Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed tolling of Cork roads.

Options
  • 06-10-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Few other threads about this around the boards. But specifically from a Cork point of view. From todays Irish Independent - story here.
    Other key proposals in the NRA's report include:

Tolling access roads to the capital including the M7/N7 from Cork and Limerick. This would hit one of the busiest commuter roads in the country.
    Tolls on the N11 from Wicklow and N2 from Monaghan.
    The Jack Lynch Tunnel in Cork and southern ring road are also earmarked for a charge.
    Tolls on all new major road schemes including the Gort to Tuam road and Arklow/Rathnew upgrade.
    Increasing toll charges across the network.

Driving around around the city could get a lot more expensive! So annoying considering we don't have a fancy public transport system and the fact these roads have long since been built and paid for.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

According to a few journalists covering this I've spoken to - this is the usual ****e we listen to before budgets which we all panic over, but are never implemented. They've tried to toll the tunnel a few times now, but because it was EU funded they weren't allowed IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

According to a few journalists covering this I've spoken to - this is the usual ****e we listen to before budgets which we all panic over, but are never implemented. They've tried to toll the tunnel a few times now, but because it was EU funded they weren't allowed IIRC.

I hope you're right. I use the tunnel about 10 times a week. It would add considerably to my transport costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Bullbars going on the front of my Clio anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it would be a crazy idea to toll the tunnel, it was built to bypass the city if they toll it im sure a lot of people will stop using it,
    and even if people continue to use it it will end up like the m50, the toll bridge there was causing mayhem, until they removed it!

edit: it says on the wikipedia page for the tunnel there was political opposition towards tolling it and because it was close to the city people would avoid the toll by going through the city centre,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lynch_Tunnel

bladebrew wrote: »
    and even if people continue to use it it will end up like the m50, the toll bridge there was causing mayhem, until they removed it!

Aside from Paintdoctor's comments above that it may all just be a "softening up" approach by the government, they could easily just make it like that M50 in Dublin where you use an electronic thingy on the dash and get charged as you go through. The e-toll device.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

why should the people of cork actually allow the roads to be tolled, all we have to do is prevent the cameras etc been erected...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

SeaFields wrote: »
    Aside from Paintdoctor's comments above that it may all just be a "softening up" approach by the government, they could easily just make it like that M50 in Dublin where you use an electronic thingy on the dash and get charged as you go through. The e-toll device.

christ! dont give them that idea!!,
    if you are not registered its a nuisance!

im not sure how this would happen though, it seems at the moment to be a suggestion by the nra, i dont think there is a politician in the country that would support it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

They cannot put a toll on the tunnel as said above. They cannot toll the south link either until at least the sarsfield and bandon flyovers are in place and the n22 upgraded to motorway standard as in a motorway to Macroom

bladebrew wrote: »
    im not sure how this would happen though, it seems at the moment to be a suggestion by the nra, i dont think there is a Fianna Fail politician in the country that wouldn't support it,

Fixed your post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,276 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A crap public transport system in Cork and now a proposal to toll roads in and around the city....what a country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

From PROC over a week ago:

Jack Lynch Tunnel To Be Tolled

You read it here first.

They're going to pretend that the toll will be needed in order to fund the construction of a new interchange at Dunkettle.

This is a live proposal, and will happen.

Unless people grow a pair and kick up holy murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

From PROC over a week ago:

Jack Lynch Tunnel To Be Tolled

You read it here first.

They're going to pretend that the toll will be needed in order to fund the construction of a new interchange at Dunkettle.

This is a live proposal, and will happen.

Unless people grow a pair and kick up holy murder.

Whats wrong with the existing interchange at dunkettle?

I use the tunnel about 20 times a week and this would suck if it was brought in.

I actually think its just a softening up exercise so that when they increase tax on fuel we will all be delighted that at least the roads wont be tolled and will accept the increased tax on petrol with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Whats wrong with the existing interchange at dunkettle?
    I use the tunnel about 20 times a week and this would suck if it was brought in.

I actually think its just a softening up exercise so that when they increase tax on fuel we will all be delighted that at least the roads wont be tolled and will accept the increased tax on petrol with a smile.

The problem with Dunkettle is this, you have the main Dublin Cork road & the South link road from the tunnel and you have traffic from the east that are not going through the tunnel all meeting in the middle of a roundabout. That is the problem - if you need to travel through the roundabout at peak times you will know all about it.

On tolling - this is kite flying - also this is only a report that was requested by the deparment of transport to see what roads could be tolled, not which will be tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If there is a toll put on it then they wont put it as high as the tolls around the rest of the country. Id say it would be €1 MAX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Would it not just work out cheaper or make more sense to increase road tax, all the millions there'd be spent on implementing all these tolls around the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Easiest would be to increase tax on petrol & diesel. Huge money to be made from a few cents extra on the litre

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

I could live with an increase in diesel as that fluctuates all over the place anyway. The more I think about it and read about it appears to be just a kite flying exercise to test public opinion on the subject or to distract from the draconian budget due this December. Unlikely to happen I think. Impractical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ The tax is already through the roof on fuel. We already pay too much in road tax, and now those shower of fúcking cúnts want to hit us with yet another overhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ The tax is already through the roof on fuel. We already pay too much in road tax, and now those shower of fúcking cúnts want to hit us with yet another overhead?

The country has 18 billion more going out than coming in. What do you expect them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Hogzy wrote: »
    The country has 18 billion more going out than coming in. What do you expect them to do?

Resign? And then spend every day apologising to us for the mess they made of our country.

• Advertisement

God love us. We are being screwed in every hole in our bodies, yet not a single person is being held accountable. It it too easy to fúck us all over again. The fact is we are paying too much for use of our sub standard road system as it is via our motor tax, so why in Gods name should we pay even more?

Will you say the same when our taxes go up yet again in December, and when our PRSI means even less?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Tolling the tunnel? What a ridiculous idea, I mostly use the tunnel to visit ppl in Little Island or gp to KFC/pizza hut :D, paying a toll to visit there just seems crazy! As someone else said the tunnel was put there to divert traffic from the city, it would be crazy to toll it!

Sure why don't they just toll the Kinsale roundabout flyoever while they're at it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

babo9 wrote: »
    Sure why don't they just toll the Kinsale roundabout flyoever while they're at it :rolleyes:

sssshhh, be quiet will ya, don't be giving them ideas!
    take a knife to the HSE, there's about 2 billion to be saved right there. Lose 10% of the public service staff count, they are not needed in all areas.

And do away with Flexi Time. Jesus H, I know a few girls who seem to be off more than on due to flexi time. They will come in an hour early, leave late, play on facebook for the 2 hours and claim the time. Bloody hell like.

Lose 10% of the public service staff count, they are not needed in all areas.

More than 10% of them should be shown the door, won't be done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Maybe they could try not spending as much money!!!!!!

I know when i got a pay cut i had to spend less:mad:

Advertisement