Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new processor help

Options
  • 06-10-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

hey, i am thinking of replacing the processor on my computer. It seems to be running slow when i play some games

The one I have is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.01 GHz

Just wondering what a good cheapish upgrade of this would be. I'm getting confused looking for one:)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What's the model of your current motherboard? It all depends on how old your motherboard is :o

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

What type of graphics card slot does your motherboard have? AGP or PCIe?

There is a cool program called Speccy its free to download and wont' feck up your computer and will tell you lots of info about your computer hardware.
    Download it and see what it tells you.
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Like the previous poster said it would be great to know what motherboard you have as its the motherboard that you are basically upgrading. The CPU only tells us what CPU you have :)

Cheers

www.fixmypcardee.com <- for cheapest pc repairs in Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Thanks for the replies, the motherboard i have is:

ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 (Socket AM2 )

and it has a PCI-e graphics slot.

As per usual for ECS there's feck-all upgrade potential :rolleyes::mad:

If you need a big boost in CPU power you're stuck getting a new mobo as well as CPU at this point :( You could pick up an old Phenom1 second-hand but it probably wouldn't even be worth it if you have a X2-6000+ :o

What games are causing you misery?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

I don't play very many PC games. I've got GTA 4 which doesn't work very well, and fallout 3 plays fine some of the time but then it gets jumpy and just freezes. I play COD world at war too but never had any problems with it.

Maybe i'll just get an X-box!

• Advertisement

Mobo+CPU can be done for ~€100 + shipping in some places :)

GTA4 and a lot of newer games will be fine below 1080p resolution on your 9800GT, but will crawl to a halt on a dual-core CPU. A cheap tri-core such as the X3-440 would suit you down to the ground but that mobo isn't compatible :o:( Best idea if you want to continue using your PC for games (plus a big boost in apps too! ;)) is to do a bit of research and find the cheapest AM2 mobo possible that has the X3-4** on the compatibility lists and buy that and a cheap X3-4**. Sorted :)

Advertisement