Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud computing, shifts in IT roles

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

lol - odd :) I'm not actually thats inaccurate for some reason. The official release is here:
    http://blog.dediserve.com/dediserve-acquires-ni-based-hosting-provider-opens-belfast-office/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Boskonay wrote: »
    lol - odd :) I'm not actually thats inaccurate for some reason. The official release is here:
    http://blog.dediserve.com/dediserve-acquires-ni-based-hosting-provider-opens-belfast-office/

"Executive Chairman" then - http://www.crunchbase.com/company/dediserve - linked to from the page you linked! ;)

Hardly worth dragging the thread off topic entirely over a technicality? My brother runs the company, I advise it - you can read that from my public linkedin profile too if you like.

Does my cloud experience make my opinion invalid too? Or is the fact I disclosed my bias insufficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Boskonay wrote: »
    Hardly worth dragging the thread off topic entirely over a technicality? My brother runs the company, I advise it - you can read that from my public linkedin profile too if you like.

Does my cloud experience make my opinion invalid too? Or is the fact I disclosed my bias insufficient?

No, the problem is that you didn't disclose your full bias, and tried to pretend that you had none by not mentioning it in the first place. Some round here may call that shilling.

There was no intention to hide anything, I simply mentioned the provider as an example and as soon as it was highlighted, I indicated a connection with the company. Afai understand, I wasn't doing anything in breach of the charter and the difference between 'my brother runs the company' and 'he runs the company and I advise him from time to time' is quite pedantic tbh, as the former very clearly indicates a connection!

As for dragging the topic off (which is against charter), I would suggest that the requirement for IT roles does not decrease with cloud, but the nature of the roles do change.

With SAAS and PAAS, the need for engineers to run networking, servers, storage, etc, etc, are no longer there, the 'architects' are now only needed by the cloud providers.

In IAAS there is still work for the local guys to do, but again, not in managing the architecture or the kit itself at a high level. It's all about consumption as a service.

There will always be a need for developers, designers, programmers, coders and front, second and third line end user support roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Back on topic please folks. If you have a problem with a post, like it lacking a disclosure, then please use the Report Post button (report.gif) to let the moderation team know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rc12572

Hi, just a quick question - I am investigating a cloud back up service provider and possible storage solution. Doing the usual to compare the different service providers however one thing concerns me; how do I know who else is using the shared space offered by my service provider? is there anyway for me to find this out off the service providers? or is that information that they would not be willing to disclose? My thinking is that if a vendor is used by certain other parties, it makes this particular cloud service provider more likely to be targeted for hacking etc. For example, the incident with wikileaks data being uder threat, they then were using amazons cloud; my thinking would be that this then makes amazon a likely target. Are these concerns unfounded? Does anyone know how I could find out for certain who is using the same service as I am?

Advertisement