Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 120 Fan Expo

• 06-10-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Anyone going to this?
    I was really looking forward to this based on fan reviews of the last two expos. BUT after looking at the list of attendees I'm gutted.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship® organization, in partnership with Reed Exhibitions, has confirmed 23 fighters who will be signing autographs and interacting with fans at the Earls Court Exhibition Centre on Friday, October 15 and Saturday, October 16. The event will be part of a huge UFC weekend in the British capital, with UFC 120 taking place on the evening of October 16.

The names released today are: Ultimate Fighter season 9 finalist Andre Winner; lightweight contender Cole Miller, UFC Middleweight Title challenger Demian Maia, Duane Ludwig, Efrain Escudero, No1 lightweight contender Gray Maynard, Johny Hendricks, Welterweight Title challenger Jon Fitch, Light heavyweight sensation Jon Jones, Top heavyweight contender Junior Dos Santos, the ever-popular Marcus Davis, England’s own Nick Osipczak and Paul Kelly, former middleweight champion and light heavyweight contender Rich Franklin, TUF 9 champion Ross Pearson, heavyweight cult favourite Roy Nelson, elite light heavyweight Ryan Bader, former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk, heavyweight prospect Stefan Struve, original ‘Ultimate Fighter’ finalist Stephan Bonnar, England’s own Terry Etim, welterweight title challenger Thiago Alves and former PRIDE FC Champions and MMA icon Wanderlei Silva.

Its OK but still do not know why but was expecting more of a champion based list

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'll be heading to this. I'm quite excited to meet Rich Franklin although i heard from a friend of a friend (reliable i know) that Ariani was supposed to be there aswell. A friend of mine went to see the Expo in Las Vegas and he sadi the queues for each fighter were massive so don't expect to see every fighter. The queue for Wanderlai would be endless I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

I'm going to take this in before the event, can't wait to meet Wanderlei Silva even if the queue is massive. Anyone know how handy it is to get from Earls Court to the O2 and how long it would take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

p to the e wrote: »
    I'll be heading to this. I'm quite excited to meet Rich Franklin although i heard from a friend of a friend (reliable i know) that Ariani was supposed to be there aswell. A friend of mine went to see the Expo in Las Vegas and he sadi the queues for each fighter were massive so don't expect to see every fighter. The queue for Wanderlai would be endless I'd imagine.

Ariyanni will be there the Friday at the Hayabusa booth according to her twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I'm going to take this in before the event, can't wait to meet Wanderlei Silva even if the queue is massive. Anyone know how handy it is to get from Earls Court to the O2 and how long it would take?

Hi

I checked up on that. Basically you get the Green Line Tube from Earl's Court to Westminster Station (bout 3 stops) then change over to the grey Tube line and go from Westminster to North Greenwhich (about 7 stops).

I'd say it'll take bout half hour but make sure you get a good Tube Map of London so you don't miss the change over station

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Oh cheers for the directions thing btw. Just in case I do go. Dunno why but I really thought Rampage would be there, given his connections with training in the UK and what not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

ya i heard that the queues to get photos and autographs can take up to 2hrs for the big name fighters, still cool to see them though anyway, havent got a ticket for the expo yet but hopefully it'll be no problem getting 1 there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

ormondprop wrote: »
    ya i heard that the queues to get photos and autographs can take up to 2hrs for the big name fighters, still cool to see them though anyway, havent got a ticket for the expo yet but hopefully it'll be no problem getting 1 there

I think you have to get them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Gray maynard, sean sherk, ryan bader, thiago alves, jon fitch, jon jones , junior dos santos , wanderlei silva, rich franklin etc etc and you're "gutted"?? Hard man to please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm going, booked for the training session with Couture too.

I'm in Fight Club so I get in to the Expo early, should give me an early spot in at least 1 line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm in Fight Club so I get in to the Expo early, should give me an early spot in at least 1 line.

Choose wisely my friend!

And as far as i know you can purchase tickets at the event.

• Advertisement

Oh cheers for the directions thing btw. Just in case I do go. Dunno why but I really thought Rampage would be there, given his connections with training in the UK and what not.
    TBH the best thing Rampage could do is get away from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

According to another poster who posts here regularly. Rampage is supposedly a right arse hole to the fans and I have heard other bad reports about him aswell.

unknown13 wrote: »
    According to another poster who posts here regularly. Rampage is supposedly a right arse hole to the fans and I have heard other bad reports about him aswell.
    I heard a load of those things aswell but I have to say he was nothing but polite and accomodating when I met him the morning of the Forrest fight.Signed my program,complimented my name cause he never heard the spelling before :pac: and him and Juanito talked about the different fights for a few minutes.
    He could just be a happy person after breakfast :pac:

I've met Rampage twice and he was a grumpy sod both times. Turn a TV camera on him and he's Mr Personality laughing and joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Randy added= WIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

was at it yesterday, i thought it would be bigger but still cool to see some of the fighters, didnt bother getting any autographs, the queues were ridiculous, i'll try upload a few pics when i get home, cant wait for the fights tonight:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

ormondprop wrote: »
    was at it yesterday, i thought it would be bigger but still cool to see some of the fighters, didnt bother getting any autographs, the queues were ridiculous, i'll try upload a few pics when i get home, cant wait for the fights tonight:D

Nice to hear OP, ya the queues may have been very long as it was the first one in London. Enjoy the fights.

Expo was good, didn't bother queuing though so i spent 3 hours myself on the Saturday while the lads Q'd for Randy. :pac:

One thing..... it would be nice if people PLEASE stopped asking about the UFC coming back here, it gets asked EVERY time someone takes an interview.
    Heard it asked at one of the Q+A's on the Friday and then again to Lorenzo three questions in on the Saturday, and they were two of the only ones i had a good listen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Expo was good, didn't bother queuing though so i spent 3 hours myself on the Saturday while the lads Q'd for Randy. :pac:

One thing..... it would be nice if people PLEASE stopped asking about the UFC coming back here, it gets asked EVERY time someone takes an interview.
    Heard it asked at one of the Q+A's on the Friday and then again to Lorenzo three questions in on the Saturday, and they were two of the only ones i had a good listen too.

And what were the answers? My guess is "Sure, we loved Dublin and will be back again soon"

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Hi,
    I was at the Expo on both days myself and the Q&A session with Dana was interesting. Regarding him being asked is the UFC coming back to Dublin I believe his response was honest. He basically said he thinks Dublin is a fantastic fight city and he definitely intends coming back to Dublin in the future. However he did say that he's got various other markets on his mind to crack in the near future, such as India and possibly France.
    However I do believe his answers were truthful because a Swedish fan asked him are the UFC planning to come to Sweden in the near future and instead of just saying 'yeah we definitely intent to go to Sweden' (or any other market for that reason) he said no he doesn't intend to visit Sweden any time soon. In this respect at least he was honest.

• Advertisement

Damn sure if I ever get the chance to ask Dana anything at a Q&A again it won't be about coming back to Ireland, it will be to ask for free stuff!

During the Q&A he gave away;
    • A seat beside the ring girls for the night at 120
    • An upgrade to Ultimate VIP at the Expo for a woman and her husband (value £750 each)
    • 3 tickets for UFC 121
    • A seat beside him for the Bisping vs Akiyama fight for a woman who asked
    • A seat beside him for the next event in Ireland for an Irish guy who said he owed him because he lied about when he was returning to Ireland.
    So bet your arse I'll be asking him for a new car or my mortgage paid off...

PS, Dana was fairly honest though. He said they had been trying for a while to return to Ireland but they had a lot on and just couldn't guarantee it. It was annoying though, there must have been half a dozen people asking "when are you coming to - Paris/Italy/Ireland/Scotland/France/South Korea/Japan/Brazil etc. What do they expect? "Oh Ireland? No problem, 1st Saturday in February OK with you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Beginning to take the piss wit all the people asking for freebies

scudzilla wrote: »
    Beginning to take the piss wit all the people asking for freebies

Don't care, if you were at the front of the line for a Q&A would you not ask for ringside seats if you were pretty sure he'd say yes?

By the end though some girl came up and asked for about 3 things that had already been done and Dana just said no. The whole crowd booed the hell out of her too, great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 unknownjd

Did anyone grab some pics of the Octagon at the Fan Expo? The queue was huge!!

unknownjd wrote: »
    Did anyone grab some pics of the Octagon at the Fan Expo? The queue was huge!!

I got in half an hour before the crowd coz I'm in Fight Club, so got a pic with barely any queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 unknownjd

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I got in half an hour before the crowd coz I'm in Fight Club, so got a pic with barely any queue.

Awesome!! Can you post some pics?? I was desperate to see what it was like ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SalamaBegum

Ha Ha! Just want to say that I am that girl who got the ringside tickets to the main event at UFC 120! It was amazing, also on Dana's Blog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8GJWakHo6Q

Advertisement