Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It occurred to me..

Options
  • 06-10-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

That the James Joyce Library could be very difficult to use for those with motorized or push wheelchairs. The aisles between bookshelves are quite narrow, and most of the time they are littered with stepping stools which would make navigating them very difficult. As well as that, anybody in a wheelchair would have no way of accessing books on the higher shelves without having to ask for assistance.
    I'm not pretending to have any idea at all of what somebody with mobility problems deals with on a day to day basis, but I think if I was in that position, I would find that not being able to carry out my studies in the library without having to enlist the help of numerous staff, would certainly affect how I would feel about my own independent learning. Though I could be completely wrong on this. Perhaps those who use a wheelchair have no problems at all with the library! I wonder can anybody enlighten me, I'm just curious :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I cant imagine wheelchair users being able to navigate their way around any part of the library really without assistance. The library would have to be 4 or 5 times bigger to have aisles wide enough for wheelchairs. I presume these students avail of the support of library stuff and the disability support services and while this may be inconvenient, theres no other viable option really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm assuming there's a separate entrance for people with mobility disabilities? I doubt a wheelchair could get through the turnstiles at the main entrance.

I think there's a big door into the library through the red doors at the end of the ground floor of the library (where the lifts to the maths department are)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think they just request their books at the reception and have them handed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'm assuming there's a separate entrance for people with mobility disabilities? I doubt a wheelchair could get through the turnstiles at the main entrance.

I think there's a big door into the library through the red doors at the end of the ground floor of the library (where the lifts to the maths department are)

To the right of the 2 entry turnstiles, there is a glass door, about waist height that is the entrance for wheelchair users. Or atleast thats how it was last year. And yes, Library staff / Disability support services help with anything that is needed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

A lot of places on campus dont seem wheelchair friendly, entrance to newman building seems like a struggle....plus having to sit at the very back row for all lectures doesnt seem fair.I had thought about the library too when first went there. So many steps/obstacles in the way and now with all the construction work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The Disability Support Service have their own librarian. All Theatres in the Newman have a spot at the very back which is on the same level as the concourse for people in wheelchairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I think they just request their books at the reception and have them handed to them

Typical! Everything handed to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Typical! Everything handed to them!

Care to explain your post further

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

unknown13 wrote: »
    Care to explain your post further

I do believe this is what we call a "tongue in cheek" reply ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

It would be great if UCD employed a whole boat load of personal library assistants so that nobody would have to trek around looking for their library books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It would be great if UCD employed a whole boat load of personal library assistants so that nobody would have to trek around looking for their library books.

Being honest I'd rather they had less staff and opened on Sunday instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

The UCD administration should temporarily enslave all of the engineering students and force them to build special robots which can navigate the library and get specific books for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Really, really bad idea! Enough staff have been cut and you have no idea how detrimental that is to the library. As I say elsewhere today, cut the 40 grand the SU spend on elections and give that to the library.

Really, really bad idea! Enough staff have been cut and you have no idea how detrimental that is to the library. As I say elsewhere today, cut the 40 grand the SU spend on elections and give that to the library.

Actually, that's a far better solution. That, and getting rid of class rep weekends and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Funny how half the money we give the SU goes towards the glorified piss-up they call the class rep "training" weekend...

Advertisement