Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Question

• 06-10-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Who handled anglo-irish relations better Cosgrave or De Valera?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What is your own opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I can't figure it out and I need to write an essay about for tomorrow...plus one of my pets died and I am really upset and don't feel like using my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I can't figure it out and I need to write an essay about for tomorrow...plus one of my pets died and I am really upset and don't feel like using my brain.

Really sorry about your pet.

As for your original question, there is no right or wrong answer. It all depends on how you argue it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

There's no right answer as the Randy hinted. Just pick a side and run with it. That essays not going to come up anyway...

Blah, thanks. Haven't a clue where to start or what to write though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

theowen wrote: »
    There's no right answer as the Randy hinted. Just pick a side and run with it. That essays not going to come up anyway...

Extremely flawed argument.

The OP should do the question regardless if it won't come up. It's about learning essay structure, the topic, cohesion, decision making and how to answer the question. If going by your logic the history syllabus would be scant and hardly covering anything worth covering.

Extremely flawed argument.

The OP should do the question regardless if it won't come up. It's about learning essay structure, the topic, cohesion, decision making and how to answer the question. If going by your logic the history syllabus would be scant and hardly covering anything worth covering.
    No question comes up two years running sure. Why doesn't he do a question that may come up, thus learning something useful, as well as the structure etc?

No question comes up two years running sure. Why doesn't he do a question that may come up, thus learning something useful, as well as the structure etc?

But it's an assigned question and will be marked. Best to do it to the best of their ability to see how they're doing in the broader sense of the course. No point not putting effort in if something isn't going to come up; nothing is learned then.

But it's an assigned question and will be marked. Best to do it to the best of their ability to see how they're doing in the broader sense of the course. No point not putting effort in if something isn't going to come up; nothing is learned then.
    I agree that he should do probably do it to get his teacher off his back. But in general, the art of getting an A in history is about knowing what to learn and what to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not true. Whilst the exact same topic may not be asked, you could get a question on Dev or Cosgrave. Or you may be asked to examine the C na G or FF governments separately. For those questions, Anglo-Irish relations will be needed. Not to mention that the Economic War in the 1930s can be used for the Anglo-Irish relations topic and the economy question. So you're completely wrong.

For the OP, look at the successes and failures of the two leaders.

Cosgrave - Statue of Westminster was the highlight for him, BUT he failed to withdraw Ireland from the Commonwealth, saying that it was in our own interest to stay in it (military and economic reasons). He did nothing to get the 6 counties back.

Dev - dismantled the Anglo-Irish Treaty, introduced new constitution. Kept us neutral during WWII. He did nothing to get the 6 counties back. Neutrality distanced ourselves from Britain (we became isolated afterwards).

• Advertisement

Did it, got it back and I got a B so not too bad

I agree that he should do probably do it to get his teacher off his back. But in general, the art of getting an A in history is about knowing what to learn and what to ignore.

If only I knew back then. ;)

Good job OP.

Advertisement