Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Car Service in Trim

Options
  • 06-10-2010 4:53pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Anyone any recommendations for a decent car service in Trim? Looking for someone that knows their way around a VW Passat diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I've used Autostop out in the motor park on the Navan road. Decent blokes. I got cheesed off with my previous service centre and have no complaints with the guys since moving to them. Have had both Ford's and VW's with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

I have a VW Passat Diesel and get it serviced in Trim Tyre Centre - have done so for a while now and have no complaints. Seems to be all fine (and get the valet thrown in).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have used Autostop three times since I moved to Trim a year ago, good guys and probably a good bit cheaper than main dealers. I'd recommend them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Geranium40

Highly recommend McCormack Motors in Longwood (only 10 mins from Trim). Drives a VW Passat himself, so knows all there is to know about them:) Ring Philip on 087-2697062

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I had a major service done in the Tyre Centre / Sohans and would not repeat the experience, timing belt was mis-aligned, miracle I didn't lose the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Thanks for all the replies folks. I knew there was a crowd out the Navan Road that had been recommended here before (couldn't find the thread) and couldn't remember the name. Will give them a shout, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Rickard’s Garage in Robinstown is very reliable.
    Phone: 046-9023247

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Autostop, changed an alternator and clutch in a Trooper for me ages back, great service, facilities are a bit basic but I like that, love being able to see how they work on the car, recommended, especially on price, very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

AVOID TRYM TYRE CENTRE on the Dublin Road

got stung twice, nerver again... once my car wasn't ready and had to come back the next day (it was only booked in for a service) and when I came back the next day the "free valet included" was not done, still got charged full amount

second experience: car broke down, told me he would ring me regarding part, never heard from him again. I also think the fella has a very strange attitude, no people skills whatsoever

I switched to the chap near Supermac's on the Navan road, can;t fault him so far ...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

falabo wrote: »
    AVOID TRYM TYRE CENTRE on the Dublin Road

got stung twice, nerver again... once my car wasn't ready and had to come back the next day (it was only booked in for a service) and when I came back the next day the "free valet included" was not done, still got charged full amount

second experience: car broke down, told me he would ring me regarding part, never heard from him again. I also think the fella has a very strange attitude, no people skills whatsoever

I switched to the chap near Supermac's on the Navan road, can;t fault him so far ...

+1 - having made earlier post (some months ago) - have since been stung by Trim Tyre Centre, won;t be going there again (in addition same as LP - was charged for the valet even though didn't get round)...never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Another recommendation for Autostop. We've been going to them for about 4 years now (and with 2 cars doing 25k-35k we're there a lot just for routine stuff) and they've been able to fix anything we've thrown at them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Autostop are open Saturdays also. I'd a coil pack go in the car Saturday morning, dropped in and they looked at it straight away. Picked up the car later that day.

No frills, oil everywhere :D but that's what I like about it - proper mechanics and no big shiny glass showroom to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lstars

another recommendation for autostop!
    from personal experience avoiid trim tyres like the plague!! their attitude is very odd- it's like they dont want the business??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

+1 on Rickards

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Another one here for Autostop :D

I had a quote from my previous garage that made me need to sit down, asked them on a recommendation and their quote was a couple of hundred cheaper. It turned out that something else needed doing that you can only find when you open things up, still turned out considerably cheaper than the original quote I was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pdmc

I advise you go to Auto Stop. I've had 3 Alfa Romeo 156's and an Opel Astra in with those lads and I've always been happy with their work ranging from servicing, to replacing brake discs, curing warped alloys, droplinks, wishbones etc etc. Good work done at a decent rate. They'll always let you know if they've seen something sinister or a part that will shortly need replacing and never fit anything without first giving you a call to check whether you want it done or not.

The other place (on my doorstep) over on the Dublin Road however I've had some concerns about.

1st annoyance: Needed 4 new tyres, asked if they included everything in the price - they said yes. Collected car and paid for the 4 new tyres and he tells me I'll need to have it tracked elsewhere as they don't have the equipment. *rage* WHAT DID THEY THINK I MEANT BY 'EVERYTHING'? The air in the tyres? Couple of days later realised the Alfa Romeo badge from centre of one alloy was missing - plus one of the caps for the security lock nut was also gone. These things do not just fall off. Presumably they were removed - for whatever reason - and not replaced. *RAGE*

2nd annoyance: The other half left their car in for tyres to be switched from front to back and we got it back minus the black plastic wheel nutcovers.

3rd annoyance: Went to collect car after dropping it for servicing and was told a vacuum system had to be used to remove the oil from sump because the sump was fully enclosed with fibreglass or similar so the bolt couldn't be removed to drain it normally. No other garage had mentioned this before and it was the first I heard of it. I thought it very odd.

4th annoyance: When they first opened the bloke behind the counter was the full on customer service focused - we want your money but we also want you to be happy type. Now - they project an all pervasive air of disinterest, laziness and indifference. They just don't seem to want my money - and bear in mind I've never actually complained to them about any of the above.

5th annoyance: Went in to get a quote for 8, yes EIGHT, new tyres for 2 cars. Couldn't give me any discount even though I was prepared to spend €800 in one visit. Need I say any more about them?

Obviously, I took my business to AutoStop instead. Both cars were done in 2 hours. We did have to take one back for tracking afterwards, but otherwise I can't fault the lads there.

I highly recommend AutoStop.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

sorry for bringing up an old thread but I was wondering if anyone would recommend K.A.R mechanics out beside Supermacs on the navan rd.

I have had them do a few small things on the car but am about to get the timing belt done on my car and want to see what people think of them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pdmc

I've had one experience with these guys in 2007.

Battery went flat on my car and I urgently needed to get going on a long journey down the country but I had no jumpleads. I got a lift over to that garage. I asked if they could possibly come over to where my car was (2 mins drive) and start it for me making clear that I was willing to pay them; I wasn't expecting charity. They said sure, we'll send someone out to you in a minute. I told them I'd be sitting outside in a black Opel Corsa. They said that was fine, they'd find me. I sat outside their garage for 30 minutes waiting for the 'someone' to come out. No one entered or left the building in that time. After 30 minutes I decided that was long enough and got the message.

I won't trouble them with my business again.

Advertisement