Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

NakedDex wrote: »

To echo the question though, why not go with Nikon so you can share equipment in the future?

He prefers the canon with the live view option.

His call :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

NakedDex wrote: »
    Live view isn't really the be-all and end-all. It's nice to have but I find it far easier and more intuitive to use the viewfinder. It's not there for decoration.

To echo the question though, why not go with Nikon so you can share equipment in the future?

I said similar in my earlier post, but on the flip side of that it is also a fairly important thing for any photographer nowadays to get to grips with any advances in technology.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Live View seems to be something that people used to compacts think will be important when moving to a DSLR. I have used it about 3 times in as many years and it really wasn't that useful. Then again on my G9 I use it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Found a Canon 550D+18-55mm IS for €660 delivered from the UK from Rayners-Entertainment (99.9% feedback). My question is, will any camera shops in dublin come down a bit on price. I was looking at Conns Cameras and they have the same kit for €799. I don't mind paying a little extra to get it locally so do you think they'd come down on price to something like €700? I've no experience buying cameras in dublin so not sure what the shops are like and how willing they are to haggle a bit. Has anyone got a discount from them before?

Just looking on Sam Mcaulys there and as I am going to Cork later I decided it might be just as easy to pick one up on my travels

Which would be better?
    This . >> EOS 450D

or

This . >> Nikon D3100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Found a Canon 550D+18-55mm IS for €660 delivered from the UK from Rayners-Entertainment (99.9% feedback). My question is, will any camera shops in dublin come down a bit on price. I was looking at Conns Cameras and they have the same kit for €799. I don't mind paying a little extra to get it locally so do you think they'd come down on price to something like €700? I've no experience buying cameras in dublin so not sure what the shops are like and how willing they are to haggle a bit. Has anyone got a discount from them before?

Hey mate,

i got the EOS600d (just released in Feb) and didnt get anywhere with asking them to come down a bit. didnt try conns or the other big place in Dublin.

I got my EOS600d (with 18-55mm lense) for 700euro delivered though from ebay, although it looks like he has put his prices up to 835 delivered for the exact same thing - obviously had a look around at what other people are buying it for... lucky me

My Auction
    His 600D's now

I've noticed the price on canons seems to have gone up recently! That was a great deal you got on the 600D! Pixmania were charging around 625 for the 550d last month and its now 690. Anyway I think I might have got it sorted with a private sale. Should be picking it up tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i need advice, what do you think of a brand new Canon 50D with
    Canon EF 28-135mm - f/3.5-5.6 USM IS lens, for €983. that lens alone is worth €350-€400 alone. i dont want 60d as i have no use for video recording.
    its not something id use much if at all. is this a good price, its brand new factory new.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭flyandrain

wanna get a Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens for my little D3000, and gonna use it for holiday purposes.

just wondering where i can get it with better price. Amazon sell it for 157 pounds, but it won't ship it to Ireland. Ebayers have them, but is it too risky of buying from them. pixmania sell it for nearly 300 euro. any reckons?

thx:confused:

simplyelectronics sell it for 169.95 euro with free delivery.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=12534&sd=cont

well. after a few readings. loadz of board members advise to stay away from them. so how about this shop
    http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/680331_-af-s-nikkor-55-200mm-f4-0-5-6-g-if-ed-vr-dx-nikon.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Random_Fate

Hi all,

I have a budget of €200 and I would like to buy a decent point-and-shoot camera. I've got camera-fatigue looking at all the options online and I don't know what I should choose. I'd like something that can take a good quality shot and could hold up well in low light conditions.

I know some of you think 'if it's not a DSLR, who cares which PaS you pick' but I'd really like to get value for money. I welcome your expert opinions!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi all,

I have a budget of €200 and I would like to buy a decent point-and-shoot camera. I've got camera-fatigue looking at all the options online and I don't know what I should choose. I'd like something that can take a good quality shot and could hold up well in low light conditions.

I know some of you think 'if it's not a DSLR, who cares which PaS you pick' but I'd really like to get value for money. I welcome your expert opinions!

Can you see the problem in that it is difficult to recommend a P&S if very few here actually use them?

I've heard good things about the Fuji F series in low light but that could be way out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Random_Fate

I can appreciate that most people here are using DSLRs, but this forum is my best shot to get a proper opinion on boards.ie. Since you all know a lot about what makes a camera good, I figured you could at least guide me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Cianos wrote: »
    Hello folks,
    I'm thinking about getting a new camera. I don't know a lot about what's out there but I want a good all-rounder I suppose. My budget would be around 300.

I'd use it mainly for still photography, interiors, exteriors etc (at least this would be the 'practical' reason for getting it :) ) I don't need something top of the range, just a good solid camera that is easy enough to learn.

I was thinking of joining an amateur photography group as well...I'd be pretty much starting at the most basic level - any tips for around the Dublin area?

Thanks!

edit: I'd also like the camera to look fairly professional, so a DSLR style would be best for that I guess?

Hoping to get a bit of feedback on this :)

Cianos wrote: »
    Hoping to get a bit of feedback on this :)

Ebay have some good used DSLr's

Hee is one for example which happens to be axactly what I started with and still enjoy it >>Nikon D60

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I can appreciate that most people here are using DSLRs, but this forum is my best shot to get a proper opinion on boards.ie. Since you all know a lot about what makes a camera good, I figured you could at least guide me in the right direction.

P&S cameras are a very different animal to an SLR. It's not a case of SLR users being elitist about P&S cameras, it's more akin to asking a rally driver what speedboat is the best value. Same concept machine, but very different mechanics.
    I've been looking for a decent high-end compact for myself so I wasn't risking my DSLR in a pub and was surprised how thoroughly torturous it is to find something good given the amount of consumer-jargon and unadvertised information that seems to be fixed to them.

Anyway, for your price range, the Lumix series is pretty excellent. Solid performer and easy to use. Amazon has some great deals on them. A good friend of mine recently picked up a TZ5 on Amazon for a bargain and it's a pretty well specced camera for the price.

For a P&S, the TZ10 seems well recommended and highly reviewed:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-TZ10-Digital-Camera/dp/B0031MA0ZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305788916&sr=8-2

Thats about €225 delivered. If thats too much then the TZ8 is another cheaper option

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

hello all frist post in this forum, can i buy lens that fit this minolta forgot i had it i think i have it about 7 years or more used it may be 2 or 3 times i know nada about photography..........

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

Hey gang,
    just wondering could you give me some advice on what lens to buy!

I currently have a Canon 500D with a kit lens

looking for a bit of zoom and the two options I came up with were as follows

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-200mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

and

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

thoughts boardsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

70-200 without a doubt, much better lens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

70-200 without a doubt, much better lens

I will second that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

what do you like shooting?
    what's your budget?

without real answers to those, the answers you get don't mean a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

DotOrg wrote: »
    what do you like shooting?
    what's your budget?

without real answers to those, the answers you get don't mean a whole lot

landscapes/gigs/street - a mash up of everything really!

budget is 500ish

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Hello,

Which of these would be better for shooting video?

I know the GH1 has more AF points - 23 to the D5100s 11 - how much difference does the make?

On the other hand the D5100 has 6 more megapixels.

I've seen the GH1 commended as the best dslr for video but I'm not sure if this is cause of its specs or because the review was written before the d5100 came out?

Has anyone experience of both or know what the differences are for shooting video?

I know that the stills on the GH1 aren't gonna be as good as the D5100 but could live with gthis if the video was of significantly better quality.

Any feedback / info appreciated , Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

First of all, megapixels don't matter for video, the movie modes have their own inherent resolution.

It's an incredibly complicated topic, and it hugely depends on your needs. What do you intend using it for?

The panasonic has a smaller sensor which means less narrow depth of field (which is bad for shooting cinematic stuff), but it has no mirror to flip up which means it has a really good autofocus during video shooting. The nikon has better options for frame rates, a larger sensor and more lense choices but the autofocus during video mode will not be good.

Both are good choices but there are a million different things to take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Hi folks, looking for a bit of a dig out. I'm looking to purchase a new camera as a present for my wife. Looking for something for the likes of days out with the kids, holidays, day trips and partys and the likes. Must have a decent zoom for the likes of the zoo and stuff like that.

Budget is 400euro give or take a few quid and would like to buy in a shop in Dublin rather than online, if anyone has any good recomendations of shops they like to use that would be great also, just like to use shops as to keep retailers going during these hard times.

Thanks a million guys, if i can give you any further info please let me know, Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hi folks, looking for a bit of a dig out. I'm looking to purchase a new camera as a present for my wife. Looking for something for the likes of days out with the kids, holidays, day trips and partys and the likes. Must have a decent zoom for the likes of the zoo and stuff like that.

Budget is 400euro give or take a few quid and would like to buy in a shop in Dublin rather than online, if anyone has any good recomendations of shops they like to use that would be great also, just like to use shops as to keep retailers going during these hard times.

Thanks a million guys, if i can give you any further info please let me know, Thanks.

Just head for Gunn's on Wexford Street. They will give you good advice & support. It's only small but most here agree that it's the best camera shop in Dublin, if not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Apologies if the OP has seen this before, not exactly a comparison between the two cameras but loads of info to consider in there.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/gh1.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

I'm not an experienced photographer. I'd like to take close ups of insects etc. With my cheap digital camera I just can't see what I'm pointing at, but digital is great for sharing on the puter etc. Can anyone tell me, is there a digital camera with an old fashioned bit to stick your eye in so you can see what you're taking pictures of?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone got any recomendation for an easy to use P&S compact which takes decent quality pics. Ideally this camera would have tactile buttons, a large (3.0") screen and maybe even a viewfinder (hard to find on compacts these days I know!). Theu are going to be in New York soon so I was going to send them into B&H photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

these guys are pretty decent, massive ebay sellers from UK.

http://www.digigood.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement