Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe using Smoked Mackerel

Options
  • 06-10-2010 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a smoked mackerel in Lidl (amazing value, I think it was only €1.80) but I have never cooked it before. I would like to cook it Friday with maybe mashed potatoes and green beans.

I was wondering what the best way to cook it is though? Grill/fry/bake? Also how do I cut of the head and tail?!!!

Anyone know a nice sauce i could serve with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Its already cooked, in the same way that smoked salmon is cooked during the smoking process, so just needs to be heated up, or eaten cold.

I usually buy the fillets of smoked mackerel as they are easier. If you have
    a full fish, I would take the flesh off the bones with a knife.

I eat it cold on brown bread with salad. Lovely.

If you want to make a meal of it, I love Nigel Slaters recipe for smoked mackerel and bacon fishcakes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/14/nigel-slaters-smokehouse-recipes

If you want to serve it with spuds and veg, I would take the meat off the bones and heat gently.

I have never tried this, but I think it would go well with white sauce flavoured with some mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

You can make pate out of it. Just blitz it in a blender with cream cheese. add a squeeze of lemon juice. I sometimes add horseradish and a pinch of cayenne pepper depending on the mood. Blitz till smooth, put in ramakin dishes.

yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

huskerdu wrote: »
    Its already cooked, in the same way that smoked salmon is cooked during the smoking process, so just needs to be heated up, or eaten cold.

If you want to make a meal of it, I love Nigel Slaters recipe for smoked mackerel and bacon fishcakes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/14/nigel-slaters-smokehouse-recipes

Yum, this receipe actually looks lovely. I think I might try it but I will probably just chop finely rather than getting out the food processer out.

Thanks huskerdu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

One of my fave things with smoked mackeral fillets is to mash up two fillets with mayo and a load of grated cheese and black pepper. Onto a bit of toast and under the grill till the cheese starts to melt. Delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Mmmm I decided to cook something different from all of the above and cooked a yummy pasta dish with it instead.

It was a penne pasta dishe with a white wine and garlic creamy sauce with a squeeze of lemon and the smoked mackerel flaked in.

It tasted exactly like a dish I tasted in a local italian recently. Divine!

Ill definately be using this fish again, I had never used it before and wasnt expecting the consistency to be so creamy.

And best of all - it was so cheap and tasty. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Smoked fish and particularly smoked mackerel suit asian salads - fish, leaves, shoots, chilli, garlic and lime juice. If you do nothing else, squeeze half a lime over some smoked mackerel - the acidic citrus flavour is a great counterpoint to the smokey, oily fish.

Advertisement