Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed and Time to Study

Options
  • 06-10-2010 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Anyone got any ideas.

I am 35 and unemployed since last week.

I want to go back to college to do a course that will get me a job at the end.

Have all courses started and will I have to wait till next year to go back to study.

Any ideas welcome.

I have a UCD engineering degree already

Thanks

Tommer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Where are you based,all university courses have begun already and you would have had to apply through the cao before the summer.
    Check out distance learning courses or if the local uni runs night courses,Fas begin different courses at set times in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Choclolate

Thanks,

But FAS courses arent really what I am looking for. Most of then are fairly basic and not really valuable once completed.

I have heard you can do teacher training over distance learning biut cant seem to find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Choclolate wrote: »
    I have heard you can do teacher training over distance learning biut cant seem to find it anywhere.

You can train to be a primary teacher through Hibernia College which is mostly distance learning.

For secondary teaching some UK colleges do distance learning programmes. See http://www.gttr.ac.uk/

Open University do distance learning teacher training

If you are interested in secondary teaching you have to make sure you satisfy the subject requirements as listed on the Teaching Council website

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Hey chocolate,

Why not just think about things for a month or so. Being unemployed for a week and you probably feel you should be doing something quickly. However it's not a wise move to jump into something just because you are unemployed recently. If you are going to do something then take time checking out all your options. It took me a year to find what I really wanted to do, I'm in 2nd now of a degree course and I'm 34 myself, I'm thinking of staying on and doing a Masters or PhD because things here will not be so good for a few years and I feel i really like what i am doing. University is very different when you are older!!!
    You need to think logically about all your options first and get all the information first. Some Universities start recruiting in January for the following year in Ireland and some from Feb/March onwards, so it gives you a few months to settle down and check all you options. you need to think about how you are going to fund yourself as well, so checking out what you could be entitled to is the way to go.
    Talk to your dole officer first and foremost also the local grant office in a few weeks when things settle down, they are probably still processing applications now and will be until November. Forget FAS, that's a waste of time for someone that has your qualifications.
    The sooner you think about getting your cash together the easier it will be to make decisions about what you can do and where you can do it.

Hope this helps,

Advertisement