Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal doors - non standard sizes

• 06-10-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Excuse the naive question. I'm replacing doors on a house built in the 1980's. While the doors are a standard width 30". The heights vary with some 76 & 1/2" and others 77 & 1/2.
    Am I right in thinking that I will need to get custom made doors as the standard ones one can buy obviously cant be cut?
    Any help appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Depends on the door type you choose.But they can be altered by cutting down to size,take proportianate amounts from both the top and bottom of the doors and it will look fine.
    If you are using press formed type door(white press panel type) you may have to remove the batton that is the bottom or top "frame" of the door and replace after cutting to size by using glue and panel pins ....all fine if done correctly.
    Should be no bother at all at least the width is standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

Cheers moonshadow. Haven't 100% decided on door type. I presume I wouldn't be able to use veneered doors and they cant be cut, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In this country, there is no such thing as getting a door that will just fit in to place. if its only an inch that needs to come off the door, I'd say its fine to get a standard door and trim to size

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

Ok i'm more confused than ever now. The guy who i've asked to put them in said no more than 10mm can be cut off. But do you guys reckon I can take off an inch, inch & 1/2 without an issue?

Advertisement