Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Brammeier signs for HTC-Colombia

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'd heard Mark McNally had a move lined but this didn't see this coming.
    Well done to Matt and hope it works out well..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Fantastic news. Looks like his ride at the Worlds didn't go unnoticed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

el tonto wrote: »
    Fantastic news. Looks like his ride at the Worlds didn't go unnoticed.

Mmmmmm, wonder if there was an unofficial combine with the Irish and British riders !!

Anyway he's had more than his fair share of bad luck and bad teams before so onward and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

He's come back from horrendous injuries, so fair play to the lad.

Junior wrote: »
    He's come back from horrendous injuries, so fair play to the lad.

He broke his leg badly a few years ago I think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RobFowl wrote: »
    He broke his leg badly a few years ago I think?

He got hit by a cement mixer truck. Broke both legs and one hip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Forgive my ignorance here, but how is this guy Irish? According to wikipedia (I know, gospel) he was born in Liverpool and only declared for Ireland for this season gone by. And it's definately not an Irish name. Some people on here have a go at Roche for his Frenchness, will it be worse for Brammeier if he ever does anything??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Forgive my ignorance here, but how is this guy Irish? According to wikipedia (I know, gospel) he was born in Liverpool and only declared for Ireland for this season gone by. And it's definately not an Irish name. Some people on here have a go at Roche for his Frenchness, will it be worse for Brammeier if he ever does anything??
    he's wearing the national champions jersey at the moment !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

he's wearing the national champions jersey at the moment !

Oh, I know that, but how? 18 months ago is wasn't Irish, now he is and he's national champion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

It's very simple, he was English while he was good enough to get funding from British cycling, but they dropped him.

Ireland got an English director of high performance, who offered him funding, so now he's Irish, Simples.

How it improves Irish cycling I don't know.

• Advertisement

Oh, I know that, but how? 18 months ago is wasn't Irish, now he is and he's national champion?

He qualifies for Irish citizenship through his grandparents. He's declared for Ireland at the start of the 2009 season and like many footballers and sportsmen before (not to mention Eamon DeValera :rolleyes:) is Irish despite not being born here.

BryanL wrote: »
    How it improves Irish cycling I don't know.

He makes the team pursuit squad go faster, scores points on the UCI Europe circuit which helps qualify places for the Worlds and Olympic games and helps give the sport a higher profile.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He makes the team pursuit squad go faster, scores points on the UCI Europe circuit which helps qualify places for the Worlds and Olympic games and helps give the sport a higher profile.....

Yeah, but apart from that what has he ever done for us? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think he's cyclings Tony Cascarino, I mean who would have believed a guy with the name Cascarino and an English accent would turn out not to be Irish at all?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Maybe there should be a test? Perhaps a 3 question format? And you could be the Bridgekeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Anyway Irish or not, can't wait to see the HTC Irish champs jersey ...

2009_team_columbia_htc_italian_champion_jersey_co_250.jpg

I've never seen the Irish pursuit team? Has anyone here seen them?
    So I can't see how they are raising the profile of cycling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

if I had been Irish this year I would have won a real Bronze in women team sprint ... in France I would be nowhere ... If I am ever any better at cycling I might switch.

Congrats to Matt on the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've never seen the Irish pursuit team? Has anyone here seen them?
    So I can't see how they are raising the profile of cycling?

I've seen them on the BBC and eurosport at the worlds and stuff. Where would you expect to see them?

niceonetom wrote: »
    I've seen them on the BBC and eurosport at the worlds and stuff. Where would you expect to see them?

One place i never expect to see them is in the finals, but i haven't seen them on TV either, I'll keep looking though.

• Advertisement

Interview with Matt Brammeier on Pez today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Interesting Quote about life in Belguim

Over here the culture is totally different concerning cyclists. Here we are respected for what we do; back in UK we are hated for slowing their journey down by 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

One place i never expect to see them is in the finals, but i haven't seen them on TV either, I'll keep looking though.

Well the Northern Ireland team came 3rd in the Commonwealth games - a team that included David McCann, Sean Downey, Philip Lavery and Martyn Irvine - you're obviously not looking hard enough...

Advertisement