Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I'm in Dublin city at the moment and just wondering what shop would be best to go to at lunchtime to talk to somebody about getting a new camera. I need to chat with somebody who has good technical info.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

PS: Also, what's the best digital photography course in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Dionysus wrote: »

I bought a lens in Bermingham's on Burgh Quay this afternoon, first time I've bought any camera stuff in a store and not online XD The guy was great, knew his stuff and chatted a bit about older cameras. He gave me some 120 film for free and showed me how to put it in the camera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Hey all,
    I've been doing photography for over a year now using my digital camera (Olympus X -42) and I'd like to upgrade to a DSLR.
    I've kind of reduced it to two cameras. The Canon 550D and one of the latests cameras from Canon, the 600D. I've read many reviews of the 550D and I'm swaying more in its direction.
    But (there's always a but), me being new to DSLRs, is it the right camera? I'm not entirely sure of lenses, which to use, would the 18-55mm be good for taking macro images? I love getting in the detail.of the smallest things in everyday life. As well as landscapes. Also would they be capable of taking quick photos with little or no blur? and the video quality, what is it like?
    I'm open to know other DSLRs which have the similar or better qualities. My price range is up to and around €900, I'm willing to stretch it a little. If you know of a shop which has them at a good price, all the better.
    If it helps, I usually take:
    -macro images (plants, everyday objects)
    -portraits
    -landscape (usually fields)
    -poorly lit, run down houses. Interior mainly. ( for filming purposes as well as photography)
    Many thanks,

D.B

There is not a huge difference between the 550D and 600D beyond the swivel screen (which is very useful for video).

The reason they include the 18-55mm is because it's a good, cheap all purpose lens for beginners. However, doing something more particular you will need better lenses. I've gotten great results for landscapes, so you'll be fine unless you want to really wide angle.

The 50mm 1.8 is about €130 in a shop, and is great quality and speed for the price, good for avoiding blur.

Without taking long exposures on a tripod, taking indoor photos in poorly lit places is gonna be difficult with the 18-55mm at 18mm f3.5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roobaroo

hi all!

my first post here. :) i have been using my Panasonic Lumix TZ10 for almost a year now and want to upgrade to a SLR due to my blooming interest in photography. thing is, i want to get use to a SLR camera and dont think its worth to get an advance, expensive camera as i want to learn first.

a friend of mine is offering to sell her Canon 20D with kit lens 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 for 350euro to me. i have seen her using it and she is a careful person towards her camera. i would like to ask for your opinion whether the price and the camera is worth buying as the model is quite old and i'm not sure about the performance of the model in general. and also i'm still studying so i have to take money into consideration. :D any advice please? :)

thanks in advance for your time. :)

• Advertisement

Seems a bit steep compared to prices on ebay. The 18-55mm lens ain't worth much, so I wouldn't be taking that to be much a bonus compared to body only sales. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roobaroo

Telchak wrote: »
    Seems a bit steep compared to prices on ebay. The 18-55mm lens ain't worth much, so I wouldn't be taking that to be much a bonus compared to body only sales. :/

really? aww. :( thanks so much for your quick response. so you're suggesting that i should look around on ebay for second hand camera? thing is i really dont know which model to survey (its a lot and i often get dizzy at the end of my search :confused:) so in the end i rely on my friends recommendation. would you kindly suggest few models please? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

I'm trying to make a decision for my first DSLR too...I guess it's more about lenses than the body when you're looking for an entry level one, which I am.

I've narrowed it down (although not limited it to!) to the Nikon D3100 and the Canon T1i, mostly looking for something for low light/high ISO, macro, gigs, and plenty of lens options, just for a hobby only.

..Which is why I'm a bit wary of the Nikon...isn't the D3100 forward compatible with lenses but not backward compatible? And you're also limited to the 50mm 1.4 which is a lot pricier than the 1.8. Down the line I'd ideally like to have a 50mm (either 1.8 or 1.4), the kit 18-55mm lens, and an 18-200mm (or something similar). I'm leaning towards the canon, mostly because of the lens issues with the nikon. Any thoughts or advice is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

For the D3100, the best low light prime for a budget is the 35mm 1.8, runs in and around 200 quid at most, but it's a good lense, and the 50mm can normally be a bit tight on the beginners nikon series, speaking from experience.

Basically, the nikon can only use the more expensive Af-s lenses, which adds a hefty amount onto lenses most of the time.

Whereas the canon has an af motor in it, so you can get the cheaper 50mm 1.8 and other cheaper sigma lenses that don't have an af motor.

You're buying into a franchise, it tends to be a case of once you go canon or nikon you never swap over.

I started off with a nikon D3000, and it's biggest downfall was no af motor. Upgraded to a D200 and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Basically, the nikon can only use the more expensive Af-s lenses, which adds a hefty amount onto lenses most of the time.

Whereas the canon has an af motor in it, so you can get the cheaper 50mm 1.8 and other cheaper sigma lenses that don't have an af motor.

Just as a brief correction, NO canon bodies, from their EOS film bodies onwards, have had AF motors. Canon, way back when, made the choice to go with lenses with AF motors built in, and completely re-jigged their lens mount, from the older FD to EOS. At the time it was viewed as disasterous, and hurt Canon quite a bit. Ultimately it turned out to be a good move. Nikon stuck with backwards compatibility as a mantra, and possibly didn't have the tech at the time to do motor-in-lens AF (although much earlier than the current AFS they had AFI lenses with the motor built in). The price discrepancy isn't so much, Nikon are commited to AFS going forward (ALL their new lenses for the last 6 or 7 years, barring one or two oddities, have been AFS), and there's significant cost savings apparently on the bodies that's passed down as a lower price point. Plus I presume Nikon reckoned (probably correctly) that the vast majority of people buying a bottom end body would probably never use anything other than the kit lens with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭First Focus

Hi everyone, i'm looking for some advice, i have a lumix tz60 or something like that but anyway i spilled some juice on the dial and now its jamming, anyway i'm looking to move onto something a little bigger and maybe more bells and whistles, i have 3 kids and a husban who loves to cycle race so these are probably what i would be photographing most, also i do a bit of sugarcraft cake decorating and use camera on this too, anyway, could anyone give me advice as to what would be best type of camera for me, i'm willing to spend in or around €600-€800, thanks guys.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I would say a Canon 550D would be good for you.
    It has a HD video mode which might be nice for the cycling and its a nice camera too.
    As for the lens you may as well go with the basic kit lens that comes with the camera until you are used to the camera and have realised the limitations of what you are using and require better/different gear to achieve what you envision.

Thanks zerohamster, is it a good camera for doing stills of the cycling too i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I got quoted a difference of 200e/250e between the 500d, and 550d.
    Is there much of a difference ?

extra 3MP
    extra resolution
    slightly higher res on display
    alot less Continuous Shooting Max Frames

src: http://www.camera-catalog.com/compares/popular/canon_eos_550d_vs_canon_eos_500d

so does that mean a 500 would be alot better to start off with ?
    (thinking of buying up myself shortly)

Hi, what price were you quoted if you don't mind me asking, think it will be my mothers day present to myself
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I think it was 600e for the 500d in curries in liffey valley, girlfriend took down all the prices.
    850 for the 550d in another store

http://www.currys.ie/Product/CANON-EOS-500D-Digital-SLR-Camera-1855mm-Zoom-Lens/299571/176

Hi Samhail, did you check out pixmania, i bought my last camera from there, just gave a quick look in there and it is saying 500d is €509 or something to that effect, just check it out anyway, it says -21% off retail price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Thanks zerohamster, is it a good camera for doing stills of the cycling too i wond er

I own a 500D and it is a great camera, the 550D is a good improvement over the 500D with bettermanual control over video and other improvements on pixel count, better screen shape to match sensor shape ratio, a much better metering system taken from the 7D, support of Eyefi cards and an external mic port to improve recording sound.
    Really any modern DSLR will be great to start off on but the 550D is probably a better choice considering that once you get used to the camera you will be able to use the extra functions.

Also any modern DSLR will be great for cycling but it is the lens that will make the difference in that respect. Unless you are shooting in the evening then the current kit lens of the 550D or 500D would suit perfectly.
    I wouldnt recommend buying any other lenses until you are used to the current lens and can justify getting a new lens for say zoomed shots of cycling that would suit road cycling.

My Dad is a cyclist also so from experience I would say a telephoto lens would be nice to have in the future but when starting off I would recommend the basic kit lens for learning.

Here is a good price for a 550D on Amazon that works out at ~€720 with the basic kit lens which is a pretty good deal compared to the shop prices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Hi I'm thinking of buying a Canon IXUS either 130 or 105. Or 220. I've just been told to buy a canon ixus and they lower end of their range is 130 or 105. I'd spend up to €250 if it meant getting a great camera, but the less I spend the better. Just looking for a camera for taking pictures of friends and that kind of thing, but I'd like them to come out well. I'd actually like a photo for taking pictures at a soccer game aswell, but I think that might be asking a bit much for that price. What can you recommend. I wouldn't be totally against a dslr, but would probably prefer a point and shoot for convenience and price.

Thanks for all the info zerohamster, it is a great help to me, looks like i may try the 550, seems to be what i'm looking for, just need now to save up bit more money, thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Anyone know where I can get the Cactus V5's in Ireland?

EDIT: FOUND THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Hi Folks,

Like many others I am upgrading from P&S to prosumer DSLR and have done a ton of reading and I think I know what I need but would appreciate some advice all the same!

New Body Only D-SLR (incl battery + charger) - pref Canon or Nikon
    Decent second sand lens as opposed to new kit lens

The Body
    I'd rather if it doesn't have video recording as I feel it's a waste of function/money on a camera but if it does have it on an otherwise good camera I'll get over it.

I also realise it's not all about the MP but I don't know what a good sensor or processor is or what to look out for really

Mostly I'd be interested in nature so I'd want a good depth of field (something to do with f/stops i think?), nightscapes so needs to be good under low ISO and slow shutter speeds and also a bit of portrait would be the main concern. If it's fast enough to shoot kittens/cats at play also well that's just a bonus!!!

I need to do some reading on lenses but if ye can recommend a good set of lenses for the above that will fit a canon or nikon it'd be much appreciated.

Here's the fun bit - what are my chances of getting the above at €400-€500? I suppose I can get a second hand body if anyone has a good recommendation?

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Seeing as I'm a complete noob when it comes to digital SLR cameras, I'm looking for recommendations here on a decent camera to buy for around 600-1200 euro for outdoors/nature types of shots. Any suggestions?

Edit: a Nikon D7000 looks very tempting. Not sure what sort of lens to get with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Ok, so after a lot of reading it looks like I'll be going for a Nikon D5000. My only concern is the lack of motor focus - is this a big deal?

Also, if I wait for the D5100 to come out do you reckon the D5000 will drop much in price or do manufacturers not give rebates to sellers to clear old stock?

Cheers

Edit: Turns out the Nikon D80 is the camera for me... now to find the right deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shtylin

Hi, I just a canon eos 450d! with the 18-55 lens, but i saw the af 35-105 lens with for the canon eos 1000fn for really cheap, just wondering if the 35-105 will work on my 450d and if it's significantly better or worth it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

shtylin wrote: »
    Hi, I just a canon eos 450d! with the 18-55 lens, but i saw the af 35-105 lens with for the canon eos 1000fn for really cheap, just wondering if the 35-105 will work on my 450d and if it's significantly better or worth it?

Thanks

I'm not sure about, 'cos the eos 1000Fn is an old (cca. 20 years) film camera. The common point with 450D is the EF bayonet only.
    If I know right, AF 35-105 is a Minolta lens, have A-mount for Sony's

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Hi Folks,

Been looking at upgrading my camera body recently and was wondering would an upgrade path from a D200 to a D7000 be worthwile? I already have a decent selection of DX lenses for my camera which I'm assuming will work ok on this new body?

I will be doing a lot of gig photography so a camera that could perform well in low light and photos taken with higher ISO's would be ideal. I also like the idea of a movie mode where I can record 1080p at 24fps.

Thanks,

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buggles

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding which lens would be the best to buy. I'm considering either a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 or Nikon 50mm f/1.4 for a D40 camera. It'll be mainly used for gig photography. I'm open to any other suggestions but I don't have a huge budget which is why I like the looks of these lens!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

There are two 50mm 1.4 lenses available - the 1.4 D and the newer, bigger more expensive 1.4 G. The 1.4 D is a wonderful lens and even focuses a little quicker than the newer version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

your DX lenses will work perfectly well on the d7000.

You will be amazed by the low light performance of the camera compared to the d200 and any other cropped sensor nikons. It performs almost as well as the more expensive d700/D3 in low light and at high iso.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement