Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HelP HTML

Options
  • 07-10-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I've just started to learn HTML but now I read that it's changing to HTML 5 and theirs also other things like XHTML and XML. Can I code without HTML. Or do you have to know HTML or just leave HTML out all together and just use XHTML and HTML 5.:confused:

W3SCHOOLS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Learn the basics....stick with HTML until you feel confident enough to move onto xml, HTML5, PHP etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Do HTML to get an overview with a view to learning XHTML much more comprehensively with CSS. Wait a while before bothering with HTML5.

Edit: also use validators for your xhtml and css

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

tricky D wrote: »
    Do HTML to get an overview with a view to learning XHTML much more comprehensively with CSS. Wait a while before bothering with HTML5.

Edit: also use validators for your xhtml and css

Definitely get used to HTML/CSS from the outset. Don't use tables for layout (unless for tabular data), and don't put any visual formatting instructions into your HTML file - they all go into CSS file(s).

(I often put CSS styles into the HEAD section of the xHTML document during development, but once I am happy with it it is stripped out and placed into an external CSS file.)

If you follow these rules, you will be on the right track for HTML5 and for "best practice" in xHTML.

A good start: http://www.csstutorial.net/
    Lots of good examples: http://htmldog.com/examples/

Advertisement