Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks. That makes sense. So if I don't go for a superzoom and I stick to something with a shorter range, what should I be looking at? The Canon EFS-17-85mm maybe? Its a fair bit more expensive, for a fairly small zoom range. Is the image quality that much better on that lens? What others are worth considering? I'd almost be tempted to just go for the Canon 24-105mm L lens but at nearly €800 that is a massive jump up. Anything in between that I should be looking at?

Cheers for the advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Alako

hbr wrote: »
    The E-PL1 is a nice camera. It will certainly produce better image
    quality than a P&S or superzoom camera, especially in low light.

Don't be too impressed by Pixmania's claimed price reduction. Argos have it on offer
    at the moment for €344.99. Even before the offer, the price was €489.99.

The only thing that would put me off is the lack of a viewfinder. You can
    buy one as an optional extra, but the combined price of camera and VF
    puts you in the DSLR price range.

If you are happy to frame your shots using the LCD screen, the
    E-PL1 is one of the best cameras in this price range.

Have you seen the Steve's Digicams review? The indoor and outdoor
    sample images are very impressive.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/e-pl1/olympus-e-pl1-review.html

Huh... I never bothered looking at other sites for camera prices as people always go on about how good Pixmania are for prices... they obviously just start at a much higher price so the can slap a "41% off!" sticker on it. Thanks for that!

That review is pretty in depth, a lot of it makes my eyes go blurry but it seems to be fairly positive. Great pics, although my subject matter would probably be a lot different!

I wouldn't have a problem with no VF, I'm used to it with my current (terrible) camera.

Hoping to get this camera I think. I wish camera stores had live working cameras that you could play around with before buying, it's a bit scary buying something you've never used before.. granted I have used this Olympus and loved it but I'd like to play around with a couple more.

Thanks for the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Nodferatu wrote: »
    these guys are pretty decent, massive ebay sellers from UK.
    http://www.digigood.com/

Anyone ever buy a DSLR camera from that UK Ebay seller?
    The prices are good and Digigood have a very good rating on eBay.

I'd probably feel better ordering from Amazon, though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys just a quick one. I find this site fantastic: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ - shows all the prices of most of the popular equipment being sold throughout the usual stores. Really handy for finding the best price. However, someone else recommended me: http://www.simplyelectronics.net and at least for what I'm after their prices seem even better!

Oh and re my previous questions, I've done nothing but read reviews on all the lenses and decided fek it I'm going to just go all out and get the Canon 24-105mm "L" f4 :D

Very excited now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I would be careful about buying from simplyelectronics - alot of bad reviews from on here. (few good ones too though)

I found the camera i just bought there a good 200euro cheaper than anywhere else, but decided not to use them because of other peoples problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys just a quick one. I find this site fantastic: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ - shows all the prices of most of the popular equipment being sold throughout the usual stores. Really handy for finding the best price. However, someone else recommended me: http://www.simplyelectronics.net and at least for what I'm after their prices seem even better!

Oh and re my previous questions, I've done nothing but read reviews on all the lenses and decided fek it I'm going to just go all out and get the Canon 24-105mm "L" f4 :D

Very excited now! :D

I've heard way more bad than good about Simply Electronics.

You should give Ian Kerr a shout. His ebay username is Kerso.
    You can buy directly from him avoiding ebay fees and save some cash. Lots here use him and regard him highly.

I've bought my 24-70L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS and 580EX II from him and I cannot fault him.

Thanks a mil. I'll give him a shout and see if he has a 600D body. I'll try to get a 24-105 second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

I bought a Nikon D3100 a few months back. It came with a kit lens. All the pro photographer friends all have said if you upgrade the lens it will make a massive difference to photo quality and colour etc.

The thing is I'm confused in what to get. They are all Canon users so they are of no help with the terms etc.... All I know is I must get a AF-s lens so it'll be compatible with the auto focus. I dont want to go out and buy a lens and find out that its not much better than the one I have. Any ideas? Even a Sigma or Tamron tips would do?

I was thinking of getting something from the 20mm to 200mm range to cover most of my uses. In general I take landscape or landscape with people in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I don't have it myself but I reckon you should get the 35mm f/1.8.

Take a few photos at f/2-f/2.5 with the occasional one at f/1.8 and you'll fall in love I'm sure.

It's relatively small and light and should be sharp. It will be good for low light too. Shouln't be too expensive either (for a lens) at around €200 or just under.

Here's a review from the great Thom Hogan:

http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor-35mm-DX-AFS-lensreview.htm

You don't need a zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Before you buy another lens ask your photographer friends to let you try their lens to see what difference you get and also it will help you decide which focal length will suit your needs best. Try before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 GavJudge

Evening everyone!

I'm just looking to get some advice from the wise heads here on getting a good mid-range SLR for some sports photography.

I've finally decided to trump for a good SLR and I have between 1 and 1.5k to upgrade from my digital bridge. I mainly shoot (in my spare time!) cycling events, hurling and football matches for friends but I also enjoy day to day life photography too!

I know many people in this range of photography usually have their allegiances to either Canon or Nikon but I'm open to either really and would value any advice or recommendations people might have to add!

Thanks in advance for your help folks!

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Go with whatever camera in your budget delivers the best high ISO Noise performance, you'll need that for sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Before you buy another lens ask your photographer friends to let you try their lens to see what difference you get and also it will help you decide which focal length will suit your needs best. Try before you buy.

I don't think he could do that as they are all Canon users

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Fast glass is important too. Set aside part of your budget for a good, fast lens. Both Nikon and Canon have 70-200 f2.8 lenses that are out of that price range on their own, but Sigma do their own version for a price more within your budget range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

What is your budget?

Would you buy 2nd hand on ebay -or do you want to buy ' local/new?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mellowmeg

im going interrailing this summer and i cant wait to record everything.i have an expensive DSLR but i really dont want to bring it due to its weight and have to worry about it being stolen. im looking for a really great compact and i might use some of the pictures for my portfolio.i will spend max 200euro. anyone any ideas what on offer? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

You could pick up a secondhand Canon G-series camera?

For a little bit more than your budget you could get a G11 on Ebay

or a G10 for will possibly within your budget. G10's at ebay (no buy-it-now's)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

What would be a good fisheye or alternative for a fairly low price..
    I really only want it for experimenting before I decide if i should shell out on a proper one..
    Thanks,
    Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

If I was you I'd double the budget and get a micro 4/3s camera.

May be completely unfeasible for you of course. But if you're used to a DSLR wouldn't a compact be frustrating? I haven't used a G series Canon or the like, but compacts are annoying in my experience.

What SLR do you have? An alternative could be an second hand entry level model. I picked up a D5000+18-55mm recently for under €300 and it's very light compared to me D200 or even the D50.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Old film SLR's are very cheap nowadays... any of the Olympus OM series are decent cameras and a lot smaller than modern ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

I'd recommend a Canon S90 or S95 if you could stretch the budget a bit. The canon G series are great but not nearly as compact as the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GavJudge

Thanks for all your advice folks, I'm hovering over the idea of getting a Nikon D7000, possibly new, possibly second hand if I can find one in good nick! Is there anyone out there with experience using this SLR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

What are the current "entry-level" dslr cameras from the big manufacturers? I've pretty much come to the limit of what my (admittedly decent) point and shoot can do so want to do a bit of research into getting a dslr.

Canon have their new 1100D and 600D out. The xxxD series was the entry level until it's specs creeped up to xxD levels and the xxxxD was introduced.

At the moment there are good deals to be had on the excellent 550D or even the 500D
    Nikon also have new bodies like the D3100 but I'm not too familiar with them.

But with an SLR the important thing is the glass you use. Spend your money on good optics and don't worry too much about the camera as long as you like it's ergonomics.
    Most moderns SLRs at similar price points perform equally well.

Actually I was wondering that myself... I'm about to buy a 600d, but I could save a lot of money by just going for a used 500d or 550d. I was just thinking that with the speed of which the body's get updated these days it would be better to get the latest one to try to future proof myself as much as I can. Plus it would be nice to do some good video witht eh flip out screen. I'm already stretching to some really good glass, 24-105mm f4 - but I dunno it is worth spending the extra to get the 600d do you guys think? The 7D is a bit much for me at the moment I think

AFAIK the only real difference between the 550D and the 600D is the flip out screen and perhaps some better video options. You can still get the 550D new.

After looking at some of the slow motion video examples on youtube I'm going to stick with the 600d - very impressive

Anyone know when the next version of this camera is out? I'd hate to buy now and have it replaced in a few weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Zascar wrote: »
    After looking at some of the slow motion video examples on youtube I'm going to stick with the 600d - very impressive

It is a nice camera. In addition to the flip-out screen, the 600D also has
    wireless flash control.

The 550D, 600D, 60D and 7D all use the same 18MP image sensor.
    All other things being equal, they will produce identical image quality.
    The high end models have faster autofocus and faster burst speed.
    They have bigger/brighter/clearer viewfinders and are arguably better
    built than the basic models.
    Anyone know when the next version of this camera is out? I'd hate to buy now and have it replaced in a few weeks...

It is only four months since the 600D was announced. I don't think
    a replacement will be announced before next year.
    500D 2009, 550D 2010, 600D 2011. Maybe we will see the 650D next year?

• Advertisement

Cool thanks.

Here is a great site I found for comparing camera models: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement