Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Thank you for this.

I would also appreciate other suggestions.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

could anyone give me a quick run down of the canon eos 60D there own personal views of the camera

much appriciated in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭flyandrain

hi,guys, wanna get an entery-level digital SLR camera, and my budget is around 350 euro. i am a new guy who try to learn it as a hobby, and i have found Nikon D3000 is on promoiton at the moment in both Argos and berminghamcameras,

Argos:359.99 with one yr warranty

berminghamcamera:399 with 3 yrs warranty and free traning.

my question is which one i should go for,argos price just fit my budget,
    berminghamcamera has better service i presumed.

also i am just wondering whether both of lense are the same or not? 18-55mm AF-S G VR from berminghanm and Lens model Nikon 18-55mm non VR zoom lens from argos
    any advice is welcome. thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

VR is 'Vibration Reduction'. Similar to Canon IS and Sigma's OS, it compensates for small movements, making it less likely your images will suffer from small motion blur. Particularly useful for video (:

€40 seems worth paying for the difference in lens, warranty, and dealing with people who know what they're talking about ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

I'd go with the offer in Bermingham Cameras for the longer warranty alone, but I'm sure you'll get sound advice there too. Argos will just hand you the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Berminghams, no question. Leave Argos for the kitchen scales and the gym balls.

flyandrain wrote: »
    also i am just wondering whether both of lense are the same or not? 18-55mm AF-S G VR from berminghanm and Lens model Nikon 18-55mm non VR zoom lens from argos

I missed the bit above. The fact that one is VR and the other is not indicates that they're not the same lens... VR adds to the cost of a lens, making the argos offer less appealing than it already was.

mmalaka wrote: »
    Any one Plz??

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm is a very good lens for the cost, I used to have one on a cropped-sensor Canon.

Telchak wrote: »
    VR is 'Vibration Reduction'. Similar to Canon IS and Sigma's OS, it compensates for small movements, making it less likely your images will suffer from small motion blur. Particularly useful for video (:

€40 seems worth paying for the difference in lens, warranty, and dealing with people who know what they're talking about ;)

thankx for ur advice, Tlchak, it is very clear and lound answer to me, i will go with berminhams.
    colblimp wrote: »
    Berminghams, no question. Leave Argos for the kitchen scales and the gym balls.

thanks for your advice, i think i will get it from berminhams.
    dmg1982 wrote: »
    I missed the bit above. The fact that one is VR and the other is not indicates that they're not the same lens... VR adds to the cost of a lens, making the argos offer less appealing than it already was.

it dose not seem like a good value package. i will get it from berminhams. thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

How about amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-Digital-Camera-18-55/dp/B002J9GIAQ/ref=pd_ts_zgc_ce_14335821_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=233353447&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=560834&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1K0WSB3PM1XEXK6YFN34

I got mine there. OK not as good a service as a camera shop but as good as Argos and cheaper than both with the exchange rate at the moment. Mine was delivered in 3 days.

• Advertisement

veetwin wrote: »
    How about amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-Digital-Camera-18-55/dp/B002J9GIAQ/ref=pd_ts_zgc_ce_14335821_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=233353447&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=560834&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1K0WSB3PM1XEXK6YFN34

I got mine there. OK not as good a service as a camera shop but as good as Argos and cheaper than both with the exchange rate at the moment. Mine was delivered in 3 days.

good bargain price,thank you! but got mine from shop today. 40 euro extra could save me from loadz of troubles. if there is something goes wrong, i can just simplly drop into the store. no more phone call and delivery cost and so on. and also got a free half day training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

As per the title.I am just getting into photography but cannot/am unwilling to pay too much and have limited knowledge of what is available any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I recommend a Fuji, you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. If you can find a newsed S9600 here on adverts or on eBay, you'll learn lots and not get bored. The manual zoom and the tilting LCD are extremely handy features that you wouldn't normally find on bridge cameras in that price range.

Proper review here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Hi guys im looking to pick up a point and shoot for occasions where i dont want to bring my DSLR with me, i also spend a bit of time on track so i wouldnt mind mounting my camera inside/outside of my car during track days, which leads me to my question do any point and shoot cameras currently do 60 frames per second??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Closest I can think of that shoots high speed is the GoPro? I haven't seen any of the compacts shoot above 30fps, though that's not to say there isn't one.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Closest I can think of that shoots high speed is the GoPro? I haven't seen any of the compacts shoot above 30fps, though that's not to say there isn't one.

Thanks NakedDex, i have my eye on the GoPro HD and if i dont sort something by October ill be buying the GoPro at SEMA in Vegas, i just thought if i can get a P&S that can do similar, that i would get more use out of it bar just the few motor events id do each year

Thanks mods for letting me know this was moved ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

Hi Guys,

Does any of ye know much about Samsung NX10, Canon EOS 1000D or any other dslr. I'm basically looking for a dslr camera to take mostly action shots and stills of horses, dogs, nature, landscapes etc.

Thanks in Advance.

Well... the Samsung isn't technically a DSLR. Similar, but not quite :p For the price, I'd say go for the Canon (or a Nikkon D3000 for €400 in Berminghams) as you have a much wider range of lenses to choose from in the future, lenses you can keep if you then decide to upgrade the body in a few years :) On the other hand, the Samsung I think is smaller so that may or may not be a bonus for you?

hi,guys, wanna get an entery-level digital SLR camera, and my budget is around 350 euro. i am a new guy who try to learn it as a hobby, and i have found Nikon D3000 is on promoiton at the moment in both Argos and berminghamcameras,

Argos:359.99 with one yr warranty

berminghamcamera:399 with 3 yrs warranty and free traning.

my question is which one i should go for,argos price just fit my budget,
    berminghamcamera has better service i presumed.

just felt that has been ripped off by Berminham camera shop. they told me 3 yrs warranty over the phone, and when i was in shop. the sale assistant denied anything, and told me only one year warranty, which has been extended by manufacture to two years. and also the price in here is very expensive as well. even it is on offer. it is 399 euro for Nikon D3000, and the same one is 368 in Argos, which can also get two yrs warranty from manufacture.therefore, just let people know about that, in case anyone want to buy Nikon D3000, you had better get it from Argos.

and not recommend this shop to anyone,they are professional of charging people more price. and be careful with the price they are going to charge you.

• Advertisement

just felt that has been ripped off by Berminham camera shop. they told me 3 yrs warranty over the phone, and when i was in shop. the sale assistant denied anything, and told me only one year warranty, which has been extended by manufacture to two years. and also the price in here is very expensive as well. even it is on offer. it is 399 euro for Nikon D3000, and the same one is 368 in Argos, which can also get two yrs warranty from manufacture.therefore, just let people know about that, in case anyone want to buy Nikon D3000, you had better get it from Argos.

and not recommend this shop to anyone,they are professional of charging people more price. and be careful with the price they are going to charge you.

But you get a better lens, as well as somewhere to go back to for decent advice buying from Bermingham's compared to Argos ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

good bargain price,thank you! but got mine from shop today. 40 euro extra could save me from loadz of troubles. if there is something goes wrong, i can just simplly drop into the store. no more phone call and delivery cost and so on. and also got a free half day training.

congrats on your new camera! I have bought a couple of lenses in Berminghams and always found them excellent to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Hi all,

Looking at getting myself a decent digital camera. A few of my hobbies would allow for good photographs, and I do a bit of traveling now and then.

There are a few fairly general questions that I'd like to ask (please excuse any stupidity).

I'm looking for something with good zoom, and that can take good action shots. I presume for this, I'm looking at something with a high rate of FPS?

Other than that, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what all the letters signify (I presume they are something to do with the strength of the lens?). For example, I was considering the following two cameras, but it seems odd to me that the one with the far superior zoom, MP and FPS is by far the cheaper. Obviously there's something I'm missing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-135-3-5-5-6/dp/B003N14V6W/ref=sr_1_11?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304874822&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-HS20EXR-Digital-Camera/dp/B004G8Q61E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304875620&sr=1-2-catcorr

Another question that I have is about insurance. Is there anyway to insure your camera against theft and damage? I'd be planning to use this in fairly rough terrain?

Also, can anyone recommend any good sites or books that gives good advice on photography techniques? I've seen some amazing shots where slow moving objects were blurred etc, and would like to learn how these effects are achieved.

I know there are a good few questions there, so thanks very much in advance. Appreciate any input.

All the best.

But you get a better lens, as well as somewhere to go back to for decent advice buying from Bermingham's compared to Argos ;)

same VR lens in Argos as well.

The FujuFilm is just what's called a 'bridge camera'; a compact camera on steroids. The 500D on the other hand is a DSLR will interchangeable lenses, and a significantly larger sensor with much higher image quality. The 500D is near the lower end of the DSLR range, but still miles better than the Fuji (:
    same VR lens in Argos as well.

Not according to their website which explicitly states "Lens model Nikon 18-55mm non VR zoom lens" rolleyes.gif

emrys wrote: »
    congrats on your new camera! I have bought a couple of lenses in Berminghams and always found them excellent to deal with.

well. thx, i think that was my fault as well. and wrong decesion has been made by me, Bermingham do have professional sale advisors.

The FujuFilm is just what's called a 'bridge camera'; a compact camera on steroids. The 500D on the other hand is a DSLR will interchangeable lenses, and a significantly larger sensor with much higher image quality. The 500D is near the lower end of the DSLR range, but still miles better than the Fuji (:

How would the lens in that particular kit measure up? Would it be decent enough zoom?

I'm pretty much at a loss in terms of what to look for being honest.

Not according to their website which explicitly states "Lens model Nikon 18-55mm non VR zoom lens" rolleyes.gif

yeah. the one is on website without VR, there is another one in shop with VR which cost 368, you can find this one on Argos brochures.

How would the lens in that particular kit measure up? Would it be decent enough zoom?

I'm pretty much at a loss in terms of what to look for being honest.

Here's a good review of it, that also includes some good example images of the zoom (:

As a cheap lens, it doesn't have very big aperture (low f-number). This means that in low light conditions, you would need slower shutter speed; this increases the likelihood of blurring (depending on what you're shooting). But if you're shooting daylight, or even something that's not moving too much in low light, then it is still a great lens to start with (:
    yeah. the one is on website without VR, there is another one in shop with VR which cost 368, you can find this one on Argos brochures.

€30 for knowledgeable customer service still seems good to me XD

• Advertisement

Here's a good review of it, that also includes some good example images of the zoom (:

As a cheap lens, it doesn't have very big aperture (low f-number). This means that in low light conditions, you would need slower shutter speed; this increases the likelihood of blurring (depending on what you're shooting). But if you're shooting daylight, or even something that's not moving too much in low light, then it is still a great lens to start with (:

Just reading up on aperture there now.

For the money on Amazon, 599 - is there anything better that you'd recommend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement