Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really urgent

Options
  • 06-10-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

My wedding cake needs to be delivered to the hotel...........tomorrow :eek:

Is there anywhere I can pick up 50, already nicely iced cupcakes? In Dublin, Kildare, carlow. Obviously this is an unexpected expense so I'd like to spend no more than a euro a cake. Possible?

Or any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Try PMing DreamC or Spadina on boards, they are in the biz, and might be on for some late night baking if the price was right?

Alternatively, M&S have started to do cupcakes that are nicely iced in a range of flavours and colours, 4 in a pack. Perhaps hit all of the M&S in town to get enough?

Or...get baking. 50 won't take you all night, I can give you a recipe or do a quick search here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm here with my sister and we are considering going to a few tesco's and dunnes, buying a few fairy cakes and then icing them ourselves. But I've never iced anything before. If I get the right piping bag, shouldn't I be able to do a nice swirl on top?

I'm really panicking!!

Ok I'm gonna try to help you out here...if you are gonna do this yourself you might as well bake them too.

Vanilla Cupcakes/buns

Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C

500g butter (room temp)
    500g caster sugar
    1tbsp vanilla extract (not essence!)
    8 large eggs
    600g cream flour (odlums, blue pk) seived with 2 tsp of baking powder.
    Equipment: 2 x 12 hole bun tins, 50 paper cases

Mix together the butter and sugar and vanilla until it's pale yellow. In another bowl sift together the baking powder and flour. Add the eggs to the butter/sugar mix one at a time, followed by a tbsp of the flour after each egg. Then mix in the remaining flour.

• Get your two 12 hole bun tins and fill with paper cases.
    • Scoop in a heaped tablespoon of the mixture.
    • Be careful to not over fill.
    • Pop the 24 buns into the top two levels of your preheated oven.
    • Then put your bowl of mix in the fridge covered with cling film.
    • Bake buns for 18 mins.
    • Take out to cool on a wire rack if possible, if not a teatowel will do.
    • Fill the following 24 the same.
    • 18 mins bake again.

Now you have 48. Do two more. 50!

Leave to cool completely before icing. Finding the icing recipe now...

This will make a lot of icing, you'll need it!

Buttercream icing
    700g of butter
    300g shortening (trex) helps keep it white-ish
    4tsp vanilla extract
    2400g of icing sugar
    8 tablespoons of milk

You are going to need a good handmixer or some strong elbows for this. Everything at room temp. Mix the butter and shortening with vanilla and icing sugar, then milk. Mix until everything is combined and it is pale pale yellow. No lumps. Cover with a wet teatowel until you are ready to use.

Tip: use freezer/sanwich bags as icing bags, cheaper, easier to find late at night!

As for icing techniques, if you can get your hands on a nozzle set at this stage best of luck, otherwise a large hole at the end of a bag will work, it wont be as pretty but you could put some silver balls on them to disguise them!

Better just to show you how on youtube here...

Best of luck. Dunnes and tescos will have all you need for the above. Keep an eye out for the Sucra 3kg bags of icing sugar, you'll need it! :D

If you decide against making them yourself, I'll give M&S a +1 they have lovely cupcakes that are about 4.50 for a pack of 4 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I coulda done it but I'm too far away I'd say, and probably not for a euro each I'm afraid :)

I'd say your best bet is to either go to Tesco/Dunnes etc or a local bakery first thing in the morning, one that would have lots baked and ready for the day? Doing it yourself is a good idea but depending on what equipment you have good swirls can be tricky, and it'd be easier on you to buy them instead of having the hassle of making them just before your wedding. I don't know that you'd get them for €1.00 each in a bakery, somewhere that bakes them in bulk might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Eviledna wrote: »
    Try PMing DreamC or Spadina on boards, they are in the biz, and might be on for some late night baking if the price was right?

Thanks for your recommendation, Eviledna ;). Though the price of 1 euro is not right :cool:

I would recommend M&S too. I do not know how "nice" their cupcakes are but it would not be far from your target price. If you want them look any nicer and decide to put them on display, you could get fancy cup cake cases in some sugarcraft shop like Kitchen Compliments or Cake-box in Dublin. Just make sure that they fit the size of your cup cakes.

You're welcome! Hurrah I got my username back :D To celebrate:images?q=tbn:36gMMchytDuu0M:

Anyway back on topic, I can vouch for the tastiness of the M&S cupcakes, they are a nice butter sponge with a decent amount of buttercream icing.
    Best you can get in a fix.

But nothing is as good as home made :)

Dying to hear how you got on, Whispered. Happy nuptuals!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I totally forgot about this thread. I was scanning and saw my title and thought "what cake and pie related urgency could I possibly have had!". Then it all came flooding back to me.

We found really delicious cupcakes for €4 for a pack of 4 in dunnes. In a light cream and some chocolate brown. Perfect colours.

Advertisement