Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Express 2005 on Windows 7

Options
  • 07-10-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have an installation of SQL Server Express 2005 on a Windows 7 Pro machine. My application can connect fine on the windows 7 machine. However, when another instance of my application running on Windows XP tries to connect to the server on Windows 7 I get an error saying Server does not exist or access is denied.

The Win XP machine and ping the server and browse its shared drives. They are on the same workgroup too. Windows firewall is off on both machines. I really don't think its a network issue.

Has anyone come across this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks
    Gav

P.S. Mods:
    If this is in the wrong forum, please move as you wish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you are trying to connect form another machine then what way are you authenticating access to SQL? Also have you allowed or enabled remote access? You can test by trying to set up an ODBC connection on the other machien using the native client to see if you get a connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

Are you definitely using the right connection string? i.e. host in connection string isn't localhost or 127.0.0.1? - This would explain why the application running on the machine with the instance of SQL could connect and why it wouldn't be able to connect on the other machine.

From memory, if it was a problem connecting remotely, you would get an error like "SQL Server is not configured to allow remote connections" or something similar.

Try installing SQL Server Management studio on the XP Machine and see can you connect to the instance running on the Win 7 machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

If you are trying to connect form another machine then what way are you authenticating access to SQL? Also have you allowed or enabled remote access? You can test by trying to set up an ODBC connection on the other machien using the native client to see if you get a connection.

Am using mixed mode authentication. User is SA. I'm pretty sure remote access is enabled. Will double check

Ronan_ wrote: »
    Are you definitely using the right connection string? i.e. host in connection string isn't localhost or 127.0.0.1? - This would explain why the application running on the machine with the instance of SQL could connect and why it wouldn't be able to connect on the other machine.

From memory, if it was a problem connecting remotely, you would get an error like "SQL Server is not configured to allow remote connections" or something similar.

Try installing SQL Server Management studio on the XP Machine and see can you connect to the instance running on the Win 7 machine.

Yeah, I'm sure the connection string is right. I'm actually trying to connect via Microsoft Retail Management System Admin app.

I'll give the Management Studio App. See what happens.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will an ODBC connection from the Xp machine connect to the database on windows 7?
    Have you allowed incoming connections in MSSQL (see the MSSQL Surface Area)? - any change if you change this too allow local & remote connections?
    Turn off/open ports on the firewall - any change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

have you tried looking the Windows/SQL Server Security log?
    you may get more information here?

kbannon wrote: »
    Will an ODBC connection from the Xp machine connect to the database on windows 7?
    Have you allowed incoming connections in MSSQL (see the MSSQL Surface Area)? - any change if you change this too allow local & remote connections?
    Turn off/open ports on the firewall - any change?

Checked this out a few days ago and it was set to accept local connections only. I changed it, rebooted the machine but still can't connect.

I've turned the the windows firewall off completely and removed the anit virus one.

Will look at the logs as Amen suggests

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When you try to connect at the moment, what error are you given?

kbannon wrote: »
    When you try to connect at the moment, what error are you given?

Nevermind, fixed this bad boy (and did a victory dance afterwards)

I changed the remote connections settings to listen on TCP/IP and Pipes and changed the order in which they listen, moving TCP/IP to 2 and pipes to 3 and it worked.

Happy days. thanks for the help

Advertisement