are the alternatives for around this price? or are there any??

I have a K-X too and bought a 17-50mm constant f2.8 lens. You could also look at a 28-75 constant f2.8 lens. Not the longest reach but good for low light. You can find both for just a bit above €200 on places like http://pentaxuser.co.uk or Ebay.

If you want longer reach and good for low light it's a lot more expensive....

Not what you want but a fixed aperture lens (50mm, 35mm etc) you can get as fast as f1.2- expensive though.
    Most common would be 50mm f1.8. Great for low light but no zoom and not macro. I'd advise getting auto focus over manual. I had an f1.7 but sold it to finance my 17-50mm f2.8 lens. my next lens will hopefully be a 50mm f1.4 (if I can afford it).
    Some sites that'll help you-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

panasonic sounds ok.... alternatives are secondhand Canon g10, g11 (I'm a Canon person - dont know much about other cameras)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

I have just bought a second battery for my Sony DSLR. Neither the original nor the spare came in a little case. When I was using my old H7 bridge, the second battery came with a case.

Can anyone tell me if those little plastic battery cases are available to buy separately? If not, what is the best way to store the spare battery in my camera bag?

Thanks in advance, SL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I just store my spares (Nikon & Canon) in a small pocket in the gear bag without any covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Not worried about the bulk size wondering if the digital cameras which look like SLR are becoming more popular? I know for a good SLR you are talking about €500 but there are many cameras now e.g Fuji S2800 which Panasonic Lumix which are around €250 which look like a SLR with not as many features Is this style the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Hi,

I can't decide between the Canon EF 50mm 1.8 or the 1.4, except that the €250 difference is putting me off the 1.4. Is the extra stop, and the better glass worth all the extra cash?

Yes, I know the percieved wisdom is to put your money into glass.

I'm running both film and digital bodies, EOS 30 and EOS 400D, and will use the lens on both. I have the "kit" lenses, EF 28-80 and EFS 18-55, as well as the cheap 28mm 2.8. Long term, I might upgrade the 400D to a xxD, but not anytime this year.

Comments? Thanks... Aidan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement