Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 30MB questions

• 06-10-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Finally installed UPC BB in the area. Just wondering is there anything I need to know or do to avoid problems.

Few questions!

When should I cancel eircom broadband? Will need it up till I get upc so could I terminate the day before?
    Whats the router like?
    UPC only newly installed in the estate this week, does that increase chances of there being problems with speeds etc?:o
    I will want the 30MB till after xmas but then I will look to downgrade to 15, I heard there is a charge for downgrading, anyone know how much?
    Will want the router upstairs in the attic room, laptop will be connected wireless downstairs, will I lose alot of speed because of this?

Sorry for so many qs:o

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I would wait until you get UPC installed before you cancel Eircom, to be safe.

I think it's 10 or 15 to downgrade.

With the wireless it depends on the distance, thickness of walls and how many machines you have connected. You may get weak / no signal on machines if they're far way / walls (or ceiling) are thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I just ordered also and I'm wondering how long are the cables.
    My pc is about 4 metres from the connection port would I need a longer cable than the provided 1?

Do I need to change any settings on the router?
    DNS and such,turn on counterflow?

I'm doing a self install on Saturday anything I need to know.

I think the ethernet cable from the Modem is 5m long.
    If you get any slow browsing issues, turn off IP flood protection in setup on the modem page(192.168.1.1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

When our area was getting upgraded I saw engineers doing signal tests so I doubt there will be any problems :).

You can run ethernet cables up to 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gavmant

Hey guys, this is my first post here :) Basically just looking for some advice re installing UPC. I currently have Eircom broadband and landline in my hallway and obviously my Sky + is in my living room. UPC have advised we would need to move our landline & Router into the living room beside the tv! I'm just wondering is the installation messy and obviously dont want lots of wires hanging everywhere. Would appreciate some advice here guys.

Thanks a mill

G

UPC don't use phonelines, they use the cable TV network. The reason you'd have to move it is because the modem has the phoneline connections in them. It wouldn't be very messy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gavmant

Oh brilliant that's great the lady on the phone couldnt really explain it to me. Do you have the service? if sois it good? Thanks for the reply

gavmant wrote: »
    Oh brilliant that's great the lady on the phone couldnt really explain it to me. Do you have the service? if sois it good? Thanks for the reply

I Just got 30mb from UPC after being on 5mb with eircom (all the line could handle) and i am loving it.
    Flawless so far.

gavmant wrote: »

Yeah, I have the 30Mb, it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

My self install arrived today
    Rang and got the line activated but no signal,have to wait for upc technician to come
    out on Tuesday.

Self install my arse

Advertisement