Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want out of an Eircom Contract??

Options
  • 06-10-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey,

I have been with eircom since Jan of this year for Internet and phone, (the only reason i went with them was because in my old apartment they were the only company that could provide it, as our TV line was so poor)

I recently moved about 5 months ago, and on moving eircom explained to me that moving address starts the contract all over again, so i am now only 5 months in on my contract but I want out.

I can get way faster and better packages from UPC etc for cheaper including TV/Phone/Internet.

How can I get out of this contract without paying the rest? what are the consequences? I dont want to pay the rest of the terrible contract which would mean 7 months bills in one. Could i just stop the direct debit?

Any help or advice would be great

thank you very much :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Stopping the direct debit would not be the brightest thing to do - it would mean that you would still be liable for the debt.

Your best bet is to try and find some loophole or change in their T&Cs that would allow you to exit the contract.

Otherwise, your only other option is to pay for the remaining 7 months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A direct debit is only a method of paying bills nothing more.

If you want to break the contract with Eircom early the only legitimate reason would be poor service and even then you would need a paper record where you pointed out your problems to them and how they didnt respond.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote: »
    only legitimate reason would be poor service and even then you would need a paper record where you pointed out your problems to them and how they didnt respond.

Yep, a series of fault reports that they don't fix would be the reason. You then break your contract because it is not "fit for the purpose" you bought it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Moving house restarts your contract? what a crock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

chap from cork rang me from upc (cold call) asking me to change to them -

i told him i was contracted to eircom-

he told me it only costs 50 euros to break that contract ,i never followed it up but if you want to change to upc might be worth giving them a call as im sure they would know all the loopholes to get away from eircom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

knighted_1 wrote: »
    chap from cork rang me from upc (cold call) asking me to change to them -

i told him i was contracted to eircom-

he told me it only costs 50 euros to break that contract ,i never followed it up but if you want to change to upc might be worth giving them a call as im sure they would know all the loopholes to get away from eircom

Lies pure and simple:rolleyes:

Never ever rely on what a rep from any other company tells you about breaking a contract with an isp. All they are concerned about is the business and not the consequences for you.

Your contract with any company is your responsiblity - and inform yourself in a responsible way of what is entailed in that contract. Dont hear what you want to hear from an over eager sales person.

You can rest assured that the UPC rep concerned would have a clear recollection of never having had any such conversation.

I have direct recent experience of this. UPC are claiming that a call from one of their reps which is registered as received on my phone, and the number recorded is a well known UPC number, never took place!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

knighted_1 wrote: »

Never ever ever trust a sales person no matter the company.
    He lied to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Cabaal wrote: »
    Never ever ever trust a sales person no matter the company.
    He lied to you

To right !

A Smart Telecom rep tried to tell me their internet was this and that but I knew different. So I signed up with her for the crack. I knew all she wanted was a signature for her commission and she would be gone like a shot.

As soon as she was gone I double checked her claims and found she was full of it. I tried to ring them for two days, to cancel, but NO ONE answered the phones to talk to me. So I faxed AIB with the details and instructions to bar the DD when it was presented.

A week later THEY rang me to say there was something wrong with the DD.

I gave them what for and then hung up.

Advertisement