Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

aidanic wrote: »
    Getting Film 35mm - pretty much anywhere].

This is a great answer, I wonder if it could be stickied as a permanent record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

aidanic wrote: »
    Getting Film

35mm - pretty much anywhere
    110/126 - Discontinued, some on eBay, will be at least 10 years expired
    Disk - Discontinued, some on eBay, will be at least 15 years expired
    620 -Kodak specific format, basically the same as 120, but with thinner spools. You can re-roll 120 film onto your own spools. You need two spools (take off and pick up)
    120 - pretty much any camera shop.

I have used Mailshots for film purchase in the past. They're good value and use regular Royal Mail postage from the UK, so postage is not expensive. Most of my film at the moment is coming from Macodirect

Development

Anything that takes 35mm is OK - plenty of places to get this developed.

126 and 110 format will take a "pro-lab", and you're better off going to a camera shop (Gunns, Camera Exchange and so on). Even then you might not get anywhere.

120 format, go to a pro-lab or a camera shop. Comments recently here are that's it's expensive.

Disk - No idea, apart from Dwaynes

DIY!

35mm/120/126 can be processed at home for B/W, Colour and slide. You need to practice a bit, and have some equipment. A couple of guys here (including myself) do their own development. It's good fun.

There are loads of small groups of people all over the internet using film. Do a few googles. My current favourite Flickr group are these guys formycameraonlythecheapestfilm.

Thanks a million,,everything I needed to know in one post!:)

Just one more thing, if the film is expired, what difference will it make to the quality?
    Oh and is it hard to develop it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

storm2811 wrote: »
    Thanks a million,,everything I needed to know in one post!:)

Just one more thing, if the film is expired, what difference will it make to the quality?

It really depends on how the film was stored. If it was frozen from purchase, it'll be like new. Fridge, still good. Back of the living room, not quite so good.

The emulsion/chemicals change over time, and so there will be some colour fade/shift. For high speed film, >400 ASA, the speed will drop off, 1 stop per decade, or even more. I have 8 year old 1600 Fuji (colour neg), and it's next run out will be at 800.

You can be lucky and unlucky with expired film. I've had both good and bad experiences with expired Kodachrome in the past 6 months, and two great rolls of Fuji Provia 100f, which were 10 years old, and not looked after too well.

Again, google for "expired film" will bring up loads of experiences.
    Have a look around You Tube. Plenty of examples. Start with Black and White.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Hi

I'm a total newbie to this and wanted to invest a little bitta money into a camera. I'v had my fair share of digital cameras and want to upgrade and perhaps get a DSLR but I don't fancy breaking the bank either!

So could someone please recommend me a DSLR for a newbie that isn't going to break the bank

thank u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Canon 550d, sorted 700 bucks with an 18-55 lens.

• Advertisement

700 buck is a little outta my range.

Basically I don't need anything too fancy to use, something simple enough that take really good pics and thats under 500euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Sorry I meant to say the 1000d it's the starter dslr from canon, the nikon equivalent would be similar think it's the nikon 3000 (could be wrong) Think its about 450ish. It'll only take good photos if you point it in the right direction though!

theres a 500d on adverts going for around 500euro, what u guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Hey, im looking at a few cameras for a birthday present for the g.f and am a little out of my depth!

Does anyone have any experience/advice on these three im looking at?

Nikon Coolpix L110
    fuji finepix s2500hd
    fuji finepix s5700

My price range is 150-200 and these fall within that! Any advice or suggestions would be a great help!!

I would have to buy one in the next week, cutting it close I know!!:rolleyes:

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

storm2811 wrote: »

Two things tend to go, the colour layer and sensitivity. The chemistry is not stable and it will react with its components. Developing the film simply speeds up this reaction to hyper speed, fixing the film slows this reaction down to almost negligible proportions ~ but film and print chemistry never actually stop reacting.

Legally you cannot now develop your own film or prints, waste disposal prohibits drain disposal of the chemicals. We used save all the chemicals and mix them together to neutralise them and flush them away with gallons of water [no longer allowed and the council monitor the water].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Dylanmc111 wrote: »

That sounds reasonable, if it comes with a kit lens,

Where is the Advert?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I got a brand new one with18-55 IS lens in Dublin airport last week for just under €535, also came with the 1/2 day training course voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I got a brand new one with18-55 IS lens in Dublin airport last week for just under €535, also came with the 1/2 day training course voucher.

How does that work, is it like duty free, or do you get the same deals flying to cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Wopp wrote: »
    Hey, im looking at a few cameras for a birthday present for the g.f and am a little out of my depth!

Does anyone have any experience/advice on these three im looking at?

Nikon Coolpix L110
    fuji finepix s2500hd
    fuji finepix s5700

My price range is 150-200 and these fall within that! Any advice or suggestions would be a great help!!

I would have to buy one in the next week, cutting it close I know!!:rolleyes:

cheers

I have the S5700 and its a fantastic camera. Not too big either that it will most likely fit in a handbag. Its ahs manual settings on it also so you have a bit more control. Would def recommend it to people.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    How does that work, is it like duty free, or do you get the same deals flying to cork?
    I was flying to London so I presume you could avail of this when just flying to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I was flying to London so I presume you could avail of this when just flying to Cork.

Cork was just an example. Many thanks.

which shop did u buy it in?

thank u

which shop did u buy it in?

thank u

Dixons travel T2 - small correction on the price it was €537.31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 max power 18

I am in the process of buying a new camera. always have used little digital type. want to move up to something abit better so am thinking of a bridge type(pentax 90). would love to hear opinions on same.
    Reason I wouldnt buy an slr type is I am not technical minded, all I really want is to point and click and get great photos.
    Any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

max power 18, all consumer SLRs have green program, when the camera does everything, apart from selecting picture mode and zooming your lens. If you are really going to get into photography, get the cheapest SLR body you can get (Canon 1000D) or older body, 50/1.8 lens and begin. And you can always get kit lens from somebody who stepped up a bit.
    On the other hand, there are compact-ish sized cameras like Canon G12 that have all the functions as SLRs, but without possibility of changing lenses.
    Going for compact or bridge camera, you compromises sensor size and therefore image quality. So the question is if you are willing to get a camera that is a bit bigger and will allow you to learn and grow (=control more of the camera settings before you press the trigger).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wait a short while for the Olympus XZ-1 to be released and then see if you can source one from a shop in Spain where the price is apparently a lot less than the UK or probably Ireland.

Fantastic HQ lens with a sensor larger than most compact digitals have. You wont get SLR quality results in low light but they will be far better than the run of the mill digicams can deliver.

You could also look at the Panasonic LX5 and Canon S95 which are those companies equivalent offerings in the high-end compact market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mickey Rosa

Hey looking for a bit of advice,
    Want to buy my first digital SLR the main reason for buying it is that I want to get in to sports photography. I currently write some amateur sports journalism for student publications.
    I'm willing to spent around the €1000 mark, is this enough?

Slightly related is, what is the process of sending photos to national news papers etc for consideration?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

so what to buy for under 500E for someone starting out? any suggestions please

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hey looking for a bit of advice,
    Want to buy my first digital SLR the main reason for buying it is that I want to get in to sports photography. I currently write some amateur sports journalism for student publications.
    I'm willing to spent around the €1000 mark, is this enough?

Slightly related is, what is the process of sending photos to national news papers etc for consideration?

Thanks in advance.

For €1000ish you could get a decent telephoto and a cheapish (maybe second hand) body. The lens is far more important than the camera. Obviously a quick camera will help with autofocus but the lens comes first. In the Canon camp the 70-200 f4L would be a good lens to consider with something like a 450D.

Obaraten wrote: »
    What digital camera would you recommend for casual use like holidays,the odd nature shot,family events etc?
    I should i rather something compact in size,not too bulky and reliable etc

I think there's been some discussion of compacts a few pages back in this thread. There are so many models today that it's hard to recommend one.
    It's best to go into a shop, brave the horrible sales staff, and play with a few and see what you like. Do the menus seem intuitive? Is the shutter responsive? Then with a few models in mind go and do some internet research. Look at samples and compare the images. A big issue is noise in low light where images look fuzzy.

Then go buy it where you get it cheapest!

Westwood wrote: »
    so what to buy for under 500E for someone starting out? any suggestions please

Starting out how exactly? Do you want a dSLR? A few here have picked up a 500D for €500 duty free in the Airport. There are lots of good entry level cameras on Adverts.ie which would give you enough change for a good lens.
    The 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens to get started with and is as cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

I'm going to buy the Canon eos 550. I see a lot of people are saying the lens is very important. Should I just buy the body and buy another lens myself or should I get the Lens kit version where I get an 18-55mm lens with it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Looking into getting a medium format film camera, friend of mine has a box brownie and a rolleicord, I rather like the sharpness and vibrance from the rolleicord.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion, recommendation, and even knows where they can be purchased, have browsed adverts ebay etc, are there any stores in Dub that specialize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Can anyone recommend a tripod for an absolute beginner with a Canon 500D?

Ideally it will be:
    - Light
    - Reasonably priced (I don't know how much I will use it but I don't foresee it getting very heavy use in the next couple of years)
    - Available to buy in a bricks-and-mortar shop in the Dublin area.

Many thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement