Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

im in the market for a 500d

wheres the best place to pick one up?

cheap as possible as well:D

would I get one for 400-450 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

If this is the wrong forum, maybe a mod can move it. Sorry!

I'm looking for a good Digital Camera, budget prob around €200.

I'd like something small and slim, easy enough to carry around with you in a pocket etc.

It's only really for holiday snaps and on nights out etc.

I was looking at the Casio Exilim Range - I like the "airbrush" feature :P

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2010/09/11/Casio-Exilim-EX-H15/p1

and

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/06/27/Casio-Exilim-EX-S12/p1

Feel free to recommend your own pref too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hi

First time posting on this forum. I'm being very lazy but need to buy a new camera for general family pics etc. Budget is small, less than 200 euros but would like something reliable that will hook up automatically with iphoto etc etc.

The most important factor for me is the shutter speed. Have a young baby and the amount of great pics i've missed due to ridiculously slow shutter speed of current camera is shocking.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

not a recommendation, but I'm guessing you mean shutter lag. That is the time it takes to actually take the photograph after you press the button?

Shutter speed is completely different. See here

Shutter speed determines the amount of light let into the camera. A slow shutter speed lets in more light (used in dark scenarios) but makes images much more subject to blur.

If you are missing images because it takes to long to take the image after you press the button, this is shutter lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

alexlyons wrote: »
    not a recommendation, but I'm guessing you mean shutter lag. That is the time it takes to actually take the photograph after you press the button?

Yep that's it exactly, mental note lag not speed. Should help me with some of my online searches thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys

Hope I'm not asking too much of a noob question, but is it worth paying a bit extra to get the Canon 550D over the 500D or even the Nikon D3100?

I had originally set a budget of around €600 to spend but recently the price of the 500D has come down a lot and can be picked up for around €650 (on Amazon) so I'd be prepared to spend that much, if its worth it.

I've looked at both the D3100 and 500D and my only drawback with the D3100 is it seemed a bit dainty. I've large(ish) hands and the camera felt a little uncomfortable.

The camera will be used mainly for family occasions etc (at the start but hope to take an interest in photography over time). Some might include some moving sports and I'd love to be able to use the video recording features, if they are useful?

tl;dr Is the Canon 550D worth spending a few extra quid above the 500D or Nikon D3100?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Hi guys

I am a N0b when it comes to cameras, I have a Sony DSC T5 now for years which does its job well but I want to buy a good quality camera with a good zoom now for nice photos up in the scottish highlands.

I dont really want a SLR camera, I am looking at models such as

Samsung WB 600
    Nikon S8000
    Panasonic TZ8

I can afford maybe 200 pounds sterling or so, dont want to go crazy on one, also where is a good place to buy on line? I basically want a good quality lens that takes great pics! and a good wide angle zoom.

I seen the new Canon 1000HS, looks very snazzy but at 350 pounds...:rolleyes:

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Hope I'm not asking too much of a noob question, but is it worth paying a bit extra to get the Canon 550D over the 500D or even the Nikon D3100?

I had originally set a budget of around €600 to spend but recently the price of the 500D has come down a lot and can be picked up for around €650 (on Amazon) so I'd be prepared to spend that much, if its worth it.

I've looked at both the D3100 and 500D and my only drawback with the D3100 is it seemed a bit dainty. I've large(ish) hands and the camera felt a little uncomfortable.

The camera will be used mainly for family occasions etc (at the start but hope to take an interest in photography over time). Some might include some moving sports and I'd love to be able to use the video recording features, if they are useful?

tl;dr Is the Canon 550D worth spending a few extra quid above the 500D or Nikon D3100?

Thanks in advance.

I just bought a Nixon D3100 - only had it a few days, but so far I'm very happy with it. It's simple to use too, straight from the box & there's more to it that I've yet to discover, but that hasn't stopped me from using it straight away.

The video is excellent too - if you get the right card you can record hours of stuff. Haven't really used it that much yet though, but it's as good as the last video camera I had.

Unfortunately I can't give you a comparison of it to the Canons you mentioned as I haven't tried them, but I have been told by a photographer that the main advantage of Nixons over Canon is that the lenses with Nixon are always interchangable with older models, so you can pick up second hand lenses & use them with a new camera without any problems.

On the price... have a look on EBay. I got my camera for €430 including delivery from a UK seller. Brand new, still in the box. The only problem I had with it was that the converter plug wasn't the right one to go with the battery charger, but I picked one up in a hardware shop for a couple of quid. All in all, it was a great bargain.

Just be careful to check out the seller's history if you do decide to go this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Hi

I've got a Nikon D3000 and kit lens. I'd like to get a new, faster lens - a 'nifty fifty', f/1.8 seems to be the most popular. However, as far as I'm aware, there isn't one available that will autofocus with my camera (I need AF-S). So, I am also considering a 50mm f/1.4, which is considerably more expensive, but I can get one which will autofocus on my camera. Do you think the extra expense is worth it? Apart from the lovely DOF, will this give me better results in low light than the kit lens?

I'm also considering buying something with a longer focal length, maybe something like the 55-200mm http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-55-200MM-4-5-6-VR-Black/dp/B000O161X0/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300962156&sr=1-7 for taking photos of birds, details on buildings, people etc. Is this a good (enough!) lens without going into super spendy territory?

Finally, I'm going to San Francisco in May, can anyone recommend a camera shop there to pick these up? Maybe I'd be better off in the Dublin duty free?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Hi

I've got a Nikon D3000 and kit lens. I'd like to get a new, faster lens - a 'nifty fifty', f/1.8 seems to be the most popular. However, as far as I'm aware, there isn't one available that will autofocus with my camera (I need AF-S). So, I am also considering a 50mm f/1.4, which is considerably more expensive, but I can get one which will autofocus on my camera. Do you think the extra expense is worth it? Apart from the lovely DOF, will this give me better results in low light than the kit lens?

I'm also considering buying something with a longer focal length, maybe something like the 55-200mm http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-55-200MM-4-5-6-VR-Black/dp/B000O161X0/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300962156&sr=1-7 for taking photos of birds, details on buildings, people etc. Is this a good (enough!) lens without going into super spendy territory?

Finally, I'm going to San Francisco in May, can anyone recommend a camera shop there to pick these up? Maybe I'd be better off in the Dublin duty free?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G might be worth considering, if you could pick one up at the right price. It might be more suitable than a 50mm lens for a cropped sensor DSLR (as opposed to "full frame"), for use as a standard prime lens...

Sorry, I can't advise as to where you might pick one up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

woody_2000 wrote: »
    The Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G might be worth considering, if you could pick one up at the right price. It might be more suitable than a 50mm lens for a cropped sensor DSLR (as opposed to "full frame"), for use as a standard prime lens...

Sorry, I can't advise as to where you might pick one up...

Cheers, I was thinking of a 35mm too, but didn't want to make my post even longer and more waffly! I guess I need to get out and about with the kit lens and see whether I prefer using it at 50mm or 35mm...

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Is it worth paying a bit extra to get the Canon 550D over the 500D or even the Nikon D3100......

Thanks in advance.

If you look around on ebay you'll get a 550d for in and around 600eu including shipping with a starter lens. I picked one up a few weeks ago, very happy with it.

Here's an example - about 560eu and free shipping from the uk
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-Canon-Kiss-X4-EOS-550D-18-55mm-Kit-UK-seller-/280646801765?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item4157da5965

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rather than update an old thread, I'd thought I'd post here... apologies if it's the wrong place. Also for anyone looking for info about the ebay shop that I used.

Back in January, I bought a Canon battery grip and a radio flash trigger from ukpartsdeal. IIRC, I paid for it on Thursday, got it by post on Monday.

I got the "BATTERY GRIP FOR CANON 450D 1000D 500D BG-E5 EOS+4 BATT" (the shop is still selling this model), and I found it to be quite good for £39. It came with the 4 batteries, and the grip feels sturdy enough. The extra buttons are handy for portrait shots. It also came with an adapter tath allows you to use 6 AA batteries. Handy if you were in the backarse of nowhere with a flat battery: most places sell AA batteries.

I also got a "Radio Flash Trigger+4Rx 550EX SB-80DX SB28 SB-800 SB600" for £29.95.

So far, the flash trigger works, but still getting used to it. It came with the transmitter that wasn't too bulky, and fitted onto the hot shoes easy enough. It came with 4 receivers. They all had 1-0 2-3 settings, to allow you a few different settings (handy in case someone else had the same model nearby). For £29 it's great, as the "pro" versions tend to start off at a few hundred.

Delivery for both of them together was £20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Hey all, advice really needed here, I know nothing about cameras!

Thinking of buying this video camera for someone as a gift on a friends recommendation:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-Zi8-Pocket-Video-Camera/dp/B002J9I3HM

However, just spotted today a video camera coming into aldi next week, wondering if its seems like its up to scratch? The specs mean nothing to my uninformed self :pac:

Here's a link to the aldi one:
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16381.htm

Basically I wanna know, is it any good?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They're both kinda crappy TBH.

Well I'm not looking to film an oscar winner or anything :p

The top one is basically the standard I want, I'd like to know though if the aldi one measures up to the same standard?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well I'm not looking to film an oscar winner or anything :p

The top one is basically the standard I want, I'd like to know though if the aldi one measures up to the same standard?

Well this is a Photography forum not a video forum.

Generally I've found Aldi/Lidl electronics like this to be gimmicky and cheap.
    Both will take video quality perhaps only slightly better than a camera phone.
    An important consideration is the format the video is stored in and the quality of the software that comes with it. There are lots of good free apps for converting and editing video put perhaps this is beyond what you have in mind.

The 5th gen ipod nano had a camera that was tailored for youtube video at VGA resolutions. It might be worth seeing if you can still get one.

Here is some footage from the Kodak:

The candy bar form factor certainly makes it inconspicuous.

I know its not a video forum but wasnt sure where else to post :) Apologies if there is a video forum.

Thanks, the Kodak looks good, just a question of if i want to chance the aldi one to save a few quid or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sinead_F

I'm getting my first camera pretty soon & I've had my eye & have been researching a few.

The thing is, I have no idea which one to get.
    I've narrowed it down so I'm looking for advice from people who have/had these cameras.

- Nikon D50
    - Sony Alpha 350
    - Nikon D3000
    - Canon 500D
    - Canon EOS 450D
    - Nikon D60
    - Fujifilm HS10

Any advice appreciated on image quality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

don't get the fuji bridge camera - you'll regret it this time next year when you decide you actually want to get a proper DSLR...

there's nothing wrong with the bridge camera - great picture quality but your always gonna regret it in the back of your head when you can't get that killer shot because you just don't have that extra bit of control or extra creative freedom that your just not going to be able to get with the bridge...

you can do loads with it compared to a P&S but at the end of the day you'll regret it and will end up getting a DSLR after a year or two... you may as well just get a DSLR now and start collecting lens now because you'll probably end up going that way in the end anyways

I learned that and now am trying to save to get a DSLR because although I have a great camera in my Panasonic FZ38 - it still can't do what an entry level DSLR will do.... (well bar the big zoom which is handy for sports if it's a nice sunny day but if your going for sports then just get DSLR automatically even though the cost is gonna add up when you have to get a big zoom lens)

that's all the advice I can give right now and I'll let someone else try to help you choose which DSLR is best for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Of all the cameras you have listed I would say the Canon 500D would be the best of the lot. That is just my opinion. I use Nikon and started out with a D70s then a D80 and now I have a D700. When you are buying a DSLR remember you need a lens also and there are so many to choose from. The most popular brands are Canon and Nikon, there are lots of secondhand cameras and lenses to be had for these brands. Have a look on www.adverts.ie.
    Also go into a camera shop and hold each camera you are interested in, see which is right for you.
    Once you get into photography you will be looking for the next best camera body, lens or some other accessory. It never stops :D.
    Good luck in your search for a DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I'd agree with John but add that there's a canon 550D which is (a bit) more recent and is also very nice and shouldn't break the bank with the price difference.

There's also a 600D now but it's probably hard to come by as it's so new and will be a little pricey I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bubblyray

Hey guys Im looking to get a digital camera which will mainly be used for outdoor shots and mainly landscape photography.

Does any1 know what the best make and model for this on the market is??

All advice is greatly appreciated!!
    Ray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Bubblyray wrote: »
    Hey guys Im looking to get a digital camera which will mainly be used for outdoor shots and mainly landscape photography.

Does any1 know what the best make and model for this on the market is??

All advice is greatly appreciated!!
    Ray :)

Really depends how much you're willing to pay. Judging by your question, I'll assume you're a complete beginner, in which case a Canon 500D or 550D, or a Nikkon D3100 or D5000 is probably a good idea. Brand will mostly be based on personal taste. I've personally gotten some (I think :p) fantastic landscape shots from the kit 18-55mm these camera do come with, but depending on how serious you are you may want a more wide angle lens. :)

If you are willing to pay a bit more, the Nikkon D7000 may be a better option as it is decently weather sealed and sturdy (as far as DSLR's go) compared to the similar range Canons, such as the 60D (which I will be buying for the better video features).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

flying to Paris tomorrow from Terminal 2

Apparently the dixons travel shop has a 500d for 520euros so I read? is it worth buying at that price or will I wait and get the 550d a few months down the road?

I'm a complete beginner so the 500d would be more than adequate for me.

I'd also like to confirm that its dixons travel shop I can get the 500d from?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mayoman ngalway

hello all,

I am starting to get into photography now, and have had what I would say some good camera's in the past; Fuji s3000, and s7000.

but after a mishap with the latter, I am moving on, and I'm not sure which one to get.
    I was in the Galway camera shop earlier today, and saw two I would love to have.
    One is the Nikon 3100, which comes with a 18-55mm lens, 4 gig sd card, and a carry case/bag.

The other is the canon 1000d, which come's with 18-55mm lens, and another lens 75-300mm. also comes with 2 gig sd card.

The price is not that bad as there is only 50 Euros difference between them.
    I just want a good camera, and a good lens, or am I going to high quality?

any advise welcome.

cheers mayoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some help with choosing a camera. After doing my bit of research I am now down to choice between two cameras; the Canon 1100D and Canon 550D. I am a beginners so i think the 550D would be more than suitable for my needs both now and as i learn more. The 1100D is my second choice; i hadnt seriously considered it before, but when i went into Gunns camera shop on wexford street, the lady said it was quite a good buy for the price. its also about 200 euro cheaper which suits me better.

Anyway, my preference is for the 550D as I said, but its coming back to price. I'd rather buy brand new and from a shop, but I have been looking on e-bay too and there are some bargains to be had. I wonder though is there any major differences between the models which are EOS Kiss/Rebel (american version?!) and the XXXD (european versions?!). I obviously dont want to end up with the wrong power supply etc!

If anyone has any experience with the american versions I'd love to know. they seem to be slightly cheaper, but there has to be a catch.

Likewise if anyone can help my indecisivness between the 550D and 1100D I would be grateful.

Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

gstar wrote: »

Here's a pretty good website for comparing cameras (:

Just remember when buying things on ebay from outside the EU, you'll have to pay the taxman 21% when the camera is delivered ;)

Thanks Telchak :)

yea I actually had a look at the comparison tool thingy on DPReview too, and read reviews also. Although most of it was gobbledygook to me, I think I did actually learn a bit!! That site looks good too.... Not many reasons to choose the 1100D over the 550D, i suppose in this case, you do actually get what you pay for :D

I thought i found a few sellers on e-bay who would be ok, but to be honest im not sure where they ship from, i had restricted my search to UK & ireland & EU sellers but the negative comments claimed stuff was being shipped from US/Hong-Kong etc so i would rather buy in a real shop but if the price is right i will buy online! Decisions decisions!

• Advertisement

continuing on with my research yesterday evening i found this site which i found very helpful in learning about photography/camera realted terminology, it has helped me narrow down my choices so I know what I want now and i just need to find the best deal :) finally!!

thought it might be useful to post it in here for any other n00bs like me starting out! it says its a canon faq, but i found it actually gave me a fairly basic/simple understanding of terms i didnt understand before such as apeture f/stops, prime lens, focal length, depth of field etc.

Might be worth a read for anyone starting out like me (sorry if its been posted before) ;)

[HTML]http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/[/HTML]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement