Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time Lapse across dusk and into dark - how?

• 07-10-2010 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm planing on doing a time lapse of Dublin from late afternoon until dark, that would hopefully show all the lights coming on etc.

One minor problem, Time Lapses need to be shot in full manual, but obviously the exposure would need to be different from afternoon to dark. Also, if I mess it up, I can't just set it up again and do it, I have to wait for another evening when I'm free and try again.

So what is the best method of shooting like this and getting perfect exposure the whole way through??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

alexlyons wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm planing on doing a time lapse of Dublin from late afternoon until dark, that would hopefully show all the lights coming on etc.

One minor problem, Time Lapses need to be shot in full manual, but obviously the exposure would need to be different from afternoon to dark. Also, if I mess it up, I can't just set it up again and do it, I have to wait for another evening when I'm free and try again.

So what is the best method of shooting like this and getting perfect exposure the whole way through??

dont see why it would have to be shot in full manual, if it's over a long period might be easier to use aparture priority and let the camera adjust the shutter as the light drops off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Some cameras require full manual in order to leave the shutter open longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I'm using a D90. I did a time lapse a while ago, and the clouds kept blocking the sun, and being on full manual meant you could really see how dark it got when the sun went in. Leaving it on aperture priority means the camera will always try to perfectly expose the shots, which isn't necessarily a good thing in Time Lapse photography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm using a D90. I did a time lapse a while ago, and the clouds kept blocking the sun, and being on full manual meant you could really see how dark it got when the sun went in. Leaving it on aperture priority means the camera will always try to perfectly expose the shots, which isn't necessarily a good thing in Time Lapse photography

know what you mean now, guess it depends on the type of scene you're doing

Here's the one I was talking about. I work in the yacht club on the crane and the boats etc, so on my day off I thought it'd make a cool time lapse to see it all happening pretty quickly! Near the end I had to change card and knocked the camera and dial, hence the exposure goes as well as the frame being a bit off. Bit devastated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

When it gets dark and your camera tries to expose the scene, it will try to give you an apparently correct exposure. This is not necessarily a good thing for time lapse. I presume you want to capture the transition to dark in a accurate way. Then I'd suggest leaving it on manual.

As far as trying to get this done in one evening. Why wait till the actual night concerned to try this. Should you not do a few dry runs in the mean time from your home, out the window or something. That way you'll be able to understand the parameters your camera will need a little better.

Cheers David, your right in your presumption, hence my desire to leave it on manual like the one in the link above!

Love the idea of trying it at home, really embarrassed I didn't think of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

check out time lapse on this,
    is this achieved the same way?

2:44 onwards only.

The space ones are slick!!! I've got to try something like that! not sure I'd get quite the same result as 2:41 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Something that might help if you have a laptop is DcamCapture. It works great with my D90, it's free and has an intervalometer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! I have an intervalometer, and I'm a major Mac head and Image capture which is built in to the OS does that :) Appreciate the thought.

Ahh, macs...well here is a time lapse I did when I was experimenting with what my camera could do. Not the best but it was shot in aperture priority.

Looks good. You should speed it up so it runs more fluidly, I may give aperture priority a go out the window tonight!

Just remember to turn off the VR (if you have it on the lens you are going to use) and the AF on the camera body. Both cause problems in timelapse.

Just tried it this evening, didn't quite make it to full dark as I noticed the reflection of the computer etc. Proves aperture priority should work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Just tried it this evening, didn't quite make it to full dark as I noticed the reflection of the computer etc. Proves aperture priority should work!!

it may not be exactly what you had in mind, but actually i like the reflections. i'd like to see it get brighter as it gets darker outside, you could do a series of you doing mad crap* inside once the sun goes down, lol.

*fnarr fnarr not intended

Ye I see what you mean, it is kinda cool! but not what I had in mind for that particular one!

Advertisement