Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

hbr wrote: »
    It is a fine camera and it probably offers the best bang for your buck in
    this price range. It has a lot in common with the new 600D. They are
    almost identical except for the tilt & swivel LCD.

I have a 500D which is also very similar to the 550D. It has
    a 15MP sensor instead of the 18MP sensor in the 550.
    Still image quality is very similar. The 550D is better for
    video because it has an external microphone socket and
    more video modes than the 500D.

When there is little difference in image quality and price, the
    look and feel of the camera is often the deciding factor.

Argos are doing the 550D with kit lens for €738. Have a look
    in the city centre camera shops. I find Mc Sweeny's are
    usually up for a bit of haggling. You may be able to get them
    to match or beat the Argos price.

On-line prices are a bit lower, but you may end up buying the
    Asian "Kiss" or American "Rebel" version which won't have
    warranty support from Canon Europe.

Thanks for the information, you've been a great help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

Hi,

I was looking into getting a Fuji FinePix HS20 camera. However, it seems to use AA batteries. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of how good the battery life is? Any comments on the camera in general would be welcome aswell!

I tried to find some Li-ion bridge cameras and one of the few I came across was the Lumix DMC FZ-100. Does anyone know how this would compare to the HS20 with regards to battery life and in general?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

hbr wrote: »

Argos are doing the 550D with kit lens for €738. Have a look
    in the city centre camera shops. I find Mc Sweeny's are
    usually up for a bit of haggling. You may be able to get them
    to match or beat the Argos price.

if you or someone you know is going through Dublin airport Dixons have 600d and kit lens for 660 euro which is very good. 1/2 day intermediate dslr course included. you could get someone you know to buy it for pickup on the way back - docket required for pickup. pickup area is in main airport area, not in restricted part so even if the person is not coming back to Ireland for a while they could post docket to you for pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Michael.. wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, you've been a great help.:)

The Canon 550d is 600 pounds on amazon.co.uk. I just got a Nikon 3100 with kit lens for 500 euro and got a 50euro cashback. Ordered it on a Wedsnesday evening had it on the Friday afternoon, no trouble with them. Great camera too, snapped loads of great pics allready!

That offer in Dixons for the 600d is very good though, that is hard to pass up!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was looking into getting a Fuji FinePix HS20 camera. However, it seems to use AA batteries. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of how good the battery life is? Any comments on the camera in general would be welcome aswell!

I tried to find some Li-ion bridge cameras and one of the few I came across was the Lumix DMC FZ-100. Does anyone know how this would compare to the HS20 with regards to battery life and in general?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

I have the HS10 (for sale at the moment if you are interested) and I bought some really high capacity batteries. It lasts ages, way more than I was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

660e for a 600d - i would book a ticket to london and back again for that deal :)

i got it for 750e delivered from eBay. cost 900 in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi

Looking for any suggestions for a point and shoot camera to be used mountain climbing (Eiger) so will be in very cold temperatures and high altitude. Easy to use - buttons not too fiddly - as at that temp. it will be click, click and not much messing about, possibly wearing gloves.

It's for my Dad, who isn't the most patient.. so something that will yield high quality results but easy to use.

Must get it today - of course last minute as always.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for any suggestions for a point and shoot camera to be used mountain climbing (Eiger) so will be in very cold temperatures and high altitude. Easy to use - buttons not too fiddly - as at that temp. it will be click, click and not much messing about, possibly wearing gloves.

It's for my Dad, who isn't the most patient.. so something that will yield high quality results but easy to use.

Must get it today - of course last minute as always.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dont forget that eh would have gloves on aswell, so on your search see if there is something that can cater for that. i know my point and shoot has a tiny power button which is hard at the best of tiems to turn on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hey guys, I am looking for a really good compact point and shoot camera. I have been looking at the Canon Powershot s95 but not having much look finding in Dublin. Has anyone seen it about by any chance - if so, what price?

I am obviously willing to entertain any comparable alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Hey guys, I am looking for a really good compact point and shoot camera. I have been looking at the Canon Powershot s95 but not having much look finding in Dublin. Has anyone seen it about by any chance - if so, what price?

http://www.connscameras.ie/above-400-!355-cat.html
    I am obviously willing to entertain any comparable alternatives.

Panasonic LX5 or Olympus XZ-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whodumaflip

.... I'm looking at purchasing a Canon EOS 1000D 10mp SLR ..... I've been advised that this is a good starting point in Digital Photography .... I was wondering if anyone here had any advice or experience of using this particular camera .... or can suggest other similar alternatives.

Many thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Its a good camera alright, and if it's in your budget then go for it. There's really no difference between the entry level SLRs to be honest - they're all as good as each other. My one piece of advice would be to take it out of the auto modes - if you really want to benefit and learn then there's no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

gnolan wrote: »
    Hi,

Like many people here i'm also looking at getting the D3100. I have some questions. Currently its around €490 on amazon. Is there a better camera around in this price range? I'm not sure what exactly i'm going to need to get with it, a bag, SD card, anything else? Tripod maybe?

This will be my first DSLR but learning new things like this wouldn't overwhelm me and i think i'll pick it up quite quickly. Will this camera be suitable for me?
    ?

If you live near the north, Currys have them (body + kit lens) for 439 pounds if I remember correctly. Also, if you buy this camera + 1 lens before 31st July, you're eligible for 50e Nikon cashback (75e if you buy 2 lenses).

I find it a nice beginner camera, the menu is fairly intuitive and the quality of photos is great for me, especially if you use the internal sharpen function with jpeg. The drawbacks are lack of built-in motor for auto focusing, so you either have to focus manually with AF-mount lenses or buy AF-S lenses if you want them to autofocus; also there's no bracketing mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭gnolan

andala wrote: »
    If you live near the north, Currys have them (body + kit lens) for 439 pounds if I remember correctly. Also, if you buy this camera + 1 lens before 31st July, you're eligible for 50e Nikon cashback (75e if you buy 2 lenses).

I find it a nice beginner camera, the menu is fairly intuitive and the quality of photos is great for me, especially if you use the internal sharpen function with jpeg. The drawbacks are lack of built-in motor for auto focusing, so you either have to focus manually with AF-mount lenses or buy AF-S lenses if you want them to autofocus; also there's no bracketing mode.

Hi, thanks. I bought the camera from amazon for £433. Does the 18-55mm lens that is included with the kit an AF-S lens?

Can you explain what bracketing is and what it's benefit would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Yeah, I'm sure the kit lens is AF-S. Bracketing allows you to take a sequence of photos with different exposures. It's useful if you shoot jpeg or want to try at HDR, but you can well do without it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

All the Nikon lenses for quite some time now have had internal AF motors. It's only an issue if you are using their old glass or some third party lenses.

You can still bracket but have to do so manually, which is no big deal. Usually you would set the camera to manual and then, keeping the same Aperture, vary the exposure by varying the Shutter Speed. Maybe -6 -4 -2 0 +2 +4 +6 stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iandp

Hi, I have just booked a course in photography and I am looking for a camera. I know absolutely nothing about cameras, what lenses are good, etc. and I need help with choosing my first camera plus lens kit. I will mainly be using the camera to shoot family, holidays, etc. I have about 600 pounds to spend and I am considering the Canon 550d and the below lens 2 options which cost approximately the same amount. i hope someone can help me which one is better:
    1. Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (inc 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit), costs 598.95 GBP on Amazon at the moment
    2. Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera body only. Costs 513.60 GBP. Plus Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens, costs 79.78 gbp at the moment.

Many thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

if you're just starting, i'd go for the 18-55 lens kit, and then if you really like it, get the 50mm as soon as you can.

that's just me though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

iandp wrote: »
    Hi, I have just booked a course in photography and I am looking for a camera. I know absolutely nothing about cameras, what lenses are good, etc. and I need help with choosing my first camera plus lens kit. I will mainly be using the camera to shoot family, holidays, etc. I have about 600 pounds to spend and I am considering the Canon 550d and the below lens 2 options which cost approximately the same amount. i hope someone can help me which one is better:
    1. Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (inc 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit), costs 598.95 GBP on Amazon at the moment
    2. Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera body only. Costs 513.60 GBP. Plus Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens, costs 79.78 gbp at the moment.

Many thanks!!

Neither of these lenses are "better" as they are both different. The only they have in common is that they are about the cheapest lenses you will get.

The first is a general purpose zoom lens which would be the default lens for this body. It covers a range of focal lengths from wide angle to mid telephoto. It has image stabilization included. It is not a fast lens (the max aperture is f/3.5-5.6) nor will it be the sharpest lens. It is however a good general purpose lens which is why it's the Kit Lens.

The second is known as the "nifty fifty" and is a good lens for some things. This is a prime lens which means it has a fixed focal length and on your body it will be a mid telephoto. It does not have stabilization. The advantages it has is that it is fast being f1.8 and it will be sharp too.

For starting out I would probably opt for the kit lens and maybe look at picking up a nifty fifty in a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Any opinions on generic battery grips?

I'd like to pick up a battery grip but the Canon one is a little dear for me at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭gnolan

Can anyone advise on the essential items to purchase when starting out?

I have just bought the D3100 and so far i think i need to get a tripod, case and SD card. Will i need to get a UV filter? Or indeed anything else?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

gnolan wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on the essential items to purchase when starting out?

I have just bought the D3100 and so far i think i need to get a tripod, case and SD card.

Thanks

Obviously, the memory card is absolutely essential. Get one which
    is fast enough for recording HD video. Class 6 or Class 10.

The camera case is almost as essential unless you do all of
    your shooting at your home.

A tripod can be very useful, especially when you are using the
    relatively slow kit lens.
    Will i need to get a UV filter? Or indeed anything else?

Digital cameras don't need UV filters. There is a case for using
    one just to protect the lens from sand, dirt, water and accidental
    damage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter#Clear_and_ultraviolet

Everybody has their own requirements. This is what I carry in my bag:

Spare battery.

Spare memory card.

Small blower and soft lens cloth.

Wireless remote shutter release (€4 on eBay)

Various filters. CPL, ND 4 and GND. None of which I would regard
    as essential.

One extra lens.

And most importantly, a puncture repair kit and spare lamp
    batteries for my bike.

Things I usually leave at home unless I have a specific need
    for them:

External flash.

USB card reader.

Charger for camera battery .

Charger for flash battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

My camera has died and I want to get my first SLR.

I would hope to go second hand if possible or new if the cost allowed.

I don't have a budget as such but would welcome any suggestions about brands, models and if possible locations to purchase.

Cheers,
    RM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Have a look in MacSweeneys down Oliver Plunkett st. The lads there know their stuff and they have a good selection of used cameras starting around the 250 euro mark. Really keen pricing on brand new stock as well and they'll give a good price for cards/cases etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Cheers Iron Hide ! I will go in to them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Raaaight !!

what do you want to take photos of ?

if you plan on doing more and more with the camera then I would suggest a system like Canon or Nikon - they have the largest range of lenses if you plan on building your gear.

There are plenty of other systems Pentax, Sony, Minolta - however, because Canon/Nikon are the main players there are loads of secondhand lenses/bodies around.

its a bit of a bold suggestion but you could always go with a film SLR - learn and experiment - most of the time any lenses will be usable if you eventually move up to a digital SLR.

goto a shop and check out different cameras - whichever feels most comfortable in your hand is the system which you should choose !! (lets face it unless you are comfortable holding the camera - whats the point in buying it)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Would you recommend getting a camera from Amazon.com? It's €200-300 cheaper than it is here and they're a well known enough site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

So I bought a D3100 from Amazon. Hopefully will be arriving this week, maybe start of next week. It came with a free backpack too, which was nice.

Anyway, I'll be shooting video with this, as well as the usual stuff. 720p, as opposed to the 1080p I reckon, just wondering if people had any advice on what sd card I should order? Also, any case I should pick up? Going on honeymoon in a few weeks, so I want to keep this safe, and the backpack is impractical for the trip.

So I bought a D3100 from Amazon. Hopefully will be arriving this week, maybe start of next week. It came with a free backpack too, which was nice.

Anyway, I'll be shooting video with this, as well as the usual stuff. 720p, as opposed to the 1080p I reckon, just wondering if people had any advice on what sd card I should order? Also, any case I should pick up? Going on honeymoon in a few weeks, so I want to keep this safe, and the backpack is impractical for the trip.

a class 6 or above card will do fine for all uses. 16gb is the best value size currently.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-16GB-SDHC-Class-Memory/dp/B003VNKNEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311701486&sr=8-1

is a good option from amazon. it' says class 10 but people argue that it's really 6 but all agree that it works well with cameras, stills or hd video.

if your amazon order hasn't shipped you can amend and add to order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Is the canon 550D a nice enough slr for someone who's never owned it? I've read nothing but good things about it. Just wanted some first hand opinions. I've also been reading up on the 600D too, is it worth it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement