Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing BB provider

• 06-10-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with smart and am thinking about moving to UPC. Thing is I have my house wired with CAT 5 which works fine with Smart cause the central 'hub' room is the study which is where I have a phone line.

So from that room I have a router that spreads the signal to all other rooms in the house (multiple CAT 5 cables).

My UPC access point is downstairs behind the TV, which also happens to be one of the access points of my household CAT 5 network.

If I change to UPC and the network point behind my TV becomes the new 'hub' can I still spread the connection to all other points in the house? By this I mean if I leave the router in the study can I just take the signal from behind the TV, up to the study, into the router there and back out into all points?

Sorry if unclear, hard to describe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

chabsey wrote: »
    I'm currently with smart and am thinking about moving to UPC. Thing is I have my house wired with CAT 5 which works fine with Smart cause the central 'hub' room is the study which is where I have a phone line.

So from that room I have a router that spreads the signal to all other rooms in the house (multiple CAT 5 cables).

My UPC access point is downstairs behind the TV, which also happens to be one of the access points of my household CAT 5 network.

If I change to UPC and the network point behind my TV becomes the new 'hub' can I still spread the connection to all other points in the house? By this I mean if I leave the router in the study can I just take the signal from behind the TV, up to the study, into the router there and back out into all points?

Sorry if unclear, hard to describe.
    ...will work fine : modem behind the tv --> cat5 to router in the study---> cat5 around all house

Advertisement