Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google maps

• 06-10-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭

somebody posted a link resently to a Google maps program where you could just click on the corners of a field to get the area. Could somebody post it again please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

"Street View" is now available too for a lot of areas. They did our road, sometime last year. Photos available the last few weeks. A lot of local people caught on it. Gas!

You just click on Street view in the 'Layers' options and enter the bubbles along the road. Gives a panoramic view that you can rotate around.

Here's a sample of Bunratty Castle;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

pakalasa wrote: »
    "Street View" is now available too for a lot of areas. They did our road, sometime last year. Photos available the last few weeks. A lot of local people caught on it. Gas!

You just click on Street view in the 'Layers' options and enter the bubbles along the road. Gives a panoramic view that you can rotate around.
    ;

they done our area sometime before the local elections, .. all the posters are in situ, we are lucky we are in a fair distance from the road but I printed off one on my neighbour's yard which to say the least wasn't too clean, I told him the council and the reps boys will be on to him.

"Aya fe** you and that google yoke, you would be better off dosing them sheep of yours, Jaysus the reps Fu$$ers won't see it will they? "

just couldn't keep a straight face :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Thanks Johngalway! thats exactly the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Sorry to jump onto the back of this thread - but i have coordinates that i am trying to locate in google - but it wont let me enter them , no matter how i put them in. the coordinates are :

E182556.786 N 296755.213

Can anyone help??:(

thanks ,
    Jo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Type it as follows:
    Put North or South first, and East or West second.
    Type + for North or - for South.
    Type + for East or - for West.
    Put decimal point after the degrees.

So in your example:
    E182556.786 N296755.213

First swap around E and N like this:
    N296755.213 E182556.786

Then rewrite it like this:
    +29.6755213 +18.2556786

So it seems to be somewhere in Lybia, is that correct?

- - -

Edit: Disregard this post,
    as they are not latitude and longitude coordinates, but map grid references in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 timothyl

I get a place in cloonshagan near a lake
    South of Boyle. I have mapping software that does this. Don't know of any free software. I dont use google so don't know how if it does it.

timothyl wrote: »
    South of Boyle. I have mapping software that does this. Don't know of any free software. I dont use google so don't know how if it does it.

If you are referring to jocotty's coordinates in post number 6, then it can't be in Ireland, as all of Ireland is West of Greenwich.
    Or are you referring to jgalway's link http://www.acme.com/planimeter in post number 2? If so, yes, that works for calculating the area between a number of points that you click on.

- - -

as they are not latitude and longitude coordinates, but map grid references in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

somebody posted a link resently to a Google maps program where you could just click on the corners of a field to get the area. Could somebody post it again please?
    Any of these;

http://spatial.dcenr.gov.ie/imf/imf.jsp?site=GSI_Simple

http://www.acme.com/planimeter/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 timothyl

emanresu wrote: »

If you are referring to jocotty's coordinates in post number 6, then it can't be in Ireland, as all of Ireland is West of Greenwich.
    Or are you referring to jgalway's link http://www.acme.com/planimeter in post number 2? If so, yes, that works for calculating the area between a number of points that you click on.

- - -

West of Greenwich. What are you on about? Please explain.

I assumed jocottys coordinates are Irish national grid and not itm or lat long.

• Advertisement

West of Greenwich. What are you on about? Please explain.
    I assumed jocottys coordinates are Irish national grid and not itm or lat long.

I did edit both of my posts at 13:03 with an explanation, when I realised my mistake. My editing even shows up in your quote of my post. And I did thank your post also at that time when I realised you were correct.

There was also another thread on this matter today, and someone else in that thread also thought they were latitude and longitude coordinates at first.

Advertisement