Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

For the money on Amazon, 599 - is there anything better that you'd recommend?

Maybe something like this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Telchak wrote: »

what's the difference here? better lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

what's the difference here? better lens?

well two lenses instead of one for starters! + the 3100 is only just released

review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Hi everyone, I don't post much in this forum. I'm just wondering:

I'm buying a 7D soon and a big feature for me on that cam is the video feature. I'm looking to buy a rig or will be looking to buy a rig to steady my camera.

I've only done a tad bit of research but the only manufacturers I seem to be able to find are Zacuto.

The rigs can be expensive and my budget aint that great. Any ideas? Any bargains or advice when looking to buy one as a first time buyer?

Cheers

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wavey1990

Hey, I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and want to buy a Fisheye Lens for it. Just wondering can anyone tell me what models or compatible with it or recomment a good, cheap one for me... Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

wavey1990 wrote: »
    Hey, I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and want to buy a Fisheye Lens for it. Just wondering can anyone tell me what models or compatible with it or recomment a good, cheap one for me... Thanks!!

AFAIK the Panasonic Lumix FZ38 is a Bridge Camera and as such does not have the facility to change lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkk1985

i'm looking to buy a good quality camera to replace my lumix tz7 which was stolen.:mad:
    it was a great camera i thought but now that i have to get a new one i'm wondering if there is something better. hd video is important to me but size is also e.g. the small the better. the lumix was brilliant for pictures but video fuctionality was limited even doe video quality was good. if i was to go down the handy cam route would i be sacrificing picture quality??? any help welcome
    thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hi all,
    im looking at upgrading from my 30d camera which I have had for almost 3 years now and was looking at continuing to use the lenses that I have for it. Should I go for the most recent in the series of 40/50/60d or get a 5dmrk2?
    im planing on shooting all aspects of photography from candid street stuff to product in studio content.
    Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

7D or a 5D MkII.

I'd skip the 50/60D and go for the 7D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

My g/f's looking for a good bridge camera for around €130 or less. She's seen a Fujifilm S1600 in Curry's for €120. Is this any good or should she look for something else? We're going away for a year and she wants to get a good camera but not a DSLR yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

shuffles03 wrote: »
    My g/f's looking for a good bridge camera for around €130 or less. She's seen a Fujifilm S1600 in Curry's for €120. Is this any good or should she look for something else? We're going away for a year and she wants to get a good camera but not a DSLR yet.

If you cam push your budget to about €180 you could get a Panasonic FZ28/35 or similar camera from
    other brands (don't know other brand models off the top of my head). Great, smallish and has loads of features- massive zoom, 'macro-ish' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Hi everyone,

I'm going travelling later this year, and I'm looking to get a new camera. I'm not really into photography (yet!), but I do enjoy taking quality pictures. I've decided against getting either an SLR or even a bridge camera for portability reasons, so I'm looking at getting a really good compact, and perhaps graduate to a better camera when I return.

Two compacts that I've been looking at are the Panasonic Lumix TZ20 and the Panasonic Lumix LX5 (comparison of specs here). From reading a lot of reviews and comparisons, it seems that the LX5 offer brilliant quality images, and while it's nowhere near an SLR, it's the closest you'll get in terms of a compact.

The TZ20 though offers a better zoom, better HD recording, but a different sensor (CMOS as opposed to the CCD in the LX5) and lesser ISO range.

Would anyone be able to advise me either way, as I really don't know much about the techie camera stuff?

As an outside thought, I was also thinking about those tough cameras (waterproof, shock proof etc), as it would be really handy to shoot stuff underwater etc. Are you generally sacrificing a lot of quality in general if you buy a 'tough' camera, or are there any really good ones on the market?

Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Canon S95. End of. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hello folks,
    I'm thinking about getting a new camera. I don't know a lot about what's out there but I want a good all-rounder I suppose. My budget would be around 300.

I'd use it mainly for still photography, interiors, exteriors etc (at least this would be the 'practical' reason for getting it :) ) I don't need something top of the range, just a good solid camera that is easy enough to learn.

I was thinking of joining an amateur photography group as well...I'd be pretty much starting at the most basic level - any tips for around the Dublin area?

Thanks!

edit: I'd also like the camera to look fairly professional, so an SLR style would be best for that I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Hiya all. :)

I'm looking to make a significant step-up in my setup.
    Currently, I'm using a FujiFilm Finepix S2800HD. Pure beginners camera, but it has served me amazingly well so far.

The "dream machine" that I ideally want is the Canon EOS550D, but it's way out of my price range, and I'm wondering what alternatives are available.

My main focuses would be live band photography, landscapes and wildlife. For this, I need to be able to switch lenses - something the Finepix can't do. Ideally, I'd like to have to option to record at least 720p-quality video, at 30fps.

Hopefully you guys can suggest something for me.

Cheers in advance,
    Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

is there any drawback's to buying a camera at the airport ? im flying out to lba today and did see that the Nikon d700 is cheapest at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

colblimp wrote: »
    Canon S95. End of. :D

Cheers, yeah I was looking at that too, it's very similar to the LX5...

My main question though is whether I'd be better off going for the better focal range/zoom of the TZ20 or the overall better image quality of the LX5/S95?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

well after scouring the internet looking for the best price for a canon 7d with 15-85mm usm lens kit, i find digital rev are best (on ebay) more expensive to buy off their website for some reason. i have no doubt they are genuine unlike 'cameract.com' stay well clear of them. just wanted to know if anyone else bought off digital rev before? them before, does the items come from japan? would there be a customs charge on imported goods coming from their tokyo/japan, wherever their warehouse is?

www.digitalrev.com

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

DigitalRev are set up in Hong Kong, but some of their ebay stuff ships from England, so it's not sure where their website stuff ships from.

As for being trustworthy, they have a youtube channel with 20million views so they're definitely not a dodgy website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Hoping to buy a 550D this evening. Any recommendations on places to buy from?

550D + 18-55mm IS Kit Lens

Simplyelectronics: €645
    DigitalRev Ebay: £589 (€675+Shipping)
    Pixmania: £585 (€675, includes shipping)

Is there anywhere else worth considering at a good price and fairly reputable? Quick search revealed mixed reviews about SimplyElectronicsc and Pixmania.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi guys.
    My son has used my Nikon D60 on several occasions and has the bug for a bit of photography.

Would this be a good starting point for him??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-1000D-18-55mm-75-300mm-2766B105AA-/150604440720?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2310b96490#ht_1750wt_932

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

vectra wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    My son has used my Nikon D60 on several occasions and has the bug for a bit of photography.

Would this be a good starting point for him??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-1000D-18-55mm-75-300mm-2766B105AA-/150604440720?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2310b96490#ht_1750wt_932

Damn fine starting point.

Only curious as to why you wouldn't go Nikon that you'd be able to share gear? (or have i just answered my own question :D)

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Damn fine starting point.

Only curious as to why you wouldn't go Nikon that you'd be able to share gear? (or have i just answered my own question :D)

D60 does not have Live View..
    Canon does as far as i am aware and he has seen a few and liked the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

vectra wrote: »
    D60 does not have Live View..
    Canon does as far as i am aware and he has seen a few and liked the idea.

Surely you should look for a nikon with live view? The ability to swap gear at a later date will definitely come in handy

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

bbbbb wrote: »

Non vr lens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

bbbbb wrote: »

Good but if i'm not mistaken no live view either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

To be fair, learning to frame shots by using a viewfinder might also be beneficial as a starting point.

Read some reviews there about the Canon 1000d.
    Some good ..some bad..
    I gues this happens with everything no matter what price.
    Some say about plastic parts
    More reviews about the 70-300 lens not being good and flimsy.

personally I think it would suit him fine as he is ultra careful with everything he has.
    As
    Ancaithdubh said

Great starting point.
    I think I will go along with that
    after all
    You know better than I ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Live view isn't really the be-all and end-all. It's nice to have but I find it far easier and more intuitive to use the viewfinder. It's not there for decoration.

To echo the question though, why not go with Nikon so you can share equipment in the future?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement