Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

levitronix wrote: »
    Hey guys

About get my first SLR and looking at the two cameras Pentax k-x or the nikon d3000, wondering which one you might think is best and why ?

Hi Levitronix, no use me telling you buy this or buy that, I have a Pentax K-x so I'd be biased.

But I can share my "first" impressions of the K-x, I have it since last Christmas, and I'm self teaching photography as a hobby for the past 2 years or thereabouts (first with a Fujifilm Finepix).

I like my Pentax, and it's been easy to learn the controls. It's brilliant in low light situations, very good for low iso (this pic was taken at 6400 iso). The menu is easy to get a grasp of, there are lots of gadgets I haven't tried yet, like in camera filters etc... so it gives you scope to have a bit of fun.
    I have been able to get cheap lenses off ebay, and the good ones are widely available too :D.
    It takes standard shop batteries, I usually can take around 600 shots with one set of batteries, more if I don't review the photographs too much or use in camera flash, or leave camera on standby.

Cons : I don't know about the build. My shutter button is sticky already, I have to tap it at times to "get it back up" (and have camera ready for next shot !!!!), maybe I'm just unlucky. Also, I focus with my left eye, and find that the controls are a little too much on the left. There is a Liveview button right against the screen that is really annoying. If you brush against it with your nose (like me), it switches camera to liveview, and can be a real pain. Incidentally, that Liveview function is something I never use, and could have well done without.

All in all, I do think it's a great camera for starting with a dslr, you obviously have read of all the good specs if you're considering it, but you really need to try it out in the shop for comfort and handling, see if you like the feel of it. I love the size and weight, but these back controls are something I hadn't thought of, even though I had tried it out. Mine came from the US and I don't think I've a guarantee, make sure you do, in case you find yourself with "sticky" buttons.:(
    Hope that helps you make a choice !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hey guys

About get my first SLR and looking at the two cameras Pentax k-x or the nikon d3000, wondering which one you might think is best and why ?

Truth is that any of they cameras mentioned are really good and fantastically capable for entry level, and there is very little to separate them. Have a read on dpreview and do their side by side comparison - from a hardware / gear perspective I suspect that it will be six of one/half a dozen of the other.

I'm surprised Mountainsandh has had a relatively poor experience with the build quality of the Pentax. They are normally built like tanks - i've four Pentax models (2 film / 2 DSLR) and 2 point and shoots, and no problem whatsoever with the build quality. That said I haven't had the K-x in my hands so can't give an honest opinion on it.

Nikons and Canons are dominant brands - meaning you are more likely to get local support in the bricks and mortar shops, and more likely to get add ons locally. Pentax aren't well supported locally - some high street retailers occasionally carry stocks of them however when they do they are limited. That hasn't bothered me tbh - i've cameras, lenses, and flash units from every corner of the globe and there are lots of excellent Pentax kit available.

To really confuse you, don't discount Sony or Olympus - these also produce excellent dSLR's.

I'd worry about judging a purchase on the basis of the poll above. I'll tell you to buy Pentax cos i'm a fan of Pentax. Nikon fans will most likely say buy nikons. More nikon fans will most likely end up with a buy nikon result. You won't go wrong with either result tbh.

Good luck and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Paulw wrote: »
    Any reason you're ignoring the Canon options? Canon 550D or Canon 1000D ?

Just liked the feel and look of the pentax and nikon better , sony one we looked at looked nice too , and dont worry wont be buying on the strength of the poll was just curious thats all , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Mountainsandh im wondering have you used the video function on the pentax is it usefull or just gimmicy

Is there much of a differnce between 12 mega pix and 10 mega pix, the nikon has 10, will that be something i ll notice starting out

Not really worried about add ons right now and local support as most of my purchases come from the net to save a few euro, but i did check out all the cameras in local shops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

AnCatDubh, I do have to say I find the Pentax very solid, it's that shutter button only I'm concerned about (and the layout of controls at back). As I said, I may just be unlucky with this model.
    Levitronix, I haven't used the video at all. I know it's supposed to be brilliant, but I have to admit I haven't even tried (I know, I'm a disgrace:)). But hubby did I think and was impressed, if that makes up for it :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mountainsandh

Is there much of a differnce between 12 mega pix and 10 mega pix, the nikon has 10, will that be something i ll notice starting out

no you wont notice the difference unless your printing the size of billboards... then you'll notice a extremely small difference, with a magnifying glass, maybe even a microscope :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Hey just wanted some help guys.
    I've been trying to decide on a DSLR.
    Im quite new to all this, but im a very tech friendly person and generally have gadgets worked out within an hour or two...
    So what im thinking is ethier

Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XS

or

PENTAX - K-x

So any impression guys?
    Also any suggestions are appreciated! Budget is around 450-
    (My aunt is going to america and said she'll happily pick me one up)
    Thanks
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

marko93 wrote: »
    Im quite new to all this, but im a very tech friendly person and generally have gadgets worked out within an hour or two...

or

PENTAX - K-x

So any impression guys?
    Thanks
    Mark

Canon rebel would be very good first slr, no experience with the Pentax but would imagine the general concensus would be the canon would be the one to go for out of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I had the s1000 a while ago and found it great , lots of scene modes, panoramic mode and nice sized lcd screen. only complaints would be it was quite bulky so wouldn just slip in your pocket and manual, apereture, shuter, and program mode were a bit hard to understand without help.
    haven said that i was pleased with the fujifilm .between the 1800 and 2500 from a quick surey of reviews there doesn seem to be much difference so id go with which ever is cheapest (if your not bothered bout hd). hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

or

PENTAX - K-x

So any impression guys?
    Thanks
    Mark

Why have you narrowed it down to those 2? Any particular reason? [Can you get hold of lenses for either model easier than others?]

Don't rule out Sony or Nikon entry level. Great cameras within your budget brand new. Think ahead and work out what type of photography you'd like to do, what lenses you'll need etc ..

Pentax aren't easy to get additional lenses for over here without buying online. You say you pick things up quick? Well then you should be thinking well ahead. You'll grow out of a kit lens , no matter the model, very soon. Think zoom, wide angle, primes ...

It doesn't matter what make or model you go for so long as you can easily continue along your path of discovery. Best of luck whatever you choose ;)

• Advertisement

Hey guys

Anything over 10mp is just greed.

If you like the look of the D3000, wait for the D3100 ... not for the extra megapixels [it has loads more, 16+] but it also includes Live view, Full HD video and a bunch of other extras. It's pretty kick ass for an entry level. I'm not sure how much it'll be but not a whole heap more than a current D5000. Save the pennies.

Why have you narrowed it down to those 2? Any particular reason? [Can you get hold of lenses for either model easier than others?]

Don't rule out Sony or Nikon entry level. Great cameras within your budget brand new. Think ahead and work out what type of photography you'd like to do, what lenses you'll need etc ..

Pentax aren't easy to get additional lenses for over here without buying online. You say you pick things up quick? Well then you should be thinking well ahead. You'll grow out of a kit lens , no matter the model, very soon. Think zoom, wide angle, primes ...

It doesn't matter what make or model you go for so long as you can easily continue along your path of discovery. Best of luck whatever you choose ;)
    Have you yourself got any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll chirp in with a vote for the Pentax. The K-x gets good reviews. They are solid cameras, well built and easy to use. They tend to come very well spec'd for the money. Buying additional lenses is a little tricky as most shops don't stock them so you have to look online. I started with the K100D Super myself and have moved onto the K7 now.

I think once you handle one you tend to fall in love with them (well I do anyway) as they are something of the underdog in comparison to Canon and Nikon.

Have you yourself got any suggestions?

For €499 the Sony A390 is not a bad option.

http://www.connscameras.ie/sony-dslra390/p-4905524684315pd.html

The spec list is right up there with more expensive Dslrs. There are a few good reasons to go with Sony:

The body has Image stabilisation, therefore every lens , even the old minolta offerings, are optically stabilised when attached.

You can use All Sony DSLR lenses and A-Mount bayonet lenses from Minolta and Konica Minolta, the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 can be got for less than €100 online, and it's steel construction and mount, unlike the more expensive plastic newer ones. It is a beautiful little lens.

There are tonnes of cheap old minolta lenses out there, you just have to do a little research to see which ones are worth going for. It's fun hunting down those old gems :)

For €499 the Sony A390 is not a bad option.

http://www.connscameras.ie/sony-dslra390/p-4905524684315pd.html

The spec list is right up there with more expensive Dslrs. There are a few good reasons to go with Sony:

The body has Image stabilisation, therefore every lens , even the old minolta offerings, are optically stabilised when attached.

You can use All Sony DSLR lenses and A-Mount bayonet lenses from Minolta and Konica Minolta, the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 can be got for less than €100 online, and it's steel construction and mount, unlike the more expensive plastic newer ones. It is a beautiful little lens.

There are tonnes of cheap old minolta lenses out there, you just have to do a little research to see which ones are worth going for. It's fun hunting down those old gems :)
    Will definatley have to look into these.. My dad mentioned them aswell and said they're worth a look. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I did a lot of investigating before buying my first dslr ( I went with the K-X).
    Would I buy it again if i had my time back; maybe. The only reason why I'm saying maybe is (as others said) lenses are slightly harder to get and less people have Pentaxes.
    If you have a few friends with X brand and they have a few lenses they it'll give you a lot more lenses to use/try out. Prime lenses seem to cost more for Pentax cameras as well and you have to hunt them down.
    Besides that I like the camera a lot. The menu on it is very good and easy to use, very user friendly. It takes 4 batteries (which I thought odd at first) but they last for AGES, which is a big plus.

I found the Canon to feel a bit cheap in my hands and didn't like the grip on the Sony. For me there was very little between the D3000 and the K-X. I got mine from a friend living in the US so saved a bit.

Have a look here. I picked the 4 cameras for side by side comparision.
    DPreview.com do a good side by side comparison where you can select the cameras.

The K-X gets great reviews, including 5/5 from Digital Camera Essentials.
    Their conclusion:
    The Pentax K-x is a small, light and easy-to-use DSLR camera that punches well above its mid-range weight. The only major negative that we can think of is its diminutive size, which for many people will actually be a positive. We're certainly convinced - the Pentax K-x is our new favourite "affordable" DSLR and fully deserving of our rarely-awarded Essential / 5 Star rating.

They also rate the D3000 very highly and (as someone else said) the D3100 looks very good. Lastly (what should be the first tip) is go into a (friendly) store and feel them in your hands and take some shots with them.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

If I were to buy one of these cameras (second hand) what would you suggest? I'm buying it for my girlfriend so I know very very little about cameras. Is one way above the other? I've looked up the facts and figures but really I haven't a clue. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If I were to buy one of these cameras (second hand) what would you suggest? I'm buying it for my girlfriend so I know very very little about cameras. Is one way above the other? I've looked up the facts and figures but really I haven't a clue. Thanks in advance!

I'd get the D50... in fact, I'd get this D50 -would be a cracking present!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

defo d50, i love mine

Ha, thanks. I know the specific two camera's I've a choice between and I can get em a bit cheaper than yours. Sorry. But ignoring the fact that you're selling a D50... Is it genuinely the way to go? The fz28 has over 10 megapixels compared to 6.1... But aside from that I really don't know what I'm on about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ha, thanks. I know the specific two camera's I've a choice between and I can get em a bit cheaper than yours. Sorry. But ignoring the fact that you're selling a D50... Is it genuinely the way to go? The fz28 has over 10 megapixels compared to 6.1... But aside from that I really don't know what I'm on about

Megapixels don't mean a whole lot. The FZ-28 is a bridge camera whereas the D50 is a full on DSLR. It will give you absolutely superior quality images and is much more felxible than the Panasonic. While the FZ-28 is an attractive camera overall the D50 will produce better images and is much more 'upgradeable' as you advance in ability.

Six megapixels can produce astoundingly detailed images. The photo below was taken on a Pentax K100D Super which has a 6.1 megapixel sensor.

55CB5B796F504FD9ACD8A135701173B9-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

No problem mate, I was just being a bit cheeky! Seriously though, Kintarō Hattori has hit the nail on the head -Megapixels don't matter a damn really, get the DSLR and your OH can grow with it far easier than getting a bridge camera

I think that settles it! Thanks a million lads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

so ive been deciding which camera to buy recently, i had decided on the lumix lx5, but got an extra bit of money so i think im going to go the extra bit and get the gf1 instead with both lenses.

trouble is, i just found it in pink!! :D

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=10306&setcurrency=eur

:o im pretty sure i wont be selling it on anytime soon. so will i go for it or what??? i like it in white too. ( can u tell im so sick of my big black bridge camera??)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

are you considering buying from simply electronics? be careful, there's tons and tons of bad reviews out there about them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

thanks for the heads up, ill think twice about it for sure, i tried to ring them with no reply so not a great start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

they're based in hong kong btw. personally i wouldn't touch with them with a bargepole. i had seen the camera i wanted on their site ages ago and was pointed to a few threads on various forums [fori?] that put me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

i bought an item from the said company. no ce numbers meaning a grey import renderad useless for warranties and it only took 14 weeks to arrive never ever ever again would i buy from them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Both are good but different cameras. It's like asking should I buy a Nissan Micra or a Humvee? Both will be good in different situations. If you want to drive to the top of mountains over rough tracks then the Micra is probably the wrong choice. The Humvee will take you to the shops and to work etc but msy not be as well suited for that as the Micra.

So .... How will she be using this camera and what does she want to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A lot of people here will suggest a DSLR over anything else.
    The obvious questions should be:
    how come you've narrowed it down to those two?
    what will she use it for
    is she willilng to spend more as she goes along for lenses
    The FZ28 is a good all rounder bridge camera. Not great a low light but has big zoom, almost macro etc. If she wants just general shooting I'd recommend that (I used to own one).
    If she wants to 'get into' photography, then the D50...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement