Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Files & Settings Transfer Wizard Problem

• 06-10-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Im not sure if this is the right section for this, Im not usually in this corner of boards! However I have a problem with the FAST Wizard.

So it all started when I got a virus on the computer. I googled around and it was a pretty nasty one, after getting the computer back up and running with some sort of functionality I decided to just do a fresh install of windows. Before I could do this I wanted to get what files I could off the laptop, but because the virus disabled drap & drop functionality the only way i could do this was using the FAST wizard. So i started that and loaded the files onto my TB hard drive. That created a lot of .dat files, around 2gb in size each, and the total size was around 37gb (which I think is a bit more than the total size of the files themselves for some reason?)

Anyway, I reinstalled windows, made sure my antivirus was all up to date and that, and the computer is running better than ever. So I went to restore the files from the hard drive, using the FAST wizard again. When I was putting them on the first time it took quite a while so I set it running over night.

Long story short it took about 14 hours to complete, but when I checked the files it turned out that while it copied back the folders into the same places (ie same hierarchy), they were all empty! About 90% of the files were missing (a few folders still had files in them)

Anybody know what to do? I could run the wizard again and hope it works this time. Or else is there any other way to extract the files from the .dat files maybe?

Any help appreciated and thanks for reading the longer than expected post!

Advertisement