Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

emrys wrote: »
    There are two 50mm 1.4 lenses available - the 1.4 D and the newer, bigger more expensive 1.4 G. The 1.4 D is a wonderful lens and even focuses a little quicker than the newer version.

The 1.4 afd won't AF at all on the D40 though, the newer AFS version (the 1.4 G) will.
    Might be good for gigs, as on DX the 50mm will give you a slightly tighter FOV than on 35mm or full frame. If you're looking for a lens to take gig shots thats also a good normal walkaround lens though, look at the 35mm f/1.8 DX. It's designed specifically for the DX format as a normal lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

The 1.4 afd won't AF at all on the D40 though, the newer AFS version (the 1.4 G) will.
    Might be good for gigs, as on DX the 50mm will give you a slightly tighter FOV than on 35mm or full frame. If you're looking for a lens to take gig shots thats also a good normal walkaround lens though, look at the 35mm f/1.8 DX. It's designed specifically for the DX format as a normal lens.

ah yes forgot the D lenses won't auto focus on the D40 - 35mm f.1.8 dx is meant to be a wonderful lens (and reasonably priced for a nikon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Hi All

Looking for Wide Angle Lens for my canon eos 450d. I am not a professional so I am not interested in the expensive lenses. but it should be good lenses for sure :)

Any advice Plz

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Hi All,

I'm on the lookout for a decent digital camera. Can somebody recommend me one please? I read somewhere Canon are the best brand?

I was looking at the Canon Ixus
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4845323/art/canon/digital-ixus-130-silver.html
    or
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9010644/art/canon/digital-ixus-220-hs-silve.html

Basically I am after a decent camera for taking some good quality snaps. The camera I currently have (Kodak Easyshare M883 - 8.0 megapixels) fails at taking pics for example in a church even with the flash switched on. They turn out so dull.

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056053341

Plenty of really good advice in there! Worth checking it out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

220hs has slightly wider and longer zoom 24mm-120mm and full hd video, it's newer model with back-lit sensor

ixus 130 has 28mm-112mm zoom, 720p video and 2mm thinner body

220HS looks like better model of two you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Is there a site or general source that could explain all about different sorts of lenses? I think I'm ready to start getting away from the kit lense. I shoot with a 450D.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buggles

emrys wrote: »
    ah yes forgot the D lenses won't auto focus on the D40 - 35mm f.1.8 dx is meant to be a wonderful lens (and reasonably priced for a nikon!)

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I've been having a look at the Nikon website, and while it is wonderful to check out the many lenses I feel like I need to go on a course just to know which one to pick!! :confused: (Had a similar feeling while reading through the posts!)
    So then I started reading about each lense and now I'm really confused :eek:

The last gig I was taking photos at I was using the D40 lense, 18-55mm 3.5. I'd followed some advice I'd found online regarding settings and set the camera to them as close as I could. Most of the photos turned out quite well but the problem was blurring, they would have been wonderful if the musicians stood still! This is why I'm looking for a lense with a really fast shutter speed.

Would the 35mm f.1.8 dx suit this type of photography?
    (And I apologise if this question was already answered, I'm quite the novice :rolleyes:)

P.S. Certainly gets the thumbs up on Amazon.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mellowjohnny

Hi everyone,

im looking to get the girlfriend a zoom lense for her lumix g10 camera,iv a sigma 70-300 for my Canon 1000D buy wont fit hers,don't know a great deal about lenses but i want to get her a zoom lense thats not gonna cost me a fortune!

Anyone know of any that fits the lumix g10?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hey all, I'm looking to buy my girl friend a flash for her birthday, problem is, we're both clueless on external flashes.

So, she has a Canon 450D and I've got about €300 to spend.
    Looking for an all purpose flash really, I asked her to narrow it down and she just looked confused. Haha
    I'd say there'd be more portraits and close ups than anything long distance or landscape/nature.

I've tried the second hand market but there doesn't seem to be a lot around at the moment.

Cheers in advance.

Edit: Just want to add, she's not fond of the larger Metz flash's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

buggles wrote: »
    Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I've been having a look at the Nikon website, and while it is wonderful to check out the many lenses I feel like I need to go on a course just to know which one to pick!! :confused: (Had a similar feeling while reading through the posts!)
    So then I started reading about each lense and now I'm really confused :eek:

The last gig I was taking photos at I was using the D40 lense, 18-55mm 3.5. I'd followed some advice I'd found online regarding settings and set the camera to them as close as I could. Most of the photos turned out quite well but the problem was blurring, they would have been wonderful if the musicians stood still! This is why I'm looking for a lense with a really fast shutter speed.

Would the 35mm f.1.8 dx suit this type of photography?
    (And I apologise if this question was already answered, I'm quite the novice :rolleyes:)

P.S. Certainly gets the thumbs up on Amazon.co.uk

Check out this thread dedicated to the 35mm f 1.8 dx - http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=216842 - i haven't used the lens but looks pretty decent to me and certainly a lot better in low light compared to the 18-55 3.5 lens. The faster glass means you should be able to take photos at higher shutter speeds and avoid the blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

CianRyan wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm looking to buy my girl friend a flash for her birthday, problem is, we're both clueless on external flashes.

So, she has a Canon 450D and I've got about €300 to spend.
    Looking for an all purpose flash really, I asked her to narrow it down and she just looked confused. Haha
    I'd say there'd be more portraits and close ups than anything long distance or landscape/nature.

I've tried the second hand market but there doesn't seem to be a lot around at the moment.

Cheers in advance.

Edit: Just want to add, she's not fond of the larger Metz flash's.

The Canon 430EXii is a good little flash and will sting you around 240ish euro off t'internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mellowjohnny

hey,i bought a lumix g10 for my girlfriend as a christmas present,she loves it but im looking to get her a zoom lense for it. can anyone suggest a good zoom lense that fits the g10 and wont cost a fortune!?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Is this the cheapest place for the Samsung WB600????
    €150 free delivery

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=10014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Is this the cheapest place for the Samsung WB600????
    €150 free delivery

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=10014

From bargain alerts. €138 in Argos.
    http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223974

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Jimdagym wrote: »

Link no worky!! And price has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Hi Folks,

I'll be breif.

My missus is looking at buying a zoom lens (<300mm) for a Nikon d3000.

Having a look at a few but there is one from nikkon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-70-300-4-0-5-6-Nikkor-compatible/dp/B00005Y3OM/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302949096&sr=1-16

Good price, but as the title says that certain cameras are incompatible I am skeptical.
    Obviously, it doesn't say the d3000 is incompatible, but I wouldn't trust amazon listings entirely.

Can anybody assure me or at least recommend somewhere where I can look to find out for sure?

As of yet nikon site and google have spectacularly failed.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I do not think that the lens you quote will autofocus with the D3000.
    Some cameras do not have a built in autofocus motor and that is the reason the D3000 will not autofocus with that lens.
    You need a lens that has the autofocus motor within the lens itself.
    Hope this helps
    Have a look here
    http://pinoyjobless.com/2009/12/nikon-d3000-compatible-lenses-recommended-lens/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

If anyone else got the email from Pixmania with a link to their "special deals" on cameras for easter... Canon EOS550d for 669e for example...

I was researching prices on that site the night before the email and the price was €625.95 - so it was 40 euro cheaper before the "sale" !

Canon EOS 550D with EF-S 18-55mm and 55-250mm IS Lens Kit, was €839.95, now € 825 *** NOTE only item 14e cheaper that i was looking at
    Canon EOS 550D with EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens Kit - was €799.95, now € 879
    Canon EOS 550D with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens Kit - was €625.95, now €669
    Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera Body Only - was €555.95, now € 610

Lenses
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS was €275.95, now €384
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS was €100.95, now €169
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens - was €169.95, now €201,10

Average of 50 euro more expensive (some as high as 108e!)

Amazon is cheaper now with their free delivery

edit: simplyelectronics still has 625.95 !. Think ill go with them instead of pixmania cos of their "sale"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Promac wrote: »
    The Canon 430EXii is a good little flash and will sting you around 240ish euro off t'internet.

Hey and cheers.
    We were looking at that model before but were thinking it might not be very powerful?

If I stretched to €400 could I get something a little beefier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I do not think that the lens you quote will autofocus with the D3000.
    Some cameras do not have a built in autofocus motor and that is the reason the D3000 will not autofocus with that lens.
    You need a lens that has the autofocus motor within the lens itself.
    Hope this helps
    Have a look here
    http://pinoyjobless.com/2009/12/nikon-d3000-compatible-lenses-recommended-lens/

Thanks John.

Do Sigma do lenses with built in AF or should I just tell her to focus her self?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks John.

Do Sigma do lenses with built in AF or should I just tell her to focus her self?:D

Sigma do lens with built in auto focus motors but I would recommend you buy a Nikon lens with the af motor. As far as I know any Nikon lens with AF-S is suitable for the D3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Howdy folks, Looking to get a decent compact bridge camera and the aforementioned is selling in Argos for 190E ...seems good value to me? What are your opinions on this? ...Is it a decent camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Fingers McGinty, I'm sorry I've no idea of the newer models, but i used to have a Fujifilm Finepix S5600 before I got my dslr, and I would absolutely trust the Fujifilm Finepix family and recommend them. Mine was brilliant to use on auto and scene modes, and gave great scope to learn manual controls too if one so wished. Menu was easy, and camera was sturdy but light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

And under low light conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well I remember you could up the iso quite a bit, can't remember the exact number, but it wasn't the greatest. But mine was a much older model, so I would expect they would have improved the performance since. They've been at the Fujifilm Finepix so long, I'd say the newer ones must be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I'm nearly in the same boat as Mountainsandh, i currently have a Fujifilm 9500 and will be upgrading to a canon shortly. I havnt messed around with ISO settings all the much with mine, this camera has a max exposure time of 4s which got interesting photos of the night sky/moon during the weekend. will be uploading photos later on tonight.

(though a quick search online says that s9500 has 30s exposure, i might have s9800 (got it from australia))

ill check later tonight.

Teferi wrote: »
    Is there a site or general source that could explain all about different sorts of lenses? I think I'm ready to start getting away from the kit lense. I shoot with a 450D.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Not sure anyone will have the time to discuss and explains *all* the different available lenses. Perhaps if you could give an idea of the type of photography you want to do, portrait/landscape/sports/nature etc. people could offer suggestions on suitable lenses.

• Advertisement

I've half decided on a nifty fifty but I'm generally interested in what different types of lenses are used for. I would have thought there was some sort of resource but having trouble finding one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement