Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Hey,

Im just looking for a good digital camera for my parents.
    They are heading off on holiday and want to take pictures of glaciers and landscapes + other close up pics along the way i assume.

They have a canon digital camera atm and its pretty poor quality tbh.

So, is there any nice compact and simple to use ones out there you guys could recommend? Preferably not crazy expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Thekopkid

Hi all iv a nikon d50 and was wondering what's the best lens to get for sports photography have a budget of about 600 euro or am I wasting my time buying that sort of lens for this camera :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

A good start is a 70-200 2.8 lens ,should pick one up for around €600, there are a lot of sports photogs on here who will give you sound advice like pcphoto, paul walsh ,word of warning though its very addictive and gets expensive when you get really into it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

goodlad wrote: »
    Hey,

They are heading off on holiday and want to take pictures of glaciers and landscapes + other close up pics along the way i assume.

So, is there any nice compact and simple to use ones out there you guys could recommend? Preferably not crazy expensive either.

TIPA Award Winner best superzoom 2011

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS- pocketable, large zoom, easy to use. I dont' know what the widest focal length is, if they want landscapes then the wider the better. The Panasonic TZ range are very good too
    The Canon PowerShot SX230 HS features a 12.1-Megapixel HS System with high-sensitivity CMOS sensor, and a 14x optical zoom (28-392mm equivalent) with optical image stabilisation. A 3-inch LCD screen, with 100% frame coverage, makes for easy viewing and menu control. TIPA members were impressed with features such as Full HD 1080p video with Dynamic Image Stabilizer, a new GPS function (including supplied Map Utility software) and a high-sensitivity CMOS sensor coupled with Canon’s DIGIC 4 processor that reduces noise levels even at the higher ranges (up to ISO 3200).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

goodlad wrote: »

Define crazy expensive ;-)

The Canon S95 is a great compact camera. Nice wide lens for the landscapes, easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Desireandhell

Hi everyone, I'm looking to review concerts.

Can you recommend a camera that I can get pro shots to accompany reviews, without breaking the bank? Is the Fujifilm FinePix HS10 10MP a contender?

Also, I'm a published journalist but I've never published any photos - if I get a NUJ card, would it help in getting photo passes? Not sure how it works.

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

hello every one i was looking to get a 7d but at the min money is low so i found a 40d with 14,500 shutter count is this ok i have seen the camera in person its very clean everything works great only thing im thinking is 10.1 mp good im coming from a 450d

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The old question. Where is the 450D limiting you that a 40D or 7D would improve this?

10MP is more than enough for most general photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

i should have said had a 450d long story due to health reasons i got rid of all my gear but now trying to get back on my feet get out there and start taking pictures again

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EmilyD

Hey,
    I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on which of these models to choose? I'm very much an amateur photographer - I've just recently developed an interest and am eager to pursue it. I know the 550 has better video functions and is apparently superior in other functions as well but how noticeable would these differences be to an amateur? Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy my camera - is eBay a good bet or am I better buying from a regular shop? Lens wise, I've heard that the 18-55mm lens that comes with the 550 isn't very good - would anyone advise me to just buy the main body of the camera and then buys lens separately. If so, can you recommend an affordable lens or two that would be suitable - I will be mainly using the camera for portrait and landscape shots.
    Thanks in advance for any advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kev88

I have a 500D as an extra camera when I don't want to bring my pro kit with me and I LOVE it!!! its an excellent camera with great features and since the 600D came out its excellent value! my suggestion, buy 500D and with the money you saved get a 50mm f1.8 lens "Its great for the price"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

sikahunter wrote: »
    hello every one i was looking to get a 7d but at the min money is low so i found a 40d with 14,500 shutter count is this ok i have seen the camera in person its very clean everything works great only thing im thinking is 10.1 mp good im coming from a 450d

I have a 40d and thinks its a superb camera. I got it mainly for sports and have this year been spending more time doing more landscapes and find it a really good camera. I use a sigma 17-70 f2.8 with it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

Hi guys, have been on the lookout for an entry level DSLR and saw that Harvey Hormans are selling a Nikon D3000 tomorrow for 367euro.
    Can anyone tell me if this is a bargain ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Do you know which lens is on this camera ? Has it got VR Vibration Reduction

Look here
    http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4965
    Also look on www.adverts.ie photography for sale

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi everyone, I'm looking to review concerts.

Can you recommend a camera that I can get pro shots to accompany reviews, without breaking the bank? Is the Fujifilm FinePix HS10 10MP a contender?

Also, I'm a published journalist but I've never published any photos - if I get a NUJ card, would it help in getting photo passes? Not sure how it works.

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ger

A bridge camera isn't going to perform well in the low light of a concert. Certainly not as well. As an SLR with a fast prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

Its got an 18/55mm lens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

muppet01 wrote: »
    Hi guys, have been on the lookout for an entry level DSLR and saw that Harvey Hormans are selling a Nikon D3000 tomorrow for 367euro.

The price is ok. Used ones are selling for over €300. The Argos
    price is €368.99.

The camera is a good entry level DSLR. The design is a few
    years old, so it lacks some of the features of newer models.
    No video and no live-view.

Image quality is good. It uses the same 10MP image sensor
    as the other 10MP Nikon, Sony and Pentax DSLRs.

Nikon D40x D60, D80, D3000, D200 3872 x 2592
    Sony A100, A200, A230, A300, A330 3872 x 2592
    Pentax K200D, K10D, K-m 3872 x 2592
    Samsung GX-10 3872 x 2592

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

muppet01 wrote: »

It's not a bad price but amazon has it for £305.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-Digital-Camera-18-55/dp/B002J9GIAQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306603993&sr=1-2

Probably the same lens on both.

Also can get a 8gb SD card and card reader for £313 in total which is excellent value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

EmilyD wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on which of these models to choose? I'm very much an amateur photographer - I've just recently developed an interest and am eager to pursue it. I know the 550 has better video functions and is apparently superior in other functions as well but how noticeable would these differences be to an amateur? Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy my camera - is eBay a good bet or am I better buying from a regular shop? Lens wise, I've heard that the 18-55mm lens that comes with the 550 isn't very good - would anyone advise me to just buy the main body of the camera and then buys lens separately. If so, can you recommend an affordable lens or two that would be suitable - I will be mainly using the camera for portrait and landscape shots.
    Thanks in advance for any advice :)

The 550D is capable of producing great results, but these cameras are updated so often that a huge difference in image quality isn't going to be apparent. Video functions, on the other hand, being a new technology (for DSLRs) are evolving quite quickly... but you have to decide if the video function is something that's important to you.

To begin with I'd recommend a fast prime lens, such as the 50mm f/1.8 which cost roughly €125 new in local camera shops. Or a slightly wider prime lens (35 or 24mm) for landscapes, but they're likely to be a bit more expensive.

You'll learn a lot quicker with the likes of a fast 50 than any kit lens.

eBay or adverts.ie are good places to buy used as you can see the sellers feedback.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Hi all I'm using a standard 35-70 mm lens on my dslr I'm looking to buy a Nikon 55-200 mm lens is this a good lens to buy? Can anyone put up shots with this lens or it's rival 18-200mm lens?
    Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

roast wrote: »
    Hiya all. :)

I'm looking to make a significant step-up in my setup.
    Currently, I'm using a FujiFilm Finepix S2800HD. Pure beginners camera, but it has served me amazingly well so far.

The "dream machine" that I ideally want is the Canon EOS550D, but it's way out of my price range, and I'm wondering what alternatives are available.

My main focuses would be live band photography, landscapes and wildlife. For this, I need to be able to switch lenses - something the Finepix can't do. Ideally, I'd like to have to option to record at least 720p-quality video, at 30fps.

Hopefully you guys can suggest something for me.

Cheers in advance,
    Mick.

Just bumping this up, if anyone can help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'm looking to get my first DSLR,and to be honest I don't have a clue about them,im going to spend around €400,could anybody recommend something around that price,thanks.

I have seen this on donedeal and im wondering is it worth it,or would i be best to stay away from it? http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cameras/2189934

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stephenhall

hi, im looking for a Lumix gh2. I saw that in camera center in Dublin its 650 for a body and i would be buying it as a "business". I was wondering if any1 would have any ideas to how i could maybe get one for as cheap as possible or if they know of a person who is selling one second hand.:confused:

Can anyone tell me, are genuine Canon battery grips (BG-E7, for example) plastic or magnesium alloy? The generic knock-offs i buy are plastic, but unsure about the genuine ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of selling my 400D and my Canon HV20 to buy a HDSLR for both photos and video. The 600D looks like the best job for me. I've looked around a bit and Amazon so far is my best option ( about €785 posted) with 18-55mm lens, but is there anywhere else I should be looking into buying from? I would prefer to buy from a shop, but my budget is about €800 and I dont think I can get one for that price from a shop.

Also at the minute the only lens I have other than the 18-55mm lens on my 400D is the 50mm 1.8. I am selling the kit lens with the 400D so I will be left with the 50mm for my new 600D. But from Amazon I can get the 600D body only for about €675. So should I just get the body only and use the extra money to buy another, better lens?

You'll probably get as much for the 400D without the kit lens so maybe hang onto it for now. I assume it's the older non-IS version?

Camera prices might be high and stock may still be low with the situation in Japan.
    Give Ian 'Kerso' Kerr a shout. He's usually one of the best for price. Have a read back through this thread for info on him.

Can anyone tell me, are genuine Canon battery grips (BG-E7, for example) plastic or magnesium alloy? The generic knock-offs i buy are plastic, but unsure about the genuine ones.

I would imagine it's plastic. My old BG-E3 certainly is.

scratch that, google says it's magnesium.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

Hi all, I am looking for a bit of advise.

I want to buy an SLR camera, would really like to get into photography, and up to now have only had point & shoot cameras.

A friend of mine has a canon 40d and looking at some photos she took with a Canon Lens EF 50mm 1:1.4, the photos are gorgeous, and would like to get something similar. Ideally I would like image stabalisation & a video option too.
    I will be buying in the US so my budget would be about $1,000 but can stretch this a little, ideally I would like to get a second lens with this price too.

I will for now only be taking photos of family & holidays etc, but plan to do a beginners photography course & build on that.

Any advise for me is greatly appreciated. I hope I have given you enough information.

Kind regards
    CE

Why do you want IS? You only need it on long lenses really and then only if you're using slow shutter speeds.

I'd get something like a Canon 600D (~$800) with the 50mm f/1.8. The 1.4 model is better built but the 1.8 is much cheaper and is an excellent lens.

Obviously this leaves you with just one focal length but you can pick up a cheap kit lens or add new lenses as you get used to the gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey Just got my first camera, a Cannon eos 1000d the other day. Looking for a carrier case, at the moment only have the one stock lens, but probably getting another soon. Can anyone recommend a good cheap carrier case that could hold two lenses?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement