Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Frodo_Baggins

If you are a bit experienced, you can see the remarkable differences not the technical details only.

1., 9 point AF vs 7 very remarkable as well as dedicated AF chip.

2.,Next is not for every day situations, but I suppose also huge difference in continuous shooting speed. At 450D is same at RAW as well as JPEG vs 1000d have different speed for them 3fps and 1.5fps at RAW. If you want to make so good picture as possible, you never will be use JPEG mode, just only RAW.

3.,Spot metering at 450D vs partial with 9% at 1000d also big difference.

Balls! I knew them factors that I didn't understand would be important.

Thanks for the heads-up though. Although, it pretty much puts me back to drawing board in researching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'd look for a camera for about €100 and get about €50 worth of memory card. You probably won't find a lot of "real" difference between cameras in that price range. If the person it's being gifted to has a favorite brand, that's where I'd start.
    I would recommend sticking with one of the bigger brands.. cheapo brand "X" tends to be exactly that.
    I really like my Panasonic Lumix point & shoot (for a P&S), but would have probably been just as happy with something by Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji or even Samsung. (But not SONY.. but that's just me.. their P&S cameras are probably fine.)

There are quite a few threads on here already about buy cameras, so you should search them out & see what people have said a about specific cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Northern Girl

Hi

A little clueless about photgraphy, but I am looking to buy my husband a decent tripod for a Canon 550D? Any advice???? Should I also get him a gorillapod???

Thanks to all in advance! I really need some guidance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

What's your budget? What type of photography is he into?

Oh Good question Dave! should have included it in my original post.

Budget about €100... he's into landscaping etc etc... Hes a keen mountain biker and tries to get some snaps in whilst at the top of the hills.....

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Hi

A little clueless about photgraphy, but I am looking to buy my husband a decent tripod for a Canon 550D? Any advice???? Should I also get him a gorillapod???

Thanks to all in advance! I really need some guidance :D

Slik Pro 500DX. €114 from Sam McCauley chemist shops.
    Big, strong and sturdy. Tall enough for a basketball player.
    Inverting centre column for macro shots. They are a bit
    heavy for hiking or cycling.

Thank you for that. I am wondering is there anything that would be equally as good, but lighter for hiking/cycling etc?

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 smiley2742

hey guys im headin to oz in a few weeks and i need a good quality camera! i do a lot of extreme sports and it might be prone to getting a knock or two. any help would be greatly appreciated.... this one caught my eye what you think? oh my budget is bout e150
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120655586525&Category=31388&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

smiley2742 wrote: »
    hey guys im headin to oz in a few weeks and i need a good quality camera! i do a lot of extreme sports and it might be prone to getting a knock or two. any help would be greatly appreciated.... this one caught my eye what you think? oh my budget is bout e150
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120655586525&Category=31388&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2
    I was gonna get one of these a while back for similar reasons, and when I couldn't be bothered hauling the big camera! http://www.connscameras.ie/olympus--tough3000/p-4545350026691pd.html Olympus tough, probably much the same as the casio one, although i don't here much about casio cameras so am a bit wary, but I'm sure there fine. Olympus on the other hand have a rock solid reputation when in comes to cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

smiley2742 wrote: »

Why not get one that's a bit duarable, like this. I know there's a few more like it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Going to get my first tripod for xmas, what are decent ones? The ones I've looked at in a few camera shops to get a feel for them seem sort of easily breakable with various sections of the legs etc. Any advice? (I have a 450d if it makes any difference :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Teferi wrote: »
    Going to get my first tripod for xmas, what are decent ones? The ones I've looked at in a few camera shops to get a feel for them seem sort of easily breakable with various sections of the legs etc. Any advice? (I have a 450d if it makes any difference :) )
    If you can afford it get a manfrotto tripod, it'll last for life, not sure about the various models, the basic ones are reasonable enough. The type of camera you have does make a difference alright, the 450d would be light, so you could get away with a lighter tripod.

A manfrotto's for life, unlike a Hama which is just for Christmas! (damn I'm quick witted so early)

Enjoy the shopping
    Brendan

www.brendanryanphotography.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

i need advice on these 3 cameras on what to get for my gf for xmas need good picture quality and video quality which is best? or would you recommend

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38
    Fuji HS10
    Fuji s2800HD

• Registered Users Posts: 25 smiley2742

I was gonna get one of these a while back for similar reasons, and when I couldn't be bothered hauling the big camera! http://www.connscameras.ie/olympus--tough3000/p-4545350026691pd.html Olympus tough, probably much the same as the casio one, although i don't here much about casio cameras so am a bit wary, but I'm sure there fine. Olympus on the other hand have a rock solid reputation when in comes to cameras.

thanks very much. i bought this today in argos for e155 seems good value :) thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Im interested in getting a DSLR for Christmas. Will be used mainly for landscaping. My only preference is it must have a long shutter speed (eg 30 secs). Budget is about €400-€500. Idealy closer to the €400 mark ;)

Was looking at two different ones

http://www.currys.ie/Product/CANON-EOS-1000D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Canon-1855-mm-EFS-Zoom-Lens-101-mp/297829/176

http://www.currys.ie/Product/SONY-Alpha-DSLRA290L-Digital-SLR-Camera-1855mm-Zoom-Lens/298686/176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Could anyone offer any recommendations for a camera bag. Looking for something with a shoulder strap (not a backpack), can hold a DSLR and has room for a spare lens, maybe a filter or two. Budget would be around e100.

Thoughts on these?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1572820/art/lowepro/photo-nova-180-aw-shoulde.html
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/41725/art/lowepro/stealth-reporter-200-aw-h.html
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5292739/art/lowepro/photo-runner-100-shoulder.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its for my mother since she just broke her old sony cam
    • So my budget is 200 max for a new one.
    • Easy controls on navigating the shooting modes
    • She usually takes pictures of landscapes and very few social events.
    • Nothing over the top just decent quality would be nice

This is my main target Samsung WB600

Any advice would be appreciated :)
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Anyone with an opinion to share?

Looking for a crop frame second camera to compliment my 5DmkII. After doing a bit of research I was going to go for a 7D but after having a hold of a 550D I am won over! Movie mode etc isn't my concern but I am impressed by it's metering system. Not a fulltime shooter, would look to second cam for street & urban shooting, holiday snaps etc :) Have a full compliment of Canon glass so not looking to jump ship. Budget around 600/700€ mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hi all,
    looking at getting my folkes a decent point and shoot digital camera and im at a loss, i honestly have never looked to buy one before. They would only be using it for holiday and recreational snaps they're no really into gadgety type things so the simpler the better. Any advice welcome.
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Cant go wrong with the ak47 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

Hi Guys:)

I want to buy a camera for my mother for Christmas and I was looking at the Canon Powershot SX210 IS 14.1 MP camera. Can anyone tell me if they have had any experiences with this camera before, as it's quite expensive and I don't have a huge amount of knowledge on the camera front:o

I'd really appreciate any help ye can provide:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have you tried here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056053341

there is a dedicated section for people looking to purchase a camera.

to be fair - ANYONE Can recommend a camera but it comes down to what the person wants the camera for, how much experience/knowledge the person has and if the person is using a DSLR or SLR .... if the lenses will be compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Hi guys im looking for a camera for around 250-350euro... I will be photographing mainly my family (indoors and outdoors) and some countryside mountains etc, i have 2 small children that I want to capture good quick photos of them as they dont really have patience to pose..
    any advice on the best camera for that would be great as i dont really understand anything about them!:confused::)
    The last two cameras iv had were Nikon coolpix S220

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

Recently purchased a canon 550d with the kit lens 18-55mm , Want to get another lens and was thinking about the above Sigma AF 70-300mm - anyone have it or have experience using it ?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-Macro-Canon/dp/B000ALLMI8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291735014&sr=1-5

I like taking landscape shots and just general walking about shots. Would like a wide angle 10-20mm but currently out of my price range and i already have a wide angle / fisheye adapter so that will do me for a while.

Or any other sugestions for something about the €250- 300 price range >?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A freind of mine bought a negative scanner from the newspaper. Anyway it was in poor condition and they have taken it back i think. However she would still like one but most of the ones she has seen are not compatable with windows 7.

I guess i could find her one that is, but i have no idea about these things, what is good and what is not, she seems to have a lot of negatives built over time and I've seen some nice pictures that she has taken over time. So it would be worth some good advice please. I tnk the one has bought was made by Ion

thank you.

she was looking at this the res is 3600dpi

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?type=product&id=27078

plus it wont need a PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i have it in nikon mount, its fine. nothing amazing but good value. not an incredible macro lens but a fine tele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

Yeah, I second Mawk, for 250-300 euros, it's good glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I got mine, Pentax mount, for $300 USD back when I lived over there. It's definitely good value for the money, just like these other guys said.
    (I really hate being a sheep.. but I can't fault the lens.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Honestly, I'd wait until I had enough for the OS version.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement