Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Great site, it also pulls the 600d vs other similar priced ones.

http://snapsort.com/cameras/Canon-600d-competitors

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I just bought a 600D and so far I'm very impressed with it.
    Menu's are easy to navigate and very similar to Nikon's as well.
    I'd say within an hour or two of fooling around with it I had a good handle on most of the features.
    Auto mode is very good, very usable, pics are sharp, it's basically a point and shoot camera with this mode.

I'd agree though, very little difference between the 600d and the 550d, and about ~€110 in the difference in price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys quick question. Anyone know anything about Teleconverters? You can get these adaptors that give you either more zoom, or turn it into a superwide / fisheye lens - and they are pretty cheap. Worth buying? In a photography tutorial dvd I was watching the guy recommended them for getting more zoom at a tiny fraction of the price of a new lens. Basically I'm going for the Canon 24-105mm f4 - but on a crop sensor 24mm is not very wide. I saw a .45 and .25 converters which seem like it would be a good idea, although i have only seen them for the 18-55 lens. I might buy the 600d with the kit lens so I can get one of these for wide angle / fisheye shots. Can I get one for the 24-105 though? Would a 2x be any good to increase the zoom?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Teleconverters increase your magnification on telephoto lenses. So with a 2x converter you 200mm f4 lens becomes a 400mm f8. As you can see you loose a lot of light and also sharpness due to the extra glass in the light path.

I've never heard of them being used for making a lens wider. You go get those rubbish things you stick onto the front of a lens tho. They wouldn't be called teleconverters tho.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry the wide angle one is actually an adaptor that goes on the end of an existing lens: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-0-45X-Professional-Angle-Definition/dp/B0025Z7MAE

Obviously its very cheap so is far from high quality with a number of noted issues but can be corrected as mentioned here: http://camcordersguide.starblog.com/2010/06/11/review-wide-angle-macro-converter-lens-for-canon-eos-18-55mm-and-olympus-evolt-14-42mm/ - but also could just be a bit of fun for some crazy shots etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Quick query guys.
    The OH has a Nikon 3100 Digital SLR and is looking to get a zoom lens for it.
    Max budget is €500. Bermingham’s have a Nikon 70-300mm for €500(http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=2122).
    Has anyone any experience of this lens or are there other models for around this price range that should be considered?
    Any advice appreciated.

Zascar wrote: »
    Sorry the wide angle one is actually an adaptor that goes on the end of an existing lens: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-0-45X-Professional-Angle-Definition/dp/B0025Z7MAE

Obviously its very cheap so is far from high quality with a number of noted issues but can be corrected as mentioned here: http://camcordersguide.starblog.com/2010/06/11/review-wide-angle-macro-converter-lens-for-canon-eos-18-55mm-and-olympus-evolt-14-42mm/ - but also could just be a bit of fun for some crazy shots etc

Sure, but I would get one of these instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Quick query guys.
    The OH has a Nikon 3100 Digital SLR and is looking to get a zoom lens for it.
    Max budget is €500. Bermingham’s have a Nikon 70-300mm for €500(http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=2122).
    Has anyone any experience of this lens or are there other models for around this price range that should be considered?
    Any advice appreciated.

Save yourself a lot of money and keep an eye on this one ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-VR-Nikkor-70-300mm-f4-5-5-6G-IF-ED-lens-/260800228346?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3cb8e7abfa#ht_766wt_932

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublin_Bud

Firstly I'd like to apologise if this is in the wrong section - if it is could the mods shift it to the correct place?? cheers!!

I'm looking at getting an entry level DSLR and am basically looking for advice and recommendations on what to look out for and what to get. My budget is about €400.

I've looked at the Canon EOS 1000D but would like some other recommendations.

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I'd suggest you look at the second hand market - if you have decided on Canon a 20D, 30D or 40D in good condition can be had for less than 400, add a 50mm f1.8 lens for about 60 and you would have a very capable camera to start out with.

Keep an eye on the photography section on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dublin_Bud wrote: »
    Firstly I'd like to apologise if this is in the wrong section - if it is could the mods shift it to the correct place?? cheers!!

I'm looking at getting an entry level DSLR and am basically looking for advice and recommendations on what to look out for and what to get. My budget is about €400.

I've looked at the Canon EOS 1000D but would like some other recommendations.

Thanks in advance!!

Nikon D3100. I just bought one and it being my first DSLR have the following query....any recommendations on a lense to zoom in a bit more, not up to speed on this stuff so any user friendly feedback welcomed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BodyofaBuddah

Hi all,

I want to buy my husband a new camera. He currently has a Finepix S9600 but he's been talking about trading up for a while and with Father's day coming up this weekend it might be the perfect gift!

I've spent the day looking up different cameras but I don't know enough about them to even know what I should be comparing so I'm hoping someone here can help me out! What would be a good next step from this one. The one feature on the S9600 that he really loves is the tilt screen and has said before that he would never go back to a camera that didn't have this feaure so that's my only absolute must have!

Hope someone can help me out! Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Hi all,

I want to buy my husband a new camera. He currently has a Finepix S9600 but he's been talking about trading up for a while and with Father's day coming up this weekend it might be the perfect gift!

I've spent the day looking up different cameras but I don't know enough about them to even know what I should be comparing so I'm hoping someone here can help me out! What would be a good next step from this one. The one feature on the S9600 that he really loves is the tilt screen and has said before that he would never go back to a camera that didn't have this feaure so that's my only absolute must have!

Hope someone can help me out! Thanks in advance.

The Nikon D5100 has a tilt screen?
    Im no pro and know very little, but theres an option!

So I've just bought a 600D and a Canon 24-105 lens. I need a case. I may get some more stuff late but right now I want something small and compact. Thing is I know a lot of them are not big enough for this camera and lens.

I used to have a LowePro Slingshot 100 AW - might get another but are there any others that are smaller but also easy to carry? I like the single wraparounwd 'sling'.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

Hi All,

I have a 450d and I am in the market for a camcorder with a budget of about EUR350, half thinking for the same net cost that I could sell the 450D and upgrading to a 550D instead of getting the camcorder. Is this a mad idea, should I save some more and get a 600D instead? Other than video is there much different between a 450D and 550D

Hi, I'm looking to get a dslr soon. I'm using an old nikon coolpix at the moment and want to to upgrade. My budget isn't massive and I don't need the fanciest camera! I'm looking thinking of getting either a Canon 1100d or a Nikon D3100.
    Just looking at prices on Amazon for example and the Nikon seems to offer more features for the money. I will be mostly shooting landscapes. So any opinions on which to for?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

dell1211 wrote: »
    I have a 450d and I am in the market for a camcorder with a budget of about EUR350, half thinking for the same net cost that I could sell the 450D and upgrading to a 550D instead of getting the camcorder. Is this a mad idea

It might be a mad idea, depending on the type of video footage you want to capture. A video capable SLR (HDSLR) does not do the same job as a camcorder... they are worlds apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Anybody here ever had any experience with simplyelectronics.net?

This is a very good deal: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=13214&setcurrency=eur

I have just bought that exact deal. Ordered it on Tuesday and it is curretnly at order status "Packing" - they said I will have it early next week. Do a search, they don't have the best reputation. Some people have had awful experiences. However, many more have had great experiences so you just have to pray you are not unlucky. Theur prices are amazing. That camera is over €100 cheaper than anyone else, over €200 cheaper than irish high street shops. Hard to ignore that difference. I was not in a rush so i took the risk and fingers crossed I'll get my camera next week. I called them before and spoke to someone in sales to confirm it was in stock. Always do this as I think the problems arise when they are out of stock etc. I think that basically they are like many companies like Ryaniar & NTL etc - if everything goes ok you get a good deal, its when there is a problem that they are a bit of a nightmare to deal with. That's the tradeoff you make for the lowest possible price.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

I have just bought that exact deal. Ordered it on Tuesday and it is curretnly at order status "Packing" - they said I will have it early next week. Do a search, they don't have the best reputation. Some people have had awful experiences. However, many more have had great experiences so you just have to pray you are not unlucky. Theur prices are amazing. That camera is over €100 cheaper than anyone else, over €200 cheaper than irish high street shops. Hard to ignore that difference. I was not in a rush so i took the risk and fingers crossed I'll get my camera next week. I called them before and spoke to someone in sales to confirm it was in stock. Always do this as I think the problems arise when they are out of stock etc. I think that basically they are like many companies like Ryaniar & NTL etc - if everything goes ok you get a good deal, its when there is a problem that they are a bit of a nightmare to deal with. That's the tradeoff you make for the lowest possible price.

I'm still a bit iffy to be honest. If you had already received the camera then I would have no hesitations, but I dunno. I might wait and see if you get yours ok! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Hi all,

Looking for some honest frank advice.

I'm not big into photography, just like to take shots on holiday, etc.

I've a Canon EOS1000D with stock 55mm lens.

As soon to travel to SUoth Africa on safari, I want to get zoom lens or equivalent that is suitable for trip.

My options are to get a lens for camera, or possibly to get a camcorder with a long optical zoom.

I am thinking that the camcorder may be a good purchase, as could be used for other things also, however unsure how good / suitable a camcorder is for such trip and photography / videos.

I also want to get camcorder as may have high speed function for golf swing analysis, as I know it's available on some cameras, so presumably also available on camcorders also.

Apologies if this is wrong forum, however if correct forum, can anyone who is familiar with the latest technology can offer any practical buying advice based on above.

Cheers

roguey wrote: »
    Anybody here ever had any experience with simplyelectronics.net?

This is a very good deal: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=13214&setcurrency=eur

that's pretty much the same price for the 600d + 18-55mm as in Dixons at dublin airport. if you're travelling soon could be another way to get it. (you pick up on your return if that suits better).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

I believe that simply electronics ship from Hong Kong so be prepared to pay 21% VAT extra

Don't think that's true. I just got a dispatch notification saying to expect my package in 1 working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

So I've just bought a 600D and a Canon 24-105 lens. I need a case. I may get some more stuff late but right now I want something small and compact. Thing is I know a lot of them are not big enough for this camera and lens.

I used to have a LowePro Slingshot 100 AW - might get another but are there any others that are smaller but also easy to carry? I like the single wraparounwd 'sling'.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

In terms of cases, I've just outgrown my generic bag (the ones that are like a laptop bag that hang over one shoulder) it held one lense and the body with lense attached. However, with the addition of a 70 - 200mm F4 L, there is simply no way my gear will fit.

Based on this, I did a bit of research and read up on the slingshot style of bag, did a few comparisons between ebay specials, Tamrac and the Lowepro range.. Read a few reviews and finally settled yesterday on the slingshot 202aw, prices vary on line but seeing as I'm going away next week and needed a bag, I got it in the camera centre for 105.

First impressions, the bag itself is greag, although the sales man said that my 5D MK II and 70 - 200mm attached wouldn't fit, I took a punt on it, well happy when I got home and discovered it fitted perfectly. The bag itself is great, a lot of thinking gone into it and you can really benefit from all the small poaches and pockets. Tripod holder is handy as well.

If you had the slingshot 100/102, I'd say you should give the 202 a look and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

roguey wrote: »
    I'm still a bit iffy to be honest. If you had already received the camera then I would have no hesitations, but I dunno. I might wait and see if you get yours ok! :)

That same kit is on ebay.co.uk for 599 it is branded as a rebel .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CANON-EOS-REBEL-T3i-600D-DSLR-CAMERA-18-55mm-KIT-/300532840420?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item45f92737e4#ht_6065wt_1046

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi all - quick opinion request!

Looking at getting my bf a bridge camera - just so he can stop nagging me as I'm taking photos and get involved himself, he's interested but I think a bridge is fine for what he'd like to do rather than a dSLR at this stage.

So.. I'm thinking the Fujifilm s2800 or the Nikon L110.

Any users of either of the above or any advice? Review comparison below - one thing that jumps out for me is a lack of a viewfinder in the Nikon.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm_FinePix_S2800HD-vs-Nikon_Coolpix_L110

Must purchase this evening so.. anyone?!

OREGATO wrote: »
    In terms of cases, I've just outgrown my generic bag (the ones that are like a laptop bag that hang over one shoulder) it held one lense and the body with lense attached. However, with the addition of a 70 - 200mm F4 L, there is simply no way my gear will fit.

Based on this, I did a bit of research and read up on the slingshot style of bag, did a few comparisons between ebay specials, Tamrac and the Lowepro range.. Read a few reviews and finally settled yesterday on the slingshot 202aw, prices vary on line but seeing as I'm going away next week and needed a bag, I got it in the camera centre for 105.

First impressions, the bag itself is greag, although the sales man said that my 5D MK II and 70 - 200mm attached wouldn't fit, I took a punt on it, well happy when I got home and discovered it fitted perfectly. The bag itself is great, a lot of thinking gone into it and you can really benefit from all the small poaches and pockets. Tripod holder is handy as well.

If you had the slingshot 100/102, I'd say you should give the 202 a look and see what you think.
    Thanks I might just do that. Actually on that subject, can anyone tell me, is there much of a difference between the IS and Non IS versions of the 70-200 f4? What will the real world difference be? You can get the non IS for under €500 and less second hand, but the IS version is twice the price. If you only bought the Non IS, would you regret it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Hi all - quick opinion request!

Looking at getting my bf a bridge camera - just so he can stop nagging me as I'm taking photos and get involved himself, he's interested but I think a bridge is fine for what he'd like to do rather than a dSLR at this stage.

So.. I'm thinking the Fujifilm s2800 or the Nikon L110.

Any users of either of the above or any advice? Review comparison below - one thing that jumps out for me is a lack of a viewfinder in the Nikon.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm_FinePix_S2800HD-vs-Nikon_Coolpix_L110

Must purchase this evening so.. anyone?!

OH - and I was thinking of buying it in Argos - I've never bought electrical/camera equipment there before.. assume they're standard though?

• Advertisement

No idea about the camera but Argos is grand for buying gear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement