Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

shoutman wrote: »
    Hey Just got my first camera, a Cannon eos 1000d the other day. Looking for a carrier case, at the moment only have the one stock lens, but probably getting another soon. Can anyone recommend a good cheap carrier case that could hold two lenses?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm going to buy one of them during the week,can I ask where you bought you're one?,the cheapest I have seen is in PC world for €399.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm going to buy one of them during the week,can I ask where you bought you're one?,the cheapest I have seen is in PC world for €399.

Bought mine second hand for €320 of a friend.

Best 2nd hand I could find was €350, so €399 looks like a decent price.

As I said it's my first camera, but seems quite easy to use, and already have some decent pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Bought a D40 a couple of years ago, now thinking of selling it with kit 18-55mm, lowepro tlz mini case, digital field guide, charger, shutter remote, box/manuals and a 4gb SD card for 200-250. I'd then be upgrading to a d3100 for €420ish with kit 18-55mm lens.

Is that a fair price to sell the old camera for? It and the lens are both in good condition, ~5000 shots taken and a lens filter on at all times. Also, is the difference in image quality worth the 200ish price difference? The video capabilities would be nice, as I'd be buying it in the airport on the way to a 6 week holiday in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

TPD wrote: »
    Also, is the difference in image quality worth the 200ish price difference?

Kind of over-simplifies, but I find this website helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first digital SLR camera. So for I have looked at the Nikon D3100 and D5000. I prefer the D3100 and was looking to compare it with its opposite number in the Canon range.

I am having difficulty finding out which Canon it is meant to directly compete against. Some websites say the Rebel T1i/T2i/T3i while others mention the 550D/600D.

Can anyone tell me which Canon most closely matches the features of the Nikon D3100 so that I can then begin to compare price.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

coL wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first digital SLR camera. So for I have looked at the Nikon D3100 and D5000. I prefer the D3100 and was looking to compare it with its opposite number in the Canon range.

I am having difficulty finding out which Canon it is meant to directly compete against. Some websites say the Rebel T1i/T2i/T3i while others mention the 550D/600D.

Can anyone tell me which Canon most closely matches the features of the Nikon D3100 so that I can then begin to compare price.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Canon consumer DSLRs are sold as xxxxD and xxxD in Europe,
    Canon Rebel in America and Kiss x in Asia. If you are buying on-line,
    you should be aware that Canon's warranty is localised to the region
    you buy it in. If you buy a Rebel, you won't get warranty support from
    Canon Europe.

As stocks of the Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000 dry up, the
    bottom of the two ranges is the Canon 1100D and Nikon D3100.
    Mid range is Canon 600D and Nikon 5100. The upper end of the
    consumer range is harder to define. I would say Canon 60D
    and Nikon D7000.

Thanks for the prompt response, the Canon numbering makes a bit more sense now.

One question arising from your post is what model rebel Canon would be comparable to the 1100D, would it be the T1i or the T2i?

Thanks for the prompt response, the Canon numbering makes a bit more sense now.

One question arising from your post is what model rebel Canon would be comparable to the 1100D, would it be the T1i or the T2i?

The US model names for the 1100D and 600D have caused a fair bit of
    confusion.

600D = T3i
    1100D = T3

The 500D is the T1i and the 550D is the T2i.

Are they making it delibrately confusing on purpose!!!!

One last question, from my reading of it the 1100D appears to be the most basic model and the 550D the (slightly) more advanced model. Is this correct?

If memory serves me correctly where I am thinking of buying is offering a 550D (T2i) for a good bit less than a D3100. Does this sound right and if so would it be a good deal?

Again thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey Just got my first camera, a Cannon eos 1000d the other day. Looking for a carrier case, at the moment only have the one stock lens, but probably getting another soon. Can anyone recommend a good cheap carrier case that could hold two lenses?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Are they making it delibrately confusing on purpose!!!!

Possibly. They have done it before with the XT and XTi
    One last question, from my reading of it the 1100D appears to be the most basic model and the 550D the (slightly) more advanced model. Is this correct?

That is correct. Although the 1100D is a newer model than the 550D,
    the 550D sits above it in the Canon range.
    If memory serves me correctly where I am thinking of buying is offering a 550D (T2i) for a good bit less than a D3100. Does this sound right and if so would it be a good deal?

Again thanks for all the help.

The 550D is very good value at the moment. Since the 600D was
    announced, 550D prices have been falling. I don't want to get into the
    Canon vs Nikon thing. That has already been done to death on this
    and other forums. I would say the 550D is a better and more advanced
    camera than the D3100. If you want to make comparisons with the Nikon
    range, the 550D or 600D could be compared to the Nikon D5100.

Just in case I sound like a raving Canon advocate. The Nikon D5000 is
    also good value at the moment because it was recently replaced by the
    D5100. The Pentax K-x is also going for very reasonable prices since
    the introduction of the K-r. Choices choices......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

Hi Rowan H!

I've just enetered the Digital Photography age ( http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Overview/LUMIX+G+Micro+System+Cameras/4855154/index.html
    ).
    I think the Nikon combination you set out is good, and in fact we're all spoilt for choice these days. As you know, it's all about budget and what you want to do with your camera. I bought the Lumix G3, thinking that it was probably a bit too expensive for what i wanted to do with it... but i found that my use and horizons expanded as i got to know its many features, and i'm now glad I didn't go for something cheaper or with less features. For what I use it for now, it represents good value, I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's worth noting that a standard prime on a DX sensor format (such as the D60) would be a 28mm lens; 50mm on a 35mm film body or FF DSLR is actually a short telephoto lens.

going to buy one of these cameras.

the nikon is 417 and the canon 630, both with 18-55mm lens.

My main uses will be still pictures, with some video. I know that the canon is better for video and has the pop-out screen but is it worth an extra 200? both seem to take pretty good photos....?

any pointers - cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

You're getting a great deals on these, sure you have them prices right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Anyone?

Only thing I would say is dont get a cheap bag. You have a grand camera and lens and as you say you might add another lens. Lowepro do decent bags and some have built in rain covers. €40 - €50 will get you a decent if basic bag with pockets for a few bits and pieces.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Telchak wrote: »
    You're getting a great deals on these, sure you have them prices right? :p

The nikon is €417 in the airport,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Heya guys, I'd appreciate some advice here. I'm about to go out and buy a Canon 600D - I'm fairly sure this is the right body for me - but I'm still pretty confused on what lens to get:

Right now I'm thinking I'll stick with the 18-135mm kit lens - although I was thinking about the 18-200mm as I used one before (sigma) and loved it. The range is fantastic and I got some fantastic shots using it for just a few days.

However, in reading about lenses etc, a lot of people seems to thnik these superzooms are rubbish, and only prime or L lenses are worth buying. Basically, I just want one lens which is a good all rounder for now. In time I may buy others like the 50mm etc but for my first everyday lens, are there others I should be looking at within my budget of up to €400 that are good all rounders?

All advice appreciated
    Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Don't want to be pimping my own ad but I'm going to pimp my own ad plus all the other ones on adverts.

This 70-200 is a super lens - it's an L lens so you'll not get any better.

http://www.adverts.ie/642936

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks I would love this, but I need something that starts from the 18-24 kinda range, starting at 50mm means you are screwed for any wide shots. I'll put this on my shopping list for the future though!

Jimdagym wrote: »
    The nikon is €417 in the airport,

and that's where the 600d is available for 630 too....
    so any advice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A lot will disagree with me bit if it's just a hobby and you don't pixel pick why not get the 18-250 or 18-270 (or is it 280)?
    Great for an all rounder, mightn't be as quick or as sharp as others but it'll do the job.

Zascar wrote: »

Right now I'm thinking I'll stick with the 18-135mm kit lens - although I was thinking about the 18-200mm as I used one before (sigma) and loved it. The range is fantastic and I got some fantastic shots using it for just a few days.

The 18-135mm is a good general purpose lens. Optical quality is
    about the same as the the 18-55mm IS. The extra reach is useful.
    Unlike the 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses, the front of the
    18-135mm doesn't rotate during focusing. This is a big advantage
    if you use a polariser or graduated ND filter.

The 18-200mm is quite a bit more expensive and it doesn't
    offer any improvement in image quality over the 18-135mm.
    If you want a long superzoom, the Tamron 18-270mm is a
    better choice.
    However, in reading about lenses etc, a lot of people seems to thnik these superzooms are rubbish, and only prime or L lenses are worth buying.

If you subscribe to that way of thinking, you should scrap the plan to buy
    a 600D. Get a 7D or a 5D II and a brace of L lenses. The new 200MP
    Hasselblad looks nice too.

Of course high quality prime lenses are superior to mid range
    zoom lenses. Superzooms make compromises that often lead to problems,
    usually at the extreme ends of the zoom range. They usually have more
    distortion and CA than prime lenses. In most cases, superzooms are
    slower (smaller aperture) than primes and get progressively slower as
    focal length is increased.
    Basically, I just want one lens which is a good all rounder for now. In time I may buy others like the 50mm etc but for my first everyday lens, are there others I should be looking at within my budget of up to €400 that are good all rounders?

All advice appreciated
    Thanks.

If you get a good deal on the Canon 18-135mm with the camera. It would
    be a good all rounder. I wouldn't pay full retail (€250-300) for the 18-135mm.
    I paid €200 for mine. It was in as new condition because it was removed
    from a 7D + 18-135mm bundle.

The Tamron 18-270mm is probably the best of the superzooms. My
    brother has the older version. Hundreds of shots here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43372015@N02/

The Sigma 18-250mm OS is also quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Alako

Hello!

I need to get myself a decent camera, am looking to spend no more than €300-€350. I don't know anything about cameras really, so don't really know the questions to ask when going into a camera shop.

I need to take photos at a close up level as well as far away. A friend of mine showed me his PEN E-PL1 camera a few months ago and I thought the pictures it took were absolutely gorgeous - I was only looking at them through the back LCD display mind. No flash on it but even in a dim light pictures still came out very well. The design of the camera is very cool as well. The price of the camera is right down on Pixmania as the moment - €349 instead of €599.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4856539/art/olympus/pen-e-pl1-champagne-m-zui.html

Would people recommend to buy this camera? It has been out for a while... I have been hearing good things about Lumix cameras? I want to get stuck into photography this summer and am not a technophobe so I don't mind something with a big thick manual.

Thanks!

Alako wrote: »
    Hello!

I need to take photos at a close up level as well as far away. A friend of mine showed me his PEN E-PL1 camera a few months ago and I thought the pictures it took were absolutely gorgeous

The E-PL1 is a nice camera. It will certainly produce better image
    quality than a P&S or superzoom camera, especially in low light.

The price of the camera is right down on Pixmania as the moment - €349 instead of €599.

Don't be too impressed by Pixmania's claimed price reduction. Argos have it on offer
    at the moment for €344.99. Even before the offer, the price was €489.99.

Would people recommend to buy this camera? It has been out for a while... I have been hearing good things about Lumix cameras? I want to get stuck into photography this summer and am not a technophobe so I don't mind something with a big thick manual

The only thing that would put me off is the lack of a viewfinder. You can
    buy one as an optional extra, but the combined price of camera and VF
    puts you in the DSLR price range.

If you are happy to frame your shots using the LCD screen, the
    E-PL1 is one of the best cameras in this price range.

Have you seen the Steve's Digicams review? The indoor and outdoor
    sample images are very impressive.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/e-pl1/olympus-e-pl1-review.html

hbr wrote: »
    The 18-135mm is a good general purpose lens. Optical quality is
    about the same as the the 18-55mm IS. The extra reach is useful.
    Unlike the 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses, the front of the
    18-135mm doesn't rotate during focusing. This is a big advantage
    if you use a polariser or graduated ND filter.

The 18-200mm is quite a bit more expensive and it doesn't
    offer any improvement in image quality over the 18-135mm.
    If you want a long superzoom, the Tamron 18-270mm is a
    better choice.

If you subscribe to that way of thinking, you should scrap the plan to buy
    a 600D. Get a 7D or a 5D II and a brace of L lenses. The new 200MP
    Hasselblad looks nice too.

Of course high quality prime lenses are superior to mid range
    zoom lenses. Superzooms make compromises that often lead to problems,
    usually at the extreme ends of the zoom range. They usually have more
    distortion and CA than prime lenses. In most cases, superzooms are
    slower (smaller aperture) than primes and get progressively slower as
    focal length is increased.

If you get a good deal on the Canon 18-135mm with the camera. It would
    be a good all rounder. I wouldn't pay full retail (€250-300) for the 18-135mm.
    I paid €200 for mine. It was in as new condition because it was removed
    from a 7D + 18-135mm bundle.

The Tamron 18-270mm is probably the best of the superzooms. My
    brother has the older version. Hundreds of shots here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43372015@N02/

The Sigma 18-250mm OS is also quite good.

Thanks HBR that's really helpful, much appreciated. I have heard good things about the Tameron. Do you know if the front of the lens rotates on it?

Thanks HBR that's really helpful, much appreciated. I have heard good things about the Tameron. Do you know if the front of the lens rotates on it?

I should know because I have used one. TBH I can't remember.

According to on-line reviews, both versions, the original and
    the new PZD do not rotate during focusing.

Thanks. So with the added range of the Tameron, with good quality optics, is there any reason I should go for any of the others bar price?

• Advertisement

Thanks. So with the added range of the Tameron, with good quality optics, is there any reason I should go for any of the others bar price?

If you are really sure you want a superzoom, the Tamron is best-in-class.
    As a walk-around lens for use in good light, they are very good.

These are fairly expensive lenses. I wouldn't just buy one on impulse.
    Superzoom lenses are very slow, particularly at the long end. This
    makes them poor in low light or for fast action and almost useless
    indoors unless you use flash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement