Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with installing graphics card please

Options
  • 06-10-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi guys im new to upgrading so please bare with me

im trying to stick a graphics card into an old PC iv got
    when its in and I turn the PC on nothing happens,
    the fan just starts spinning at full speed
    windows doesnt load, the monitor has no signal
    and the mouse and keyboard dont turn on too

The PC is this
    Motherboard is this with 2GB DDR RAM
    and im trying to put an ATI Radeon X1950 GT 256mb AGP into it

iv been told I can use this card with my system
    iv no idea what to do

Thanks,
    Dave.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Did you plug the Molex connectors into the back of the card? You can try resetting the CMOS too but after those two things and making sure its well seated in the slot I'd say your PSU isn't up to the card - IIRC X1950GTs were pretty thirsty back in the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Solitaire wrote: »
    Did you plug the Molex connectors into the back of the card? You can try resetting the CMOS too but after those two things and making sure its well seated in the slot I'd say your PSU isn't up to the card - IIRC X1950GTs were pretty thirsty back in the day :o
    Ahh they werent that bad relative to the XT anyway, according to the gpu power chart( i know now 100% accurate but still ) it shows about 40W more power than the 5200 - http://mark.zoomcities.com/images/gfx/GFXpowerchartbybrandgen.png
    Which i would imagine would be close enough. I cant find the PSU info for that Advent but ive see others running 9800 Pros with it( i.e. requires slightly more power than a 5200 but less than a 1950 )

But i agree, most likely the molex not connected

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Broken link is broken :p

And there's a few other issues there as well so it might not be the PSU anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Broken link is broken :p

And there's a few other issues there as well so it might not be the PSU anyway:)
    lol, here just in case - http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Flacks aka Dave

Did you plug the Molex connectors into the back of the card?

sorry about this thread I was rushing and wasnt thinking :rolleyes:,
    but yeah I forgot about the molex connectors, remembered just after posting
    lol I feel like such an idiot

anyhow its up and running works fine so far, I put dawn of war 2 on at medium and it runs prefect,
    I shall test it properly tomorrow

Thanks for the help

*EDIT*
    oh one more thing,
    could you guys recommend a new fan for the motherboard?

like I said im new to upgrading so iv no idea what to look for

*EDIT2*
    oh and a cheap sound card because the onboard sound is all messed up,
    It works in media player, VLC, Itunes ect, all games iv got bar one dawn of war 2
    but doesnt work in web browsers, windows start up doesnt make a sound
    and I cant use any audio equ. like mic's

Thanks,
    Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Check that it's set as your default audio device in Control Panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Flacks aka Dave

Check that it's set as your default audio device in Control Panel.

It cannot be selected,
    When I go to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties,
    in the Volume tab everything is grayed out and it says "No Audio Device",
    in the Audio and Voice tabs it only gives me the option to use Modem #1 Line Playback (emulated)
    and in Device Manager\Sound,video,gamecontrollers\Realtek AC'97 Audio\Properties in Device status it says "This device is working properly."

It was years ago when the sound went and at first it was gone completely,
    What I tried so far to fix it is first roll back the drivers, still no sound
    then update drivers, still no sound
    then I uninstalled the Realtek AC'97 Audio redownloaded/reinstalled the software
    but only some sound and I cant remember where/how I got the Modem #1 Line Playback (emulated)
    but back then i didnt really care as I used another PC

Advertisement