Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yeah there was a golden age where Albert from Kea was king and everyone here got cheap glass. I think member form this forum even got a discount.

Of those two I'd go for the Sigma zoom which offers more versatility for what you need.
    But it's offering similar focal length to the kit lens and similar apertures.

Is using a tripod out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Essien wrote: »
    That's €355 before you add any delivery or other related charges, I like the sound of it but its out of my price range.

How about either of these? What could I expect from them?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2983/art/canon/ef-28mm-f-2-8-lens.html

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4129677/art/sigma/18-50mm-f2-8-4-5-dc-os-hs.html (linked in earlier post)

Both lenses appear to offer reasonable performance for the price - so I'd imagine it would simply be a matter of going with what you think suits best...

The 28mm Canon is approx. 45mm in 35mm film equivalence. It is more compact and portable in terms of size and weight compared to the zoom - but, as mentioned, is not as versatile...

The Canon can be got cheaper for under €200 delivered at:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=618

A tripod might be an idea, if you haven't tried it - but would not be as portable as a lens, if portability is an issue... Experimenting with higher ISO, and post processing of noise in RAW files, is always a worthwhile endeavour...

More Canon lenses from same vendor:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/subcat.php?cid=11&sid=86

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

woody_2000 wrote: »
    Both lenses appear to offer reasonable performance for the price - so I'd imagine it would simply be a matter of going with what you think suits best...

The 28mm Canon is approx. 45mm in 35mm film equivalence. It is more compact and portable in terms of size and weight compared to the zoom - but, as mentioned, is not as versatile...

The Canon can be got cheaper for under €200 delivered at:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=618

A tripod might be an idea, if you haven't tried it - but would not be as portable as a lens, if portability is an issue... Experimenting with higher ISO, and post processing of noise in RAW files, is always a worthwhile endeavour...

More Canon lenses from same vendor:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/subcat.php?cid=11&sid=86

There has been mixed responses to simply electronics. The OP might want to search the forum for previous postings before making up their mind.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    There has been mixed responses to simply electronics. The OP might want to search the forum for previous postings before making up their mind.

The same would go for Pixmania, which were already mentioned... I just provided the links as a pricing reference, considering the posters budget constraints, as their prices are generally very competitive... I thought Simply Electronics would be a good pricing reference to work from - but, yes, of course a vendor should always be considered carefully before purchasing... I do not, of course, recommend or endorse purchasing from Simply Electronics -- I was just merely offering the links as a pricing and product reference...

There was a price difference of over €70 between vendors for the prime lens mentioned (incl. shipping), for the posters awareness, hence my posting the links (I'm all for competition, btw)...

Pixmania were competitive for the zoom lens mentioned, so I didn't see the need to provide a link to the same lens on the vendor in question's website...

I will try to watch this in any future postings. Regards.

For reference, the main issues with Simply Electronics appear to be shipping times (maybe two weeks to receive order) - and maybe the possibility of getting a "grey" import... There should, however, be no question of additional VAT or import duties being imposed - unlike some other websites and eBay vendors which I have seen mentioned, at one stage or another... I would alway try to have any specific potential issues addressed with a vendor prior to ordering - and would not order from them if there was any doubt regarding their responses... I would always judge a remote vendor by the quality of their customer and sales support, and would simply not buy from them if there was anything wrong in this regard... I have, in the past (pre-internet), worked for a mail order firm in the US - and understand the clear necessity for proper follow through when it comes to mail order...

Again, for reference, I have had an unacceptable experience with Pixmania in the past (wrong order shipped, and poor customer support) - and would be wary of ordering from them in the future, as a direct result of this experience... That was the one, and only, time I have ordered from them... I have ordered once from Simply Electronics, and had no problem except for the latency of their shipping the product... These appear to be recurring issues regarding these respective vendors...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Thanks for the replies woody_2000, 5uspect and AnCatDubh.

I think the best thing to do is just educate myself a bit better on the specs of all the different lenses as its something I really need to know and will have to learn at some point anyway, its just all very confusing as a noob.

Re the tripod, I have one, I just don't want to have to depend on it all the time, that's all.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies woody_2000, 5uspect and AnCatDubh.

I think the best thing to do is just educate myself a bit better on the specs of all the different lenses as its something I really need to know and will have to learn at some point anyway, its just all very confusing as a noob.

Re the tripod, I have one, I just don't want to have to depend on it all the time, that's all.

Thanks again.

The Devil is in the detail...

Learning is a gradual and ongoing process, you can't expect to know and understand it all straight away...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

looking for a 500d if anyone knows where I'd get one for under 500euro

thank u

The Airport most likely. Someone a few pages back picked one up in Dixons Travel.

can u just walk into the airport and buy one there? do u not have to be travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    can u just walk into the airport and buy one there? do u not have to be travelling?

You need a boarding pass. They were €535ish last time I checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

looking for a 500d if anyone knows where I'd get one for under 500euro

thank u

I suppose on eBay have good deal from UK: 500d+ 18-55 iS kit 466.38eur+23.91eur postage to Ireland is under 500eur! LINK

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Hi my dad is looking at getting a new lens for his Canon 450d he was looking at a used Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM its about 600 euro though!

It seems to be an excellent lens but im sure something like the Sigma 70-300mm would be fine?

What do you think? Is the canon lens worth the extra money / would someone who isnt that into photography appreciate the difference?

He's just looking for something more versatile than the stock 18-55 lens, he does some sport photography and general nature / holiday stuff

Thanks

The 70-200 f/2.8L IS is an awesome* lens the Sigma is an okay lens.

The main problem with the Sigma, apart from being less sharp, is that the maximum aperture is only f/4-5.6 which means that compared to the 70-200 which is f2/8 at all focal lengths, you get a lot less light into the lens.

f/4 is one stop slower than f/2.8 and f/5.6 is one stop slower than f/4.
    So if you can take photos in low light with the Canon that the Sigma wouldn't allow since you would have to increase the exposure and get annoying motion blur.

The Canon lens also has image stabilisation which lets you use longer shutter speeds at long focal lengths to get sharp pictures that would otherwise have motion blur due to camera shake. However IS isn't required for sports photography where you typically have fast shutter speeds.

The wider aperture on the canon will also give narrow depth of field, a plus with sports photography.

If the 70-200 is in good condition, it's built like a tank so it should be, €600 isn't a bad price considering what they cost new. You could always sell it later too, it's a highly desirable lens.

*I think the word awesome is overused and I reserve it's use.

5uspect wrote: »

The main problem with the Sigma, apart from being less sharp, is that the maximum aperture is only f/4-5.6 which means that compared to the 70-200 which is f2/8 at all focal lengths, you get a lot less light into the lens.

So if you can take photos in low light with the Canon that the Sigma wouldn't allow since you would have to increase the exposure and get annoying motion blur.

The Canon lens also has image stabilisation which lets you use longer shutter speeds at long focal lengths to get sharp pictures that would otherwise have motion blur due to camera shake. However IS isn't required for sports photography where you typically have fast shutter speeds.

The wider aperture on the canon will also give narrow depth of field, a plus with sports photography.

If the 70-200 is in good condition, it's built like a tank so it should be, €600 isn't a bad price considering what they cost new. You could always sell it later too, it's a highly desirable lens.

... and don't forget about a very important, huge different between this two: Canon have L mark, which means it's a professional quality in materials as well as picture. In second row also need to remark the IS letters, that means it's have Image Stabilization. Also lot of advantage on Canon side!

On the other hand the Sigma is much lighter than the nearly 1.5kg 70-200.

Of course, plastic case vs. full metal body /w dust and weather proof, high dia. 2.8 glass system make big difference. (I'd be happy to replace my Sigma to this big brother). The Sigma isn't so sharp as I would like, but very handy the macro function.

For hobby enough a Sigma: http://pix.ie/belac/856175

Should I

A) Buy the 500d

B) Buy the 550d

or

C) wait for the 600d to come out?

This will be my first dslr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Wait for the 600D to come out.. THEN buy one of the other two when the price drops drastically because the 600D has come out?
    Should I

A) Buy the 500d

B) Buy the 550d

or

C) wait for the 600d to come out?

This will be my first dslr

Heebie wrote: »
    Wait for the 600D to come out.. THEN buy one of the other two when the price drops drastically because the 600D has come out?

ya reckon they'll drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ya reckon they'll drop?

The 500d will definitely as the 550d is replacing it when the 600d is released

• Advertisement

The 600D seems to offer a lot of what the 60D offers on top of the 550Ds feature set. Canon are really filling in their line up making it difficult to chose.

I can't see the 500D dropping too much, they'll surely be in short supply and high demand. You may have to haggle..

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

5uspect wrote: »

The lens he is looking at is actually the F4 version... And the seller is looking for around €450.. Does this seem like a good buy? I just dont want him to get roasted when the Sigma might suit his needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

Hi All,

I am really interested in photography.. I just wanted to know if anyone knew what would be the best camera to start off with? Does anyone know of second hand camera shops around Dublin City? What would I be expecting to pay on a decent camera?

Monkey Socks, it could range massively. I'd recommend taking a look at Adverts, getting a budget in your head and then working around that.

Try to cover a decent focal length in your purchase (in other words, get a camera with either two lenses covering about 18-200 or such, or one lens that does the same).

Make sure you get a memory card, charger/battery/etc. (this is all assuming you get it second hand).

If you're just starting out, don't bother with a flashgun, or wireless triggers, or shutter releases or softboxes, etc. until you actually decide you want them or need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi All,

I am really interested in photography.. I just wanted to know if anyone knew what would be the best camera to start off with? Does anyone know of second hand camera shops around Dublin City? What would I be expecting to pay on a decent camera?

If its second you are after I advise you to look on www.adverts.ie in the photography for sale section. Have you already used/owned a camera of any sort. The choice is vast so maybe have a look also in www.berminghamcameras.ie in Dublin near O'Connell Bridge where you can actually see and hold a camera to decide which you like best. They have a substantial secondhand stock usually.
    My advice to start you off would be something like a Canon G9 or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭P.A.C

Ok, so i know you guys are probably fed up being asked this.
    I need an affordable, small, compact camera.
    I want it for taking action (ie kids football matches and stage shows)
    Needs to be good taking long distance, especially long distance indoors, for when im at the back of theatre.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The ability to take long distance shots in low light usually means an expensive lens, which probably rules out affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Classact

Hi All,

I've been having a lot of problems with my digital camera that I own and which I use for many family occasions and friends occasions

I would like to invest in a new camera for mostly family occasions so nothing too big, just a camera that offers excellent quality pictures and good battery life etc

What would you recommend or what camera's have been most reliable for you

I would really appreciate some advise on this, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 agh!!

Hi!!

Right, I have a budget of about €800

I need a camera that is EXCELLENT for concerts, gigs, weddings etc (including brilliant video quality)

it would be handy if it was a bit compact as well!!

All suggestions welcome!! :)
    :pac: :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

focus on lens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement