Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks I might just do that. Actually on that subject, can anyone tell me, is there much of a difference between the IS and Non IS versions of the 70-200 f4? What will the real world difference be? You can get the non IS for under €500 and less second hand, but the IS version is twice the price. If you only bought the Non IS, would you regret it?

The IS gives you about three extra stops of exposure over the typical rule of thumb for a telephoto exposure length, shortest exposure = 1/(focal length).

So at 200mm you shouldn't shoot slower that 1/200s or you will get hand shake in your shot. With IS you can reduce this quite significantly to about 1/30s.

You could just use a tripod...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Super5onic

5uspect wrote: »
    No idea about the camera but Argos is grand for buying gear.

Bear 3 things in mind before you go to Argos (if its not too late)

1. This camera uses AA batteries and WILL eat them! You will need a decent battery charger and rechargeable batteries.

2. Argos pricing doesnt include accessories as many "Irish" retailers do - I have seen this camera with 2GB card, leather case and charger with batteries for €239 which is far better value than €196 for camera only

3. The country is f**ked and its good to buy Irish :)

Either way enjoy it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

5uspect wrote: »
    The IS gives you about three extra stops of exposure over the typical rule of thumb for a telephoto exposure length, shortest exposure = 1/(focal length).

So at 200mm you shouldn't shoot slower that 1/200s or you will get hand shake in your shot. With IS you can reduce this quite significantly to about 1/30s.

You could just use a tripod...

Thanks. So generally for most things it will be grand, but don't expect it to work wonders in low light situations. If you want that pay €500 more for the IS version. I'd just be interested to know exactly how low - light would be its boundaries. I just remember when I had the Sigma 70-300mm APO (non is) it wasn't great in many situations. I also tested a Sigma 18-200, with and without the IS.This is a far far better lens though in fairness. I can't find any good comparison of the differences exactly online though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Cork_girl wrote: »
    OH - and I was thinking of buying it in Argos - I've never bought electrical/camera equipment there before.. assume they're standard though?
    Shop around for price.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

Super5onic wrote: »
    1. This camera uses AA batteries and WILL eat them! You will need a decent battery charger and rechargeable batteries.
    Battery Life (shots per charge) AA Alkaline: 270shots
    AA Lithium: 840shots
    EN-MH2:
    500shots
    Based on CIPA industry standard for measuring life of camera batteries. Measured at 23°C (73°F); zoom adjusted with each shot, built-in flash fired with every other shot, image mode set to Normal.
    (from nikon tech specs sheet)

Thats for the L110, not too bad in my opinion? i think its a great little camera by the looks of it? Dont generally like fujifilm, and you cant go wrong with nikon imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

So...

I have a Nikon D80, which I bought second hand with 300 shots on the clock, i've bumped that up to 13000, since christmas, and would like to upgrade the body. Mainly for faster fps, lower noise, weather sealing, magnesium alloy body, newer features stuff like that. So im trying to decide between:
    1. Nikon D300
    2. Nikon D300s
    3. Nikon D7000

What would your opinion be on all of this?

Regards

pswanto :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

d300 and 300s have more of a 'pro' build but the d7000 has all the newer tech ( EXPEED 2 CMOS sensor - 16.2mp vrs cmos 12.3 mp sensor) dual SD card slot (300 has one CF, 300s has CF + SD slot), , better at higher iso's and is smaller than 300 and 300s. 7000 and 300s have video (no video on d300)

If you like shooting in low light - d7000 wins hands down - it is almost on a par with the d700 at high iso's

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

Have decided after some research and advice to buy a Nikon P7000!

Wondering where to get the best deal in Dublin..........don't particularly want to head up North to Jessops or to buy online!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi all, just looking for some concrete advice about the benifits of buying a canon 550d or a canon 60d? i would also be looking at shooting HD Video on either but need clarification on the benifits of one over another.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Okay pretty simple and probably asked before which one of these should I get?

I'm upgrading in the next month and I've narrowed it down to either one of these cameras. I need a camera that can go between taking detailed picture of make up swatches and products to live bands and models.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Asphyxia wrote: »
    Okay pretty simple and probably asked before which one of these should I get?

I'm upgrading in the next month and I've narrowed it down to either one of these cameras. I need a camera that can go between taking detailed picture of make up swatches and products to live bands and models.

Thanks in advance.

d3100 -

Advantages of 3100 - more mp, lower base iso, better video, bigger lcd (not sure if it swivels though) one stop better at higher iso, lighter.

d5000

has bracketing, shoots 4 fps (d3100 is 3fps)

overall i would go for the 3100 especially if you are shooting indoor low light scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm thinking of buying a DSLR and would love some advice, even a link to some helpful posts here would be good if it applies.

I've never had a DSLR, or SLR, but I'll be starting a Journalism/Media course soon and would like to be able to take my own photos to use with articles, and for some of the media elements. It doesn't have to be amazing, just offer full control of shots, and I'd like the ability to use a telephoto lens for sports photos as well. Being able to take multiple photos in a short time would also be good, but I'd rather not shell out for it since it's not absolutely critical.

I'd also like to get into photography as a hobby, so something that I can learn proper techniques and such on would be ideal.

I looked at a Nikon D3100 (iirc) and it seemed to fit the bill as a nice entry level model and at €400 in a shop (the one on Grafton St., I forget the name) it was about the most I'd have to spend. Would I be better off getting it new or second hand? Would I find it cheaper online? And any other recommendations for what to look at, or what's available at €400 or less? If I could knock a bit off by going second hand that would be good too!

Also, what price would I be looking at for a telephoto lens, and is it really necessary? How much zoom can I get with an 18-55mm lens? I'd imagine I don't really need one for the moment, but would be interested for the future.

Cheers, and apologies if this has all been asked before!

I think if you can afford it get it new for the nikon guarantee. I don't think the gurantee is transferable on a second hand nikon

The best mid range telephoto for nikon (my opinion of course!) is the Nikon 70-300 AF S VR F/4.5-5.6 if-ed. It is an FX lens so if you upgrade to the fx format (d700, d3 etc) you won't have to trade your lens.

it is on offer at 499 in berminghams at the moment - more than the camera - but the best value for money zoom lens in the nikon line up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shock85

Can anyone recommend a digital SLR, starting to take a real interest in photography, but still a complete novice, anyway id like to treat myself to a new camera. Will be used mostly for portraits of my two lil babies :):) and scenic pics (if that makes any sense:confused:)
    Not a huge budget, but would love to hear your suggestions and opinions on whats out there.
    Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could probably pick up a D40 for €200 easily enough; it's old but still quite serviceable. or is that a lot below what you had budgeted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shock85

Thanks for the reply! Tbh I havent a clue what to get, my budget would be up t €500 (just gave up the smokes so needto treat myself :D) but tbh 200 sounds great, want something I can learn with but still take fab pics with iykwim. Would you know what the major diff between the D40 and say the D3100/D3000 would be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

megapixels, which are overrated, and high ISO performance, which would make a difference in dim lighting situations.
    not sure if the D3100 has video...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Doesn't the D40 only have three autofocus points? The newer models have a more comprehensive system. Not a huge deal breaker but can make thing awkward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Hey guys,

Im headed to Chicago for six months in September and I want to get a good camera to take some pics. Im also in terested in getting into photography and this will be my first camera. My price range would be 300 max. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the canon powershot g10 but im not sure if this is good enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Alpish wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im headed to Chicago for six months in September and I want to get a good camera to take some pics. Im also in terested in getting into photography and this will be my first camera. My price range would be 300 max. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the canon powershot g10 but im not sure if this is good enough.

Any of the Canon G series are great little cameras. I would go for the G9 or G11 over the G10 if there was the choice, though the G10 is still very good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Thanks for the reply. Besides these Canons, is there any other cameras you would recommend for a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

keep an eye on craigslist and you might pick up a decent secondhand DSLR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

anyone know anything about this fancy new tz20 from Panasonic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    anyone know anything about this fancy new tz20 from Panasonic?

Current top of the TZ range. Sold as the ZS10 in the US. Reviews
    are generally favourable, but most reviewers find the image quality
    is not quite as good as the TZ10 or the earlier TZ7.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-zs10/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs10-review.html

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ20_ZS10/verdict.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hi

I'm looking for a walkabout point and click budget is pretty small at about 100e.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey, where can i get a charger for an olympus e 500?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ebay is always great for those things...

I just my 600d delivered from www.SimplyElectronics.net - I know there are a few horror stories about them but I have to say I'm pretty delighted all in all. Got the camera way cheaper than anywhere else, and I got it delivered in a week as promised. I called them up to make sure they had it in stock first. €569 inc delivery for the 600d + 18-55mm IS II lens - it is €720 (+delviery) from Amazon, and €899 in Con's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Where did the package from simply originate ?

• Advertisement

UK :)

Guys can anyone tell me a good place to buy a memory card online? Who generally has the cheapest deals? Also, realistically what kind of card should I be looking for, I know there are a few differnt 'classes' etc - what do most people use?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement