Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Style is the last thing you should be looking at. Functionality is the main thing to look for when buying a camera. What do you want from a camera? would you use a DSLR to its full potential or would it be wasted on you?

If you are in the market for an SLR you'll be looking at an entry cost of about 500 quid. better ones cost double that for body's alone.

For 500 quid though, theres a lot of good quality compacts, bridges etc to be had out there. it really comes down to what you'll be doing with your camera and what you expect from it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Ok I've done some research on the following 3 models and can't decide which one to go with;

1: Canon S95
    2: Canon G12
    3: Panosonic Lumix LX5

Can anyone tip the scales for me with their recommendations or experience with using the above camera?

I've decided that I don't want to haul my Slr around Asia for 6 months but would like a camera that will give me decent quality photos in a smaller body.

Video isn't really important so no zoom etc relating to video mode doesn't matter to me.

Hope Ye guys can help me make a decision.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robbienintendo

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding the purchase of a D-SLR.

A little background first. I studied photography at college over 10 years ago and never pursued it once I finished.

Fast forward 10 years and here I am, trying to get back into it.
    The problem is, when I studied photography in was all done with film/darkrooms and chemicals.

My oh my how the landscape has changed !!

So now I'm back to square one & a total beginner with this 'digital' thing. :pac:

I need a recommandation on the best DSLR for me.
    I was looking at the Nikon D3100 for 599, but I hear this is only an entry level SLR.

I was thinking I could pick the D3100 up and just use better lens with it.
    My concern is I might 'out grow' it pretty fast + I'm told that files/image quality might not be up to par if the end goal is professional shooting.
    Again, I'm pretty new to the digital revolution in photography so stop me I'm not making sense.

So, should I go with the D3100 (with a decent lens) and re-learn on it for the next few months or is it worth spending the extra cash now on a superior body?
    (Willing to spend between 600 - 800)

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Nikon D40 Advice for Lense, I've a Nikon D40 and am very happy with the camera but i need a new lense as i mainly use it for Taking Showjumping photos and the stock lense doesnt do the job fully, i was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-70-300mm-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0012X43P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294947095&sr=8-1

Would this do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I'm looking at the Sigma 70-300mm too, from what I've been reading there is an APO version which is markedly better than the standard version. APO is some sort of lens coating which improves the quality of the images, albeit at roughly €50 more...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Nikon D40 Advice for Lense, I've a Nikon D40 and am very happy with the camera but i need a new lense as i mainly use it for Taking Showjumping photos and the stock lense doesnt do the job fully, i was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-70-300mm-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0012X43P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294947095&sr=8-1

Would this do the job?

This is not a good lens for showjumping shots. At f/5.6 at the long end, it
    is too slow for fast action or low light in an indoor arena. The autofocus
    motor is also quite slow. This would be a good lens for outdoor shots in
    good light. Ideally, you want an f/2.8 or faster telephoto lens with a fast
    focus motor. Unfortunately, such lenses are quite expensive.

If you do decide to buy the Sigma, it might be worth spending
    a bit more on the APO version. I have the Canon version of this
    lens. It is quite good for outdoor shots, but pretty useless indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

Hi, I've somehow managed to lose my charger for my Nikon D50. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a new one? I don't mind if it's third-party.

Thanks!

Ok I've done some research on the following 3 models and can't decide which one to go with;

1: Canon S95
    2: Canon G12
    3: Panosonic Lumix LX5

Can anyone tip the scales for me with their recommendations or experience with using the above camera?

I've decided that I don't want to haul my Slr around Asia for 6 months but would like a camera that will give me decent quality photos in a smaller body.

Video isn't really important so no zoom etc relating to video mode doesn't matter to me.

Hope Ye guys can help me make a decision.

Thanks

I decided on the G12. Fits what I need it for and while bigger than the S95, its certainly smaller than my D80+lens.

So while I'm ordering it, can ye give me some advice about what to get in terms of filters and convertors?

Would a wide angle and telephoto adapter be worth getting?

Can the G12 shoot in 16:9 format?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I have been struggling to decide which camera to go for, I'm leaning towards the Micro 4/3 system and the two that are in my budget are the Olympus PEN E-PL1 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 they both seem to have their pros and cons but the Olympus seems to win out on most of the reviews, however most reviews mention that the Olympus has poor autofocus which would be a problem in poor light and fast moving shots. I like to take photos of nature, animals in motion as well as landscape, but not sure if this focus issue would be a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭shazza07

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello Shazza, macro isn't my thing but the wide-angle adapter isn't going to help you but the extenstion tube would be a good option. Another option is the reversing ring. Don't ask me which is better!

Thanks alot Kelly1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Hi

I have an Olympus evolt 510 with the 14-42mm kit lens. I love the camera but hate the lens. I want a decent 50mm prime lens and a decent 50mm macro lens but have limited funds so am considering buying the OM system lenses second hand and using an adapter. I have them on a 'try them out' basis at the moment but haven't had a chance to get out and use them just took a few snaps at home. Does anybody else use these or anybody have any advice. Manual focusing will take time to get used to I know but the photo quality is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

I decided on the G12. Fits what I need it for and while bigger than the S95, its certainly smaller than my D80+lens.

So while I'm ordering it, can ye give me some advice about what to get in terms of filters and convertors?

Would a wide angle and telephoto adapter be worth getting?

Can the G12 shoot in 16:9 format?

The Canon S95 and G12 are basically the same, with the main difference being ergonomics. The G12 also has a longer 5x zoom, compared to a 4x zoom on the S95 - and a maximum aperture of f2.8, compared to a larger f2 on the S95. The Canon S95 is more portable and pocketable, and is half the weight of the G12 - but the G12 has better battery life. If you have a preference for the ergonomics and battery life of the G12, over the portability and faster lens of the S95, then that's your best choice. Both cameras can shoot in 16:9 format. I can't comment on wide angle and telephoto adapters, filters and such - but Lensmate might be worth checking in this regard.

I have the earlier Canon S90, and am very happy with it - and find it to be a very fully featured camera for its format. Olympus have just released the new competing XZ-1 compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've tried both, reverse ring > those adapters any day. Only thing is you'll be working in full manual with the reverse ring and it can be tricky as it can be very hard to see through the VF when you use this method.

woody_2000 wrote: »
    The Canon S95 and G12 are basically the same, with the main difference being ergonomics. The G12 also has a longer 5x zoom, compared to a 4x zoom on the S95 - and a maximum aperture of f2.8, compared to a larger f2 on the S95. The Canon S95 is more portable and pocketable, and is half the weight of the G12 - but the G12 has better battery life. If you have a preference for the ergonomics and battery life of the G12, over the portability and faster lens of the S95, then that's your best choice. Both cameras can shoot in 16:9 format. I can't comment on wide angle and telephoto adapters, filters and such - but Lensmate might be worth checking in this regard.

I have the earlier Canon S90, and am very happy with it - and find it to be a very fully featured camera for its format. Olympus have just released the new competing XZ-1 compact.

Thanks for the informative reply dude! I've not that familiar with these "tube Adapters" and converters. Could someone point me to a link when I can better understand what they do etc and what exactly I would need to order if I wanted say a wide-angle adapter and telephoto adapter?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Hey everyone :)

I'm in the market for a new SLR and when it comes to this sort of thing I tend to be pretty indecisive :rolleyes:

Had a quick browse the other day and these four stood out to me...

- Sony A390
    - Pentax KX
    - Nikon D5000
    - Canon EOS 1000D

Any thoughts on these would be much appreciated :D

Oh! If anyone has any other camera suggestions please let me know :D

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It doesn't really make a difference. If you want more second hand gear to choose from then get a canon or nikon. There's a sticky at the top that will tell you all you want. I guess you already know this question has been asked a thousand times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

There isn't a massive difference between the top brands, in the various range levels.
    With photography, however, you're not buying a camera, you're buying into a camera system. You'll probably end up buying lenses, a flash gun & various other accessories specific to the model brand.

If you're serious about this, or there's a chance you could get serious, then Canon & Nikon have the bigger ranges of lenses available, but tend to be more expensive.

If you will be satisfied with a body & the odd lens, then it's about the camera that feels most comfortable to you & which matches your needs. Only you can answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

One good thing about Sony dslrs is that you can use any of the old Konica/Minolta range of lenses, and every lens you stick on the camera is auto-stabilized thanks to the body ISS.

But ... it is far easier get hold of Nikon or Canon lenses, but more expensive.

Pros and cons to all makes and models really.

They're all pretty much standard entry level dslrs besides, and will all do the same job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

I'd love some help please. I have a lowepro slingshot 200AW, which is a great bag, and can hold all my gear. I also have a basic triangular bag for holding camera. However, I'd like an inbetween bag ... one that will hold canon slr with 35-200lens and 50 prime lens, and flash. I don't want something too big, just enough to hold these. I'm looking some up to buy on memory.co.uk (cause i'm buying memory too), but amn't sure what one would suit...

So any suggestions welcome ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

slingshot 100 sounds like the one you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have Lowepro FastPack 350 I would like to pass to somebody else. I have 5D, 24-70 (or 70-200), 50, flash, batteries and cables in the camera compartment. There is standard compartment for anything you want to bring with you and also back pocket for laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)

I'm in the market for a new SLR and when it comes to this sort of thing I tend to be pretty indecisive :rolleyes:

Had a quick browse the other day and these four stood out to me...

- Sony A390
    - Pentax KX
    - Nikon D5000
    - Canon EOS 1000D

Any thoughts on these would be much appreciated :D

Oh! If anyone has any other camera suggestions please let me know :D

Thank you.

I chose the K-X.

Standard AA batteries (Sanyo Eneloops really last for ages, and don't lose charge when sitting idle), built-in 3 pic HDR shooting, handles low light really well, relatively fast continuous shooting...

It just seemed like a really good buy @ €419.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KirkBigalow

I am looking to get myself a good camera and don’t know the first thing about camera's other that there is one on my phone. I have about €250 to spend so will probably looking at entry level camera. I was looking at a Fuji film FinePix S1800 12MP Digital Camera with 28mm Lens or Fuji film FinePix S9600. Again I don’t know if they are any good but they have the right look of a pro camera. Can anyone please advise me on the differences I should be looking out for in a good camera and what I should be paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

JustinOval wrote: »
    I chose the K-X.

Standard AA batteries (Sanyo Eneloops really last for ages, and don't lose charge when sitting idle), built-in 3 pic HDR shooting, handles low light really well, relatively fast continuous shooting...

It just seemed like a really good buy @ €419.
    I have the K-X too, like it a lot.
    I've previously posted (in this thread before, check if you want the full text)
    +batteries
    +low light
    +size (some say it's a -)
    +display/UI is very nice to use

-prime lenses more expensive than other brands
    -more people will have Canon/Nikon so if you have a few friends with a brand and you buy same you'll have more lenses to borrow, play with.
    -most bricks n motar stores don't have much Pentax gear so harder to try it out before you buy (not a big -)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Hi All,
    Currently hava point and click camera, and now looking to upgrade to something with a bit more zoom (need photos and videos of the little one on stage ;-)
    I think the current range of SLR cameras are going to be a bit too expensive, by the time I add a zoom lens, plus swapping lenses seems like a bit of hassle.
    Budget ~E400.
    I've been looking around and the best I can come up with are:
    Fuji HS10 http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_hs10_review
    Nikon P1000 http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_p100_review/

Are there any opinions on which is the better, or if there's a ?SuperZoom? camera that I'm missing on looking at?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

tagoona wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Currently hava point and click camera, and now looking to upgrade to something with a bit more zoom (need photos and videos of the little one on stage ;-)
    I think the current range of SLR cameras are going to be a bit too expensive, by the time I add a zoom lens, plus swapping lenses seems like a bit of hassle.
    Budget ~E400.

Are there any opinions on which is the better, or if there's a ?SuperZoom? camera that I'm missing on looking at?
    Thanks in advance

I know most replies here will say buy a dSLR but if you want a superzoom-
    I used to own the Panasonic FZ28 and loved it. The newer model is the FZ100, have a look at it.
    Also look at DP Review compact superzoom grouptest in which the Nikon P100 won, conclusion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

tagoona wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Budget ~E400.

Thanks in advance

Please never forget, big or "super" zoom means a compromise, so you got a big zoom, but something else be week. If you want a 6x4 prints only, forget my remark. An another interesting advice: check the focusing time. I suppose you want to take a picture when you see, and not 5 sec later :)
    (you can find some info about HERE )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I've been doing a bit of a rummage lately and have found loads of old cameras, some kind of box camera, a folding camera, a kodak disk and a kodak brownie.
    Seems my mam had a thing for cameras.:pac:

I know it's possible to still get film for these on ebay and some camera shops but will places still develop them?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, never really used film much before and now I've found all these I can't wait to get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

storm2811 wrote: »
    I've been doing a bit of a rummage lately and have found loads of old cameras, some kind of box camera, a folding camera, a kodak disk and a kodak brownie.
    Seems my mam had a thing for cameras.:pac:

I know it's possible to still get film for these on ebay and some camera shops but will places still develop them?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, never really used film much before and now I've found all these I can't wait to get started.

Getting Film

35mm - pretty much anywhere
    110/126 - Discontinued, some on eBay, will be at least 10 years expired
    Disk - Discontinued, some on eBay, will be at least 15 years expired
    620 -Kodak specific format, basically the same as 120, but with thinner spools. You can re-roll 120 film onto your own spools. You need two spools (take off and pick up)
    120 - pretty much any camera shop.

I have used Mailshots for film purchase in the past. They're good value and use regular Royal Mail postage from the UK, so postage is not expensive. Most of my film at the moment is coming from Macodirect

Development

Anything that takes 35mm is OK - plenty of places to get this developed.

126 and 110 format will take a "pro-lab", and you're better off going to a camera shop (Gunns, Camera Exchange and so on). Even then you might not get anywhere.

120 format, go to a pro-lab or a camera shop. Comments recently here are that's it's expensive.

Disk - No idea, apart from Dwaynes

DIY!

35mm/120/126 can be processed at home for B/W, Colour and slide. You need to practice a bit, and have some equipment. A couple of guys here (including myself) do their own development. It's good fun.

There are loads of small groups of people all over the internet using film. Do a few googles. My current favourite Flickr group are these guys formycameraonlythecheapestfilm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement