Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Commitments are coming back

Options
  • 06-10-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

I fairly sure that these guys are going to be touring in the near future. I thought that their two soundtracks were amazing. What ever happened to Jimmy Rabbitte? He was amazing in the film. I fairly sure he sang Dark End of the street

Comments

And they still look great.
    44213_479990555850_587000850_7230313_6830741_n.jpg

* The Royal Theatre, Castlebar, Co Mayo on March 14
    * The INEC in Killarney, Co Kerry on March 15
    * The Odyssey, Belfast on March 17 and
    * The O2, Dublin on March 19

Shame they went the way of €60 tickets, but i suppose that's the usual these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Wheres the other female singer? I had a crush on her for a long time

Filming Dexter for Showtime in the US. Joey the lips was apparently ill at the shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,501 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No Outspan ie Glen Hansard.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

PTH2009 wrote: »

Second from the right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

PTH2009 wrote: »

Glen is there, second from the right of the picture.

I think I'll go to this,

If I didn't and it was brilliant I'd kick myself hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Might just by the DVD and CD instead and have a laugh...I'm sure the music will be good and all but eur60 is a bit much for living a few memories of the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

I think i'll be going to this. The film was amazing & still is today.

If they can sound half as good as the movie the atmosphere will be electric! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone got a gun?

I suppose I shouldn't complain after all if the economy can have an 80s revival why not a bunch of faux soul warblers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I used to love that movie and the soundtrack. Can't take them seriously now after Andrew Strong tried to pick me up by offering me Charge and talking about his house in France. :( Ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ahh brother rabbit why did you doubt me so... :D:D:D:D

Yes i hear of our return now that we are free from licence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Ahh brother rabbit why did you doubt me so... :D:D:D:D

Yes i hear of our return now that we are free from licence...

"Betcha U2 are sh1ttin' themselves." :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

liah wrote: »
    I used to love that movie and the soundtrack. Can't take them seriously now after Andrew Strong tried to pick me up by offering me Charge and talking about his house in France. :( Ruined.
    As in the legal high?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Watched the film there recently and its still as great as ever! I do wonder though if they would be as good now, saw a piece about their return on tv this evening and i wouldn't be wowed at how they were performing.

@ liah-i have a similar opinion of Andrew Strong, in my case he tried to pick me and my sister up in he hospital corridor outside my grandmothers room. She'd just died and we were sobbing, and he wanted to know if we would like to join him in his hotel room for a drink! What the??!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Imelda Quirke!!! Phwoaar!!!

SkidMark wrote: »
    Glen is there, second from the right of the picture.

Erm, that's not Glen, unless he's significantly changed his appearance in the last few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    As in the legal high?

Embarrassingly, yes. Despite having all these houses in the South of France and these amazing cars and all that rot, he couldn't manage to even get real coke to use to pick up young 20-something girls! :pac:
    shinikins wrote: »
    @ liah-i have a similar opinion of Andrew Strong, in my case he tried to pick me and my sister up in he hospital corridor outside my grandmothers room. She'd just died and we were sobbing, and he wanted to know if we would like to join him in his hotel room for a drink! What the??!!!

Has the man no shame?! I didn't even know how to react when he singled me out from my (male) friend in the smoking room.. trapped me for like an hour regaling me with stories of playing with.. oh crap, I forget now, but some oldschool famous blues singer, and his cars and houses and tours and god knows what else. Then asked me if I'd like to join him in the toilet for some Charge. :rolleyes: Twat.

EDIT: Lol, just remembered he took a picture of me on his iphone. Christ almighty.

His dad and former voice coach Rob Strong plays in Mullingar a lot; prefer his dad but he has his problems, too.

Great voices, though, in fairness.

Has the man no shame?!

His dad and former voice coach Rob Strong plays in Mullingar a lot; prefer his dad but he has his problems, too.

Shame, no! I have to say though, it did provide some light relief for us at the time!
    His father has a much better voice imo, and is a better all round entertainer.

I'd be really interested to see what the group dynamic is now, i seem to recall that at the time of filming The Commitments there were some personality clashes going on, and that was one of the reasons they didn't tour afterwards.

Yeah, I've seen Rob Strong a couple of times, insanely good voice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Erm, that's not Glen, unless he's significantly changed his appearance in the last few months?

I think you'll find it is ...

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00703/Commitments-01_I_703958t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Angeline Ball is still a little roide....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

were all the songs in the movie actually played by the cast?

I heard that the soundtrack was mostly by other musicians

only fact I can find online is that johnny murphy and bronagh gallagher (that played joey lips and bernie) didn't really play/sing

anyone know any more on this?

would love to go though if funds allow!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Wheres the other female singer? I had a crush on her for a long time

Niamh Kavanagh?

magentas wrote: »

only fact I can find online is that johnny murphy and bronagh gallagher (that played joey lips and bernie) didn't really play/sing

anyone know any more on this?

I don't know about Johnny Murphy, but Bronagh Gallagher definitely sang, she's released loads of music over the years and she's a great singer!
    Nolanger wrote: »
    Niamh Kavanagh?

It was Maria Doyle Kennedy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

shinikins wrote: »
    It was Maria Doyle Kennedy!
    Sure, but Niamh Kavanagh sang some of the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daithi72

I saw the lads and lasses play a gig in the Brixton Academy in London at about the time of the original film release . It was fantastic. The place was absolutley rocking .It was and still is the best gig I ever went too . Cant wait to see em all again ....maybe Wilson Pickett will actually turn up ;-)

Nolanger wrote: »
    Sure, but Niamh Kavanagh sang some of the songs.
    True, she sang some of the backing tracks for some scenes, but she wasn't the singing voice of any of the characters.

From IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101605/faq
    ...Jimmy hands out videos on the bus: Destination Anywhere, (orig: The Marvelettes) performed by Niamh Kavanagh

...the girls are practicing under the wash in the yard: Nowhere to Run (orig: Martha Reeves and The Vandellas) performed by Niamh Kavanagh

...Jimmy goes to Bernie's house: Do Right Woman, Do Right Man (orig: Aretha Franklin) performed by Niamh Kavanagh.

Advertisement