Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish troops may return to Lebanon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Could be just what's needed but just one question about the quote:
    "Instead, he said, it would be a 'high visibility low profile' exercise with frequent mobile patrols."....how does that work??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Could be just what's needed but just one question about the quote:
    "Instead, he said, it would be a 'high visibility low profile' exercise with frequent mobile patrols."....how does that work??? :confused:

Limit their activities to patrols only. no other missions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

No permanent checkpoints or manned OPs. Mobile patrol, in armour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Avgas

Probably a journalistic typo....but the intention may have been to signal a mobile MOWAG based unit would be deployed...perhaps combined Recce Coy ...rather than the full battalion of days gone by..........What puzzles me is whether it would be as part of UNIFIL II...but their mandate runs out in the middle of next summer 2011...which would mean Irish troops under UNIFIL would have to be on the ground next spring........or would it be as part of some new mission....perhaps with a new UN mandate (it would have to) but run by the EU.....or even NATO.....that might arrrive later in 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

high visibility low profile' take sme back to KFOR frago days. it means if i am right they are highly visible, but not a a heavy foot print. i.e no helmets etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

I hope its true..I did 3 tours to the Leb and it is an excellent way for a young Soldier to learn.

I'll be putting my name down for another tour:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

PDFORRA General Secretary Gerry Rooney said overseas missions are very important for the morale of soldiers and are also a good source of additional money.

A soldier serving on a UN mission can earn about €15,000 tax-free in allowances over a six month period.

Fair play to PDFORRA. He might as well have said "Mr. Lenihan, can you tax this please, ta"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

yekahs wrote: »
    Fair play to PDFORRA. He might as well have said "Mr. Lenihan, can you tax this please, ta"

brilliant idea isn't it - not only has he said 'please either tax the payments or keep the whole lot' (as many other UN troop contributing nations do), but he's, err... 'clouding' the the publics view of the very valid argument that Irish troops need regular overseas service in order to keep them well trained, well lead, well motivated and experienced.

a spectacular own goal.

OS119 wrote: »
    brilliant idea isn't it - not only has he said 'please either tax the payments or keep the whole lot' (as many other UN troop contributing nations do), but he's, err... 'clouding' the the publics view of the very valid argument that Irish troops need regular overseas service in order to keep them well trained, well lead, well motivated and experienced.

a spectacular own goal.

It mightn't have as bad if he had also mentioned that the state does not pay for UN missions, that the UN do! So it means we get the training for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

yekahs wrote: »
    It mightn't have as bad if he had also mentioned that the state does not pay for UN missions, that the UN do! So it means we get the training for free!

The state has to pay up first and then seek a refund from the UN. It took about 30 years to get the Congo money.

• Advertisement

Mary Hairy wrote: »
    The state has to pay up first and then seek a refund from the UN.

Correct
    It took about 30 years to get the Congo money.

Really? Thats a disgrace if its true.

We pulled out of Chad earlier this year, and payment details are almost finalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mary Hairy wrote: »
    The state has to pay up first and then seek a refund from the UN. It took about 30 years to get the Congo money.

About as long as it takes for Renmore to pay sub-money :p

Advertisement