Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti in Turners Cross/South Douglas Rd area

Options
  • 06-10-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Anyone know the story behind the graffiti along the South Douglas Rd? Lots on the side wall of The Turners Cross Tavern and walls along the South Douglas Rd.
    Some of it looks professional and some looks horrible.

I cant believe someone was able to do it without being caught by someone passing by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's pretty much a designated graff area. A couple of years ago they got some pro's down for the Capital of Culture year. Some walls are designated for amateurs. I think there are a couple of Conor Harrington pieces up there too. A lot of the stuff there is pretty impressive stylistically. My problem with most of it is that it's so derivative, there is street art which can be innovative and moving and there is the Cork graff scene which seems to house a good few elitist posers, they don't seem to crossover too much.

Google White St car park and I'm sure you can find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

We have what do they call them tagger's or something, on Victoria road and it is so annoying.

I have been out scrubbing the crap they spray on walls many a time..I wouldnt mind if it was good, I love well done graffitti or just arty ones (even their name written well) but these lads just come down and spray an F or something on the walls and all over the doors or the business which is really annoying..Id love to catch one of them sometime and say look at least if you are going to the effort do something worthwhile, and spray the walls not doors..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

For every 1 good piece there thousands of awful ones.

It annoys me that everybody seems to think they're the next Banksy now. Its becoming a sign of urban decay. I remember not so long ago someone had sprayed a swastika and "white pride" on a wall down by the manhattan in Ballyphehane. Idiots.

as with buskers, good grafitti should be encouraged and they should have to apply for licenses. Bad stuff removed immediately and heavy fines imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Trashbat wrote: »
    For every 1 good piece there thousands of awful ones.

It annoys me that everybody seems to think they're the next Banksy now. Its becoming a sign of urban decay. I remember not so long ago someone had sprayed a swastika and "white pride" on a wall down by the manhattan in Ballyphehane. Idiots.

as with buskers, good grafitti should be encouraged and they should have to apply for licenses. Bad stuff removed immediately and heavy fines imposed.

or a swift kick up the hole.

Advertisement