Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 remindslr1

remindslr1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm going to buy CANON EOS 500D and i would like to ask what do you think about this price?:
    Canon Eos 500D Body - €555
    CONS CAMERAS - €599
    I can't find better than those €555...

Oh, and I have lenses from my old SLR Canon so this is why i'm buying only body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Would you consider stretching to the Canon 550 (im looking at 550d considering stretching to 600d if i happen to get a big cash inflow this month)

Canon EOS 550D (camera only) Pimxania €589
    Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera Body Only simplyelectronics €561.95

Canon EOS 500D (camera only)Pimxania €601
    Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Body only simplyelectronics €529.95

From a recent post of mine i am staying away from Pixmania for a while, cos their "easter specials" put the price of cameras/lenses up an average of 50e...
    though on the other hand someone made a post in bargain alerts recently sayign to stay well clear of simply electronics, though a few photographers sadi they never had any problems.

edit: oh yeah - you sound sure enough that your old canon lense will fit it... just need to be sure... else could save a fwe quid when you buy the camera if you buy it with a lense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 remindslr1

I'm sure that my lenses will fit because i checked it already, my friend has this Canon 500D so everything is okay! :d
    I would rather stay away from pixmania because i've heard a lot wrong opinions about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Hi All,

I know this is a forum for photography enthusiasts but your input would be great appreciated. I need to buy a new camera for my office which has decent photo quality (standard request) but also has good quality video recording capabilities.

I am finding it hard to search for specifically what I need but I have come up with the following options and would appreciate comments or other suggestions:

Sony DSCWX5T Cybershot Digital Camera:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Z9LLZG/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&psc=1

Sony DSCTX9H Cybershot Digital Camera
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCTX9H-Cybershot-Digital-Camera/dp/B003Z9LLRE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303208506&sr=1-1

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Thinking of buying a canon 55-250 IS lens for my 550d. I want something with a bit of reach (i.e. for animal/bird/nature photography and maybe a bit of sports), it's cheap (around 150strl) and it has great reviews on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-55-250mm-Telephoto-Selected-Digital/dp/B000V9D5LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303228842&sr=8-1

Anyone have any experience with this lens or can suggest an alternative around the same range/price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

CianRyan wrote: »
    Hey and cheers.
    We were looking at that model before but were thinking it might not be very powerful?

If I stretched to €400 could I get something a little beefier?

On a flash for a 450D? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

glanman wrote: »
    Hi All,

I know this is a forum for photography enthusiasts but your input would be great appreciated. I need to buy a new camera for my office which has decent photo quality (standard request) but also has good quality video recording capabilities.

I am finding it hard to search for specifically what I need but I have come up with the following options and would appreciate comments or other suggestions:

Sony DSCWX5T Cybershot Digital Camera:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Z9LLZG/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&psc=1

Sony DSCTX9H Cybershot Digital Camera
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCTX9H-Cybershot-Digital-Camera/dp/B003Z9LLRE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303208506&sr=1-1

I have the tx9 and find it pretty good, pretty fast to use, touch screen not too bad, very good screen on it, image quality similar to other compacts, spec. of the other model you posted looks slightly better. Battery life a little on the short side. Wide angle lens in nice, not sure if its too wide for most shots though
    have few photos here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/eolhc/sets/72157626390652343/

few panoramas on my pix.ie page

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Hi

Looking for advice and recommendations for Wide Angle Lens for Canon 450D

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 total_

Hi, I'm looking for advice on a good "all round" lens for canon 450d. Have a budget of about €500.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 LaLaLand101

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new camera soon and was just looking for some advice.
    I'm 15 so I need it to be small enough and less than 150 euro. I got a camera (Fujifilm a180) Christmas 2009 and thought it was great at first but it's not that good.
    Some points I'd like:
      Less than 150 euro (as cheap as possible for a good camera) Small and easy to carry Li ion battery (I've heard they are better - have the aa battery one and it's really hard on batteries) Doesn't have a long processing time between taking photos - was recently at a concert and it took ages to let me take photos Has video with sound Good zoom (more than 4) Large screen Good battery life Good specs and good new features in general Lots of different modes for different scenes Good dark/night imagery

Basically I want a good camera that I can use out and with friends but so it's also good for scenery etc.
    The processing time is really important to me (prob one of the most important things) and dark/night time photos.
    I've heard Canon is the best brand, is this true?
    I had been looking on Argos and saw this camera reduced from 239 to 119:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594834/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780865%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441.htm

It looks pretty good to me but I don't really know anything about cameras. If I'm spending the money I want it to last.

If anyone can suggest any good cameras I'd be really grateful. They don't have to be in Argos.
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I've just seen the stickey. Will post there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 LaLaLand101

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new camera soon and was just looking for some advice.
    I'm 15 so I need it to be small enough and less than 150 euro. I got a camera (Fujifilm a180) Christmas 2009 and thought it was great at first but it's not that good.
    Some points I'd like:
    Less than 150 euro (as cheap as possible for a good camera)
    Small and easy to carry
    Li ion battery (I've heard they are better - have the aa battery one and it's really hard on batteries)
    Doesn't have a long processing time between taking photos - was recently at a concert and it took ages to let me take photos
    Has video with sound
    Good zoom (more than 4)
    Large screen
    Good battery life
    Good specs and good new features in general
    Lots of different modes for different scenes
    Good dark/night imagery

Basically I want a good camera that I can use out and with friends but so it's also good for scenery etc.
    The processing time is really important to me (prob one of the most important things) and dark/night time photos.
    I've heard Canon is the best brand, is this true?
    I had been looking on Argos and saw this camera reduced from 239 to 119:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594834/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780865%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441.htm

It looks pretty good to me but I don't really know anything about cameras. If I'm spending the money I want it to last.

If anyone can suggest any good cameras I'd be really grateful. They don't have to be in Argos.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Hi All,

I am looking at upgrading my compact Canon Digital and I want to get something that give high quality photo and video on a price range that isnt too big (true SLR's) so I have decided on a Bridge Camera...

I have been looking at the Fujifilm HS 10 (looks great but dont like the AA batteries tho) and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45..

What do people think of these or are there others I should look into.. ??

Any suggestions / advice welcome!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nu2dis

Looking to buy new camera .... its my first DSLR .... think I've settled on the Canon 550D .... just wondering where is best to buy? .... bricks & mortar store or on line?

Most shops in Dublin seem to be quoting €799 including the kit lens and a half days training ... would save about €120 buying on line but no training .... is the training worth the difference? ... any issues buying on line.

Thanks

nu

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Hi all,

I've had a look at previous posts and can't locate an up to date thread recommending what type of Digital SLR camera is the best within a certain price range.

Can anyone recommend a Digital SLR for a beginner who has only used digital compact cameras previously?

I'm hoping to get something for around €300 is this realistic?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

You won't get anything new for that price, but you should find something second hand. Have a look on adverts.
    Something like a Nikon D40 is a good beginners DSLR. You might get one for as little as €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

mmalaka wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for advice and recommendations for Wide Angle Lens for Canon 450D

Thanks

Any one Plz??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I got a job recently taking photos at an event in a hotel, the lighting was very low and only yet have the on-board flash on my Nikon D60. Photos came out quite harsh for my liking so need to upgrade my kit in advance of any similar work.

Can anyone recommend a good external flash for the Nikon D60? I'm a student and budget is tight, but don't want something that's useless either..! Have even been looking at some of the cheaper options on deal extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi guys,

Looking at getting myself a DSLR camera for general use and a bit of a side hobby here and there. Photography has always been an interest of mine but have never had the time to do anything about it! Now I have the time and in some ways the need to build my skills in his area.

My preference is Canon, and so far I have tried a 350D and a 450D which were both quite nice.

I would be delighted if anyone could give me their views on here as to which one of the above, or any other of the Canon range I should go for.

Also, can anybody recommend a good backpack that will take my camera, lens', laptop and some other bits and pieces.

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

The big question is how much you're willing to spend on it. The 350D is quite old at this stage and even the 450D is getting on a bit. The 450D is still a very good camera though and is by no means out-dated yet.

Having said that, as I mentioned price, you'll get a much bigger sensor if you add a few extra quid and get a 550D instead. They're a very nice stills camera and will even do decent video.

For the bag, you're better off going into a camera shop and trying a few out for size. Some people like shoulder bags (I do) and some like backpacks or sling-shot types (over 1 shoulder but still backpack). Just make sure it'll fit everything you like to carry around with you - i.e. do you normally carry a bag with stuff in it like books/sweater/etc? If so you'll miss the extra space and end up not using the camera bag - I'm currently using a normal shoulder bag (i.e. manbag) as it also fits my clothes when I'm off for a weekend away but still has room for the camera and a spare lens. But I don't take a laptop or more than 1 spare lens so it's subjective really.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Promac wrote: »
    The big question is how much you're willing to spend on it. The 350D is quite old at this stage and even the 450D is getting on a bit. The 450D is still a very good camera though and is by no means out-dated yet.

Having said that, as I mentioned price, you'll get a much bigger sensor if you add a few extra quid and get a 550D instead. They're a very nice stills camera and will even do decent video.

For the bag, you're better off going into a camera shop and trying a few out for size. Some people like shoulder bags (I do) and some like backpacks or sling-shot types (over 1 shoulder but still backpack). Just make sure it'll fit everything you like to carry around with you - i.e. do you normally carry a bag with stuff in it like books/sweater/etc? If so you'll miss the extra space and end up not using the camera bag - I'm currently using a normal shoulder bag (i.e. manbag) as it also fits my clothes when I'm off for a weekend away but still has room for the camera and a spare lens. But I don't take a laptop or more than 1 spare lens so it's subjective really.

Hi there,

Budget would be about 3-400 roughly.. Although, I like quality products, as I am OCD about minding my equipment, so the right package at a slightly higher price would still be tempting.

My interests are motorsport and then general day to day stuff. So thats the sort of camera I need. Good for stills, portraits indoor, landscape, but also good for fast moving stuff.

Rgds

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brighteyess

hi guys

i'm new to boards and i wanted to ask about a digital camera.. I'm looking for one for my summer hols and i cant decide on what is the most important feature to buy one.. some people are telling me the zoom and pixel size is important but when i go to look i'm not sure.... i would obviously look at price first but i do want to have this camera for a while so i dont mind splashing out a bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Unless your planning to print your photos the size of a bus shelter, then megapixels will become irrelevant after 9 or 10.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, and whether or not you see yourself using things like zoom.

Really, sensor and ens are the most important things. You'll get the best results from the better known brands. For example, a 10 megapixel sony is going to be a lot better than a 12 megapixel Vivatar or something.

If you have the money, a Micro-Four Thirds camera is a good option ans they include relatively large sensors for a compact size. Lenses are also decent, and interchangeable :)

P.S.: I'm assuming you're looking at compact cameras, as opposed to a dslr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Telchak has said it really quite well. Try and remember that you get what you pay for and there's a reason that brand name cameras are sometimes seemingly expensive.

Don't get caught up in terms too much. As said more MegaPixels don't necessarily produce a better picture. There are plenty of 6MP cameras that easily beat cameras with 10MP, 12MP, 14MP etc. The lens is the really important part.

Sony for example produce a lot of digital cameras. Their cheaper units use Sony's own lens while their better quality cameras use a Carl Zeiss lens. Panasonic is another example. The cheaper cameras have a Panasonic lens while their more expensive compacts use a Leica lens.

You really do get what you pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Right so im looking for a good enough compact digital camera for around €90-100. The things I want it to do is at least 720p video with good sound recording, have at least 4x optical zoom (higher preferably), li ion battery, and a good metal/steel casing. One thing I would also like but is not essential is effects for when taking pictures like fish eye etc. Id like it to have a good macro mode also.

I saw the Panasonic Lumix FS10 for sale for €80 new, is it a good camera? Also for €80 is the Sony Cyber-shot W310. Which is the better choice there for my needs?

I saw this though for about €67 converted, the Samsung ST60: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00361ECCC/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

Which would you recommend for me, or any other recommendations for me to look at? Any help welcome, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

hi guys

i'm new to boards and i wanted to ask about a digital camera.. I'm looking for one for my summer hols and i cant decide on what is the most important feature to buy one.. some people are telling me the zoom and pixel size is important but when i go to look i'm not sure.... i would obviously look at price first but i do want to have this camera for a while so i dont mind splashing out a bit....

What type of photos do you want to tale, are you looking for something compact or is it all about image quality

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Hi guys. For some time I want to jump on the DSLR bandwagon but was content with my P&S. I just want to ask about the Nikon D3000, as Argos have it in stock for €360. Would it be OK for the job (kids portraits, macros and some landscapes) or is there any other better camera for this price?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭AJ6000

I'm looking to get a digital camera for when I go abroad for college and need some recommendations as I know nothing about cameras!

I don't want to spend more than €100. Taking wide shots and zoom are not important to me. I want a camera that is able to take quality pictures even if movement is involved (taking pics of a rugby match etc.) and one that can take good quality pics in all kinds of lighting (in nightclubs, out in the bright sun etc.)

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mmalaka wrote: »
    Any one Plz??

I have the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and I love it. I have heard stories about poor QC tho so if you do go with it make sure you get a good one. There is also the EF 10-22 which is great but costs a lot more.

Here's one taken with it on my old 350D:
    E9B70EFF527B41BBBFC997972205630A-800.jpg

There was a good thread about this very issue a few months ago, have a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Hey,

I am looking to buy a new camera I am looking for something compact, that has a good optical zoom, takes good quality photos and takes photos quickly.

Currently I have the Sony Cyber-shot DSC H3 and the Olympus SP-500UZ.

I don't like the quality of the photos from the DSC H3. I find a lot of photos to be blurry.

I love the quality of the photos from the SP-500UZ, but my problem is that the camera is too big and bulky to carry around.

I am looking to spend around €100 - €150.

Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Hey,

I am looking to buy a new camera I am looking for something compact, that has a good optical zoom, takes good quality photos and takes photos quickly.

Currently I have the Sony Cyber-shot DSC H3 and the Olympus SP-500UZ.

I don't like the quality of the photos from the DSC H3. I find a lot of photos to be blurry.

I love the quality of the photos from the SP-500UZ, but my problem is that the camera is too big and bulky to carry around.

I am looking to spend around €100 - €150.

Thanks for any help.

Olympus VR-310

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement