Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

A Canon 20D (Approx €250), a 50mm 1.8 (Approx €120), a Metz 48 AF-1 Flashgun (Approx €200) and an 18-55 3.5/5.6 kit lens (Approx €80) and a 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (Approx €150); totalling to an approximate €800.

Good beginner set up there, all in your budget, will allow you to cover all focal lengths you need, you'll have a flashgun so you can take photos indoors despite having crap apertures on two of your lenses, and when flash is not allowed you have the 50mm to fall back on.

Everyone's a weiner baby, that's for sure.

EDIT: Actually, you'll have no video with that set up. I'd be shocked if someone camn get you great video quality aswell as the ability to shoot well in low light for €800.

Keep in mind, you're not going to cover a wedding with €800 worth of gear. You're not going to turn pro on €800 worth of gear. I mean, you can turn pro on €50 worth of gear, provided you've got the years of experience required to use such gear to it's absolute best, but if you think you're gonna buy a camera and instantly start making the Random Photo Thread look like a bunch of messers, then you'd probably be best to spend abit of your budget on books and be prepared to spend plenty of time on here reading up on everything.

I've had a DSLR in my hands since June 7th 2009, and I still haven't a clue what I'm doing for the most part. It's not as easy as you'd hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

agh!! wrote: »
    Hi!!

Right, I have a budget of about €800

I need a camera that is EXCELLENT for concerts, gigs, weddings etc (including brilliant video quality)

it would be handy if it was a bit compact as well!!

All suggestions welcome!! :)
    :pac: :confused:

You left out a zero on the end of that price, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hi!!

Right, I have a budget of about €800

I need a camera that is EXCELLENT for concerts, gigs, weddings etc (including brilliant video quality)

it would be handy if it was a bit compact as well!!

All suggestions welcome!! :)
    :pac: :confused:

I would have said the Panasonic GH2, but it's more like €910 from Amazon. Compact and with the best video quality available from an SLR. A bit cheaper from here but I have no idea about the company: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/digitalcameras/digitalcameras/Panasonic/DMC-GH2EB-K.html

If you want something less ambitious and smaller than an SLR then have a look at the Olympus xz-1.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Classact wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've been having a lot of problems with my digital camera that I own and which I use for many family occasions and friends occasions

I would like to invest in a new camera for mostly family occasions so nothing too big, just a camera that offers excellent quality pictures and good battery life etc

What would you recommend or what camera's have been most reliable for you

I would really appreciate some advise on this, Thanks

Pretty much every camera today is decent enough for family snaps. All claim to have good battery life and excellent picture quality (compared to some imaginary standard of sorts)

The fact is small cameras in general have poor image quality because of the physical size of their imaging sensors. Less light per unit area.

The Olympus PEN models are worth considering perhaps, or the Lumix GF1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

focus on lens

Pun?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Pun?

na genuine.

camera bodies all do a good job, the real failings for low light photography lies in the lens quality and aperture values.

Plus digital bodies get updated so often now that they don't hold their value. Lenses are updated once in a blue moon and good glass can hold its value a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

na genuine.

camera bodies all do a good job, the real failings for low light photography lies in the lens quality and aperture values.

No, I get that. I just thought you used a deliberate play on words.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 agh!!

[QUOTE=Deleted User;70793439Keep in mind, you're not going to cover a wedding with €800 worth of gear. You're not going to turn pro on €800 worth of gear. .[/QUOTE]

Im not trying to become Pro...I just want a good camera on a low budget thats a good all-rounder...but, with a bit extra goodness.

But thanks anyway guys!

I guess you have to frame your questions to match what the locals here consider "excellent". €800 would be a good price for an excellent lens, never mind the camera.
    Also nobody here comes on and asks for a **** camera, so it's safe to assume you're looking for a good one.

You could also give us a lot more information on what exactly you want. You say "a bit compact" but you you mean a compact enough to fit in your pocket, or compact enough to carry around for a day without back ache and a gear bag that looks like this:
    lowepro_vertex_300_2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Im looking to purchase a Canon 50mm 1.8, other than eBay and Amazon, what other sites are there to buy from? Thanks

Ian (Kerso) Kerr is a great ebay seller that does most of his trade outside of ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-CANON-50MM-F-1-8-MK-II-LENS-SCOTLAND-/390289961619?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item5adf183293

Email him for a price. Usually deals through bank transfer and can offer a discount over the ebay price. I've spent a lot of money with him and I can't recommend him enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

roguey wrote: »
    Im looking to purchase a Canon 50mm 1.8, other than eBay and Amazon, what other sites are there to buy from? Thanks
    You could do worse than try these guys...

http://www.firstcameras.net/product_info.php?products_id=148959

Not sure how much shipping is, only that's it's free for orders €100...

Caveat: I haven't used them yet, but tomorrow I will be. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 markconor

Im not trying to become Pro...I just want a good camera on a low budget thats a good all-rounder...but, with a bit extra goodness.

But thanks anyway guys!

What about a nikon D300 - http://bythom.com/nikond300review.htm

I also have one for sale at that price...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Dades wrote: »
    You could do worse than try these guys...

http://www.firstcameras.net/product_info.php?products_id=148959

Not sure how much shipping is, only that's it's free for orders €100...

Caveat: I haven't used them yet, but tomorrow I will be. :)

Are this crowd trustworthy, has anyone used them? Prices seem extremelly good to me, which sets off alarm bells...
    Did a quick google and got this. Russian

Pentax K-X with kit lens for €270...hmmmm. Too good to be true me thinks.

and just saw this boards.ie thread about them.

It's annoying, you see a lens that looks like a good deal, then too good a deal....
    Cheers,
    pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before....but i am going to ask again!! Can anyone recommend a camera for Sports Photography - now i am talking about local GAA and Soccer club. So i would have good access on the sideline and not worry about floodlights as i would take these during the day. I would also like to use this camera for scenic photography - as in the seaside, Galway Hookers sailing etc. My main interest would be sports photography - purely as a hobby. I know this may be a very general question - i would be looking at spending anything between 600 and 800 euro. I know a bit about photography, but hope to do a course once i get my new camera. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dinneenp wrote: »
    Are this crowd trustworthy, has anyone used them? Prices seem extremelly good to me, which sets off alarm bells...
    Did a quick google and got this. Russian

Pentax K-X with kit lens for €270...hmmmm. Too good to be true me thinks.

and just saw this boards.ie thread about them.
    Jeez, I feel bad for putting this up now. :o Sorry!

Normally I can sniff out a dodgy site. A mate of mine sent me the link to the lens I was looking for - I'd better let him know before he goes ahead too...

Back to RGB-Photo then. (Can definitely recommend these guys if you see something at a good price...)

conamara wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times before....but i am going to ask again!! Can anyone recommend a camera for Sports Photography - now i am talking about local GAA and Soccer club. So i would have good access on the sideline and not worry about floodlights as i would take these during the day. I would also like to use this camera for scenic photography - as in the seaside, Galway Hookers sailing etc. My main interest would be sports photography - purely as a hobby. I know this may be a very general question - i would be looking at spending anything between 600 and 800 euro. I know a bit about photography, but hope to do a course once i get my new camera. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm sure someone can answer you in more details but-
    a dslr with quick continuous shooting (6 frames per second or so) and a 70-200mm f2.8 lens (expensive, €700+) or a 300/400mm lens quick lens.
    Quick lens= high aperture/lower f number (e.g. f2.8).

A quick lens will help you get the sort of shots you see in the the paper- players in focus with the blurred background.

conamara wrote: »

An ideal combination would be the Canon 7D and the 70-200 f2.8 non IS. (You won't need IS for Sports). The 7D can shoot at 8 fps and has an excellent autofocus system for tracking moving targets. It also has good noise handling. The wide aperture of the 70-200 as pointed out above will give you nice depth of field for isolating subjects and allow fast shutter speeds for freezing the action. This is important in dull Ireland.

However this will easily exceed your budget. :(
    I would suggest looking at a secondhand 40D and cheaper lens like the 70-300 f/4-5.6 or 55-250. You can always upgrade the lens in if you need more speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Amazing that firstcams.net are at the very top of google when looking for a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 toreadorx2001

CabanSail wrote: »
    This forum gets many posts seeking advice on purchasing a new camera and accessories. These posts are often along much the same lines and so the advice given out also tends to be similar.

There is already a lot of advice in the FAQ Thread where the first link is "What Camera should I buy?" This should be you first point of reference before posting. If you still have questions then see if an answer already posted here applies to you.

A few points to remember

The regulars here are not likely to be using Point & Shoot Cameras very often and as such will not be overly familiar with those type of cameras. They will still try to give advice but often that will be from reading reviews online and then passing on that information.

Many Photographers will be using a single system or brand. They will tend to be able to advise on that system but not as well on the others. Most will advise in which system they have familiarity.

System preference can become Tribal and advice can be sometime not be impartial. It can be like asking someone wearing a Team Jersey which team is best. The reply can be predictable. This is not always the case with Cameras but is a factor to keep in mind.

Replies

Please quote the question which you are answering. If the question is long consider editing it down to make it more concise.

This is a new way to manage these questions. If you have suggestions on how this may operate better please PM one of the Mods.
    hope some may be able to help me, i am looking for a battery for a Olympus Quick Flash AFL camera battery cr-2/3A 3 volt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Hey,

I'm wondering could anyone give me some advice on a new lens for my Nikon D40, i have the Standard 18-55mm Lens which works well however alot of my photo are taking of Showjumping and the distance the lens picks up just isent enough so i'm looking for an upgrade and something that is abit future prove incase i update my d40 to another nikon. I'm also interested in Wide-Angle lens i've been reading abit about them and hopefully planning a trip to New York in the coming months and sounds like it would suit perfect, I'm a total novice but i'm eager to learn.

Thanks

Well if you're going to NYC why not pick up the lens there?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Good idea any suggests however in which to choose?
    5uspect wrote: »
    Well if you're going to NYC why not pick up the lens there?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Good idea any suggests however in which to choose?

I suppose, isn't the best choice using a D40 for sport photography, as have only 3 autofocusing point.
    Anyway you must be use AF-S or AF-I lens for this camera, so haven't to much choice. For telephoto just for starting stage be good this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-GREY/Nikon_2161_AF_S_VR_Zoom_Nikkor.html

Later on, if your budget allowing you to replace camera as well, you can use faster (which means larger aperture that means smaller f value) where the aperture not 4.5-5.6 else around 2.8 or less, but they are quiet expensive pieces like a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 G VG for cca 1400 euro.

Of course you should educate yourself about the whole Tax/Duty thing if you do buy in the states.

5uspect wrote: »
    Of course you should educate yourself about the whole Tax/Duty thing if you do buy in the states.

In the same way that anyone who sells a photograph should educate themselves about tax on their earning from that sale.

Shame on those thousands and thousands of people who visited the USA and came home with shopping but didn't declare it. Even the news covered it, stating that there are VERY little checks. Not that I'm condoning that sort of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

So I'm heading off tomorrow.
    Thinking of getting a new camera. I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 for last few year, which to be honest, I've never been happy with. It takes great landscape photos in good light, but is terrible indoors and in poor light (to be honest this does not match reviews of this model so I suspect I got a dud).

Anyhow thinking to upgrade and wondering if anyone has any tips on which models to look are good deals in the airport.

I suppose I'm looking for something with similar functionality to the TZ3 wide angle lens, x10 zoom. But I would like something that gives a bit more control over camera settings (thou I'm not prepared to jump to DSLR).
    Importantly I want something thats takes good indoor and low light shots.

Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The problem with most compacts is they are brutal beyond ISO 400, some of them can't even handle that. Any compact I've ever owned I would set it to no more than ISO 200, switch off Auto ISO override, and if I needed indoor shots in bad lighting so bad, I'd set it down on a table and use the timer [or just use the flash! often your best bet with any compact]

Consider something like the Canon powershot S95, as it has an f/2 lens which should be good enough for normal lit indoor usage. I'd rather have that than 10x zoom.

If you really need a lot of zoom, the cost goes up the more bits and bobs you require, try find one that has the zoom but also a fast aperture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement