Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Cream

Options
  • 06-10-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if a can of coconut cream is the same as a can of coconut milk, and if not where would I get some?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone knows if a can of coconut cream is the same as a can of coconut milk, and if not where would I get some?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think they're exactly the same, it's a bit like the difference between normal milk and cream. The coconut cream tends to be thicker and richer.

As for where to get either, try an Asian supermarket? It would depend on where you are, there are some very good ones in Cork and Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Coconut cream is much thicker and more calorific I think. It comes in a carton, should be were you find the cans of coconut milk.

P.S its very nice, (i use it to make satay sauce)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Coconut milk usually has more water in it.
    So the cream is thicker and richer.

Bit like regular milk and regular cream then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Just a fyi: Creamed Coconut comes in a block (similar to those old Galtee/Calvita blocks) and MUST be refrigerated.

I've seen it just on shelves in stores, very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Its UHT when in the carton, so doesnt have to be kept in the fridge. Its the only way ive seen it in the regular supermarkets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Yes, I just mentioned it as the names are v similar, it's worth being careful.

(I was involved in a salmonella outbreak in London, waaay back in the day. The stuff still makes me nervous!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JohnnieK wrote: »
    if not where would I get some?
    Asian/ethnic supermarkets. Some have a huge variety of coconut products, including frozen coconut shards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I got some sachets of coconut cream in Tesco's recently but even after putting them in a bowl of hot water I still found it hard to get any out of the sachets - any tips or is this a common problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

They are not the same. You can use the coconut cream instead but add an equal ammount of stock or water, ie. if ure recipe calls for 400 ml of coconut milk u can use 200 ml of coconut and 200 ml of water or stock. Hope this helps

Advertisement