Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing own Alarm system

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Thanks (in advance) Altor - to be honest the bit that's intimidating me most is the fitting of sensors to windows - trying to make them fit properly, with the wiring tidy, etc. It'll bug me if it doesn't look right, yet I don't know exactly how to fit them neatly. The wires are hanging down the inside of the (PVC) window frames, so I'm guessing they need to be hidden?

Your welcome Dilbert75,
    Small trunk-en usually does the trick to hide access cable going into the sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

altor wrote: »
    If your looking to save yourself money install it yourself. It is straight forward enough to do. If you have any problems you will always get all the help you need here.

Oh! For some reason I thought the done thing might be to drill into the window frame hollow section just above the edge of the window reveal, thread the cables in there and then pull them out of the hollow section where they were coming into the back of the sensor - totally concealed.

But maybe that's evidence of my tendency to overcomplicate things!

Oh! For some reason I thought the done thing might be to drill into the window frame hollow section just above the edge of the window reveal, thread the cables in there and then pull them out of the hollow section where they were coming into the back of the sensor - totally concealed.

But maybe that's evidence of my tendency to overcomplicate things!

It could be done that way but the small trunk-en would be the way I would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Your way sounds a lot more do-able. I'll give Crimewatch a shout like Jnealon suggests. Thanks Altor.

Your welcome, I would also check out prices in Dublin also if your up this way. The difference in prices between suppliers is shocking ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That way works very well on PVC windows as long as you don't have to cross any joins in the PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

koolkid wrote: »
    Northwood Technology stock them. They are in Finglas.

Hi Guys
    Just an update on how I got on with the Visonic Powermax System.
    I bought a system off Northwood on Monday. As a lot of you have mentioned. It was fairly straight forward to self install.

Beleive it or not, the hardest thing was finding a store that sells a 3Amp fuse holder or breaker.

Thanks Again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am glad it all went well for you. Have you set up the monitoring?
    If you need any help with it you know where we are;)

pigeon1916 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Just an update on how I got on with the Visonic Powermax System.
    I bought a system off Northwood on Monday. As a lot of you have mentioned. It was fairly straight forward to self install.

Beleive it or not, the hardest thing was finding a store that sells a 3Amp fuse holder or breaker.

Thanks Again.

Thats good to hear, very good system plus easy to install. If you have it connected to your land line you will also have remote access to the alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

does any one have a manual for the aritech panel?? its the one with the small keypad;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Sent you a PM.
    Did you think we needed to see the picture??:rolleyes:

It is such a common panel, If you google the manual you can get it on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

KoolKid wrote: »
    Not much in it. You could probably get it off a supplier here for €300. Where are you located?
    Would you still recommend powermax? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Great Thanks, Can you recommend any online suppliers or bricks and Mortor shops in Ireland? Also looking for advice re electric gates. Got a price for 1500 to install Rogers underground motorised system but I could prob do a lot of the donkey work such as fitting the bases and getting the units wired to the gaff. Any recommendations? Thanks

All of the suppliers listed in the sticky would be physical shops. Re the gates, look at some installers in the sticky or on the psa register.
    Most would happily work with you re the first fixing.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Would you still recommend powermax? Thanks

The Powermax system is dated compared to the powermaster systems.
    I would also have a look at HKCs Quantum 70 for a wire free install.

Advertisement