Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag Science or Geography

• 06-10-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I recently started 5th year and I'm currently finding the ag science course fairly tough would geography be more...not easier but straight forward?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Geo would be easier (IMO) but Ag Science would defo be marked a lot easier. I'd say about 3/4 of the country does geo whereas only 1/4 does Ag Science (if even).

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I can't speak for ag science really as I didn't do it for the leaving but friends that did got on well. I heard that the text book is really dated, that things that appear on the exam are not always covered and it's unpredictable. That could be nonsense though.

I did geography for a year and I got on really well in the exam. The paper is very predictable and well laid out with plenty of choice. Loads of old favourites coming up every year. There is also field work that is worth a considerable amount of marks and the average grade in that is really high. I would definitely recommend it especially as you're only in 5th year.

Just be careful not to give up too soon though on ag science. Most people want to drop a few of their subjects in early 5th year and feel like they're under too much pressure or have made a bad choice but then you get used to them and it's not such a big deal after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

THFC wrote: »
    Geo would be easier (IMO) but Ag Science would defo be marked a lot easier. I'd say about 3/4 of the country does geo whereas only 1/4 does Ag Science (if even).

Ag Science is not marked easier. Where did you get that 'fact'? About 6000 sat the subject this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Hi there,

I recently started 5th year and I'm currently finding the ag science course fairly tough would geography be more...not easier but straight forward?

Thanks in advance.

I'm repeating, started Ag this year and did Geography last year. What other subjects do you like/are you good at? What have you done in Agricultural Science so far? Soil is fairly depressing the first few weeks, at least I found that... :pac:

Geography's a nice subject if you liked it at JC and there's much more to it than "how mountains are made" or topics like that... e.g. regional Geography, studying different areas based on what defines them, e.g. economy, culture. I don't really know which to say is "better" without knowing what you're like... are you doing Biology? There's more of a tie-in with Ag Science if you're doing Biology already than there is between Geography and Biology...

Advertisement