Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Essay

• 06-10-2010 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I was wondering if you copied an essay, short story, etc, off the internet or a schoolbook, changing around a couple of sentences ofcrouse, would the examiner penalise you?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

If it's a published story/essay/article then that would be plagiarism or something and all I know is in an examiner's eyes thats bad..!

However if it's something you get of a 'notes' website (skoool.ie etc) or somebody here gives you etc.. then I would see no problem.. Like learning an essay from your text book really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You're kind of wasting your time. Its not like Irish, where the same topics come up every year, you could get anything. Learning a page of swahili would be of as much use unfortunately. Keep practicing essays, get your teacher to correct them until you bring the grade up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What she said. ^^
    Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    If it's a published story/essay/article then that would be plagiarism or something and all I know is in an examiner's eyes thats bad..!

However if it's something you get of a 'notes' website (skoool.ie etc) or somebody here gives you etc.. then I would see no problem.. Like learning an essay from your text book really!
    It's plagiarism either way, and the examiner isn't interested in marking some other teacher's essay, s/he's interested in marking YOUR essay.

And yes, of course it will be penalised if spotted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I learned a short story off (obviously not a published one) and I got 96/100 in the LC. Definitely helped me as my P.II was dreadful and would recommend if your English isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

THFC wrote: »
    I learned a short story off (obviously not a published one) and I got 96/100 in the LC. Definitely helped me as my P.II was dreadful and would recommend if your English isn't great.

Then you were incredibly lucky it came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You can learn off an unpublished short story and reproduce it in the exam but it has to be 100% relevant to the title given and brilliant. A massive percentage of students lose marks every year by simply throwing down a story onto the page word for word, without any reference to the title.

The examiners have to mark each story on its own merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Snap2010

You'd only get penalised if it was a well known publication like Romeo and Juliet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

You'd be as well off pissing against the wind. Your going to get caught, and penalised to a large extent. Your style of writing will be different as well as the fact it will be irrelevant to the title.

Unfortunately, practise is what counts. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Snap2010 wrote: »
    You'd only get penalised if it was a well known publication like Romeo and Juliet

Ridiculous. Examiners have an eye for this. They'll spot a different style of writing for example.

OP don't bother. It's a most serious academic offence and if caught won't be worth it.

Advertisement