Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interleaving to FastPath

• 06-10-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on here and I need some advice,

I'm a customer with vodafone broadband, I'm on their ''vodafone at home up to 8mb'' package,

Now I have always suffered high pings, generally around 100ms to the dublin server on speedtest.net, (I live in Limerick) Recently I have been trying to get those reduced what with the release of Black Ops coming up. :)

I have contacted vodafone support, they reduced my speed to 6mb, and put me on 'low interleaving' this has helped a little, I now get 90ms ping to the dublin server :P. I get 70ms ping to london and galway, with 80ms to Limerick.

I have followed their instructions for manually assigning DNS, and there are splitters on the phone lines, and all that jazz,

now here is what I would like some help with, I have requested to be put on FastPath, but vodafone say I will need my speed further reduced for this, Is this really necessary? Here are my line stats copied straight from the router and I'm not too sure what to make of them.

Line Mode G.DMT spacer.gifspacer.gifLatency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:11:48:19 spacer.gifspacer.gifLine Coding Trellis On

Statistics Downstream Upstream spacer.gifspacer.gifLine Rate 6144 Kbps 512 Kbps spacer.gifspacer.gifNoise Margin 20.2 dB 14.0 dB spacer.gifspacer.gifLine Attenuation 6.0 dB 3.0 dB spacer.gifspacer.gifOutput Power -0.1 dBm -1.6 dBm spacer.gif

Are they good or bad, or suitable for FastPath without a reduction in speed?

I would much rather be put on FastPath to have my ping times reduced as low as possible.

My router's couldnt be the source of the high pings because i have ports opened and the firewall is turned off, and my xbox is in the DMZ, just to be on the safe side.

Any help from you would be much appreciated,
    Thanks
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

crappy router can be a source of high ping mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 studentjoe

crappy router can be a source of high ping mate...

well the ping from my computer to my routers is 1ms,

I have a Voyager 210 which is connected to the phone line, then a TP-Link WR941N which goes to the voyager, I would say they are pretty reliable and have never given dropped the connect or given me trouble. Good wireless signal from the TP-Link too :)

Speedtest.net is not an accurate test for ping performance. Much better to use the command prompt for such tests.

Karsini wrote: »
    Speedtest.net is not an accurate test for ping performance. Much better to use the command prompt for such tests.

Thank you, How exactly do I take a ping test on cmd. Do you mean ''tracert <ip adress here>''?

Also Are my line stats good of bad? is 20db down and 14bd up good for a noise margin?

If I was switched onto FastPath right now without any adjustments would my line keep on loosing connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

studentjoe wrote: »
    Thank you, How exactly do I take a ping test on cmd. Do you mean ''tracert <ip adress here>''?

Also Are my line stats good of bad? is 20db down and 14bd up good for a noise margin?

If I was switched onto FastPath right now without any adjustments would my line keep on loosing connection?
    Your line stats look good. just open a command prompt and type
    "ping boards.ie"
    and tell us what is returns as pings

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Your line stats look good. just open a command prompt and type
    "ping boards.ie"
    and tell us what is returns as pings

Done:

Min. 33ms Max 36ms Avg. 34ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Done:

Well there you go :P

thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Done:

Your connection is fine, low 30's is what anyone on dsl normally gets (on average)

C:\Users\Colm>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging loadbalancer.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 34ms

Advertisement